Author Topic: Roll Pin Punches for CZ 75 "family"  (Read 6293 times)

Offline sirgilligan

Roll Pin Punches for CZ 75 "family"
« on: December 29, 2011, 09:04:00 AM »
What size punches are needed for detail cleaning a CZ 75, CZ 85, or similar firearm?

My research has lead me to the following:

(Note, a roll pin punch is a punch with a non tapered shaft and a round protrusion or nipple on the end/face which fits in the hole of the roll pin. A drift punch has a flat face.)

2 mm roll pin punch for firing pin block roll pin INNER pin
3 mm roll pin punch for firing pin block roll pin OUTER pin

1/16" - 1.6mm
5/64" - 2mm
3/32" - 2.4mm
1/8" - 3.2mm

I have found descriptions where the following is used:
1/16" punch for INNER pin
1/8" punch for OUTER pin

Also, it seems that some have used a flat faced punch instead of a rounded faced roll pin punch.

What do you use that works and that doesn't damage the roll pins or the slide or other components?

This video is informative. Note that it is specific to a vendor, but the information is still applicable.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/vid=89/pid=5551/Product/ROLL-PIN-PUNCHES

« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 01:58:35 PM by sirgilligan »

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Roll Pin Punches for CZ 75 "family"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 01:48:29 PM »
            To be perfectly honest, when I decided to make a mold of one of my CZ so I could cast a model of it so I could have holster and grips made for it, I did not realize that the liquid would literally get into ever itty bitty crack or hole. I had the big obvious ones sealed with tape, but that was not good enough, OH no not even remotely good enough :tongue:

Skip to the finish and I had to take the pistol apart down to the last screw and spring. After I had used a couple dental picks to get the molding material out enough that I could finally take the weapon apart I realized that I only have a couple drift punches and nothing small, I went to Home Depot bought one of every single punch that I thought would reasonably be used to take the pins out of any pistol. So now I have about 8 or 9 punches, in both drift and punch and the biggest set of Miniature driver tools I could find. Like Jewelers screw drivers but in both Metric and US along with nut drivers, Star drivers and every other screw or nut you can find on pistols and rifles. Cost about well less than a 100.00 total and a couple I will most never ever use including some of the miniature screw drivers, but better safe than sorry. I also suggest you invest in some dental picks, I get mine at the flea market since who cares if they are used as long as they can still get things out of tight and tiny places. Trust me when I tell you this. Get a punch with a really, really small diameter, cause if you ever make the mistake of taking the Safety apart to clean it. You are not only going to need that skinny punch (To go through the holes in the safety and the tiny little piece of metal that wholes the spring in place but a large plastic bag to to put it back together in.  :laugh: Actually taking a Thorazine or Ritalin or at least a Valium before you tried putting those three thing back together and get them to fit back on. Anything with caffeine in it would be a bad idea. so no soda's or coffee or chocolate while you are working on the thing.  :cool: Do NOT remove the thing that you are using to hold all the pieces together with until there is absolutely no room left between the frame of the pistol and the safety, and good luck with that.

The guy that came up with that design, was a sadist.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice