Author Topic: Intermittent sticking hammer/trigger in DA  (Read 6930 times)

Offline RGMac

Intermittent sticking hammer/trigger in DA
« on: October 01, 2011, 02:00:42 AM »
I've noticed something odd happening to my SP01 lately when practicing dry firing.

Occasionally when I make a very slow controlled trigger press, sometimes the trigger will come all the way back until it stops, but the hammer won't fall, or it will fall after sitting for a second or two with the trigger fully pulled.  This will happen with or without the slide/barrel in place.  Never a problem in SA, or when I pull the trigger quickly.  I thought there might be a bit of grit or something somewhere the works, so I oiled the hell out of it, pulled the trigger repeatedly, then flooded every nook and cranny with Break Free Powder Blast solvent while pulling the trigger repeatedly.  I let it dry, and relubricated, but the problem didn't go away.

Has this ever happened to any of you?  Anybody have any thoughts/suggestions as to the cause?  I'd hate to send it to Angus for them not to find a problem.

Offline RGMac

Re: Intermittent sticking hammer/trigger in DA
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 02:18:29 AM »
I should mention this, I purchased the pistol used in spring 2011.  It was made in 2006 according to the stamp above the extractor.  No idea bout total rounds fired, I've put about 800 through it.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 02:01:53 PM »
         I have heard of hang fire rounds that take a second or 3 to fully ignite, And miss fires because the slide failed to go fully forward or the breach failed to engage, but having a hammer simple sit there then drop is a new one on me. Frankly until you said it, it never even occurred to me that a hammer could fail to fall instantly once the trigger/hammer connection is fully engaged.

Some one here I'm sure may be able to come up with an answer, shortly. Maybe able to save the phone call. I would love to know the answer when you resolve the question please
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline RGMac

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 12:20:46 AM »
I'm right handed and even tried it left handed to see if it was maybe being caused by me putting some kind of lateral force on the trigger.  Still hung up.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 09:27:29 PM »
         Thanks DeeDubya for what ever that says but as you know Dave and Widge banned me from their forum website so I have no idea what the answer is that you linked to. Any chance you can do a cut and paste and make sure you credit the author?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:55:17 AM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 07:58:01 AM »
Thanks DeeDubya for what ever that says but as you know Dave and Widge banned me from their forum website so I have no idea what the answer is that you linked to. Any chance you can do a cut and paste and make sure you credit the author?

Rowing under the burning bridges here... facts are facts, and I thought these two identical problems with the same model gun were worth mention. I don't frequent that site and found this thread with a bing search. Notice the OP was from 2007. I hesitate to credit any of the replied posts as the correct answer to the problem because I have some doubts about all of them. As we all know, double-action linkage can be somewhat complex, and excepting the trigger, has nothing to do with the single action function. IMO a problem like this should be corrected by a gunsmith. Although seemingly benign, a problem like this could be distracting and indirectly cause an accident as a result.  :sad:
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:55:45 AM by GhostWarrior »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 08:48:57 AM »
         OK point taken, and ya 4 years out of date is a long time in pistol years. Just seems weird that a hammer could simply hang like that, But I totally agree I would at the least take it to a gunsmith, or send it to CZ-USA or CZCustom to have them check it over. I think one of the best things about a forum is that you get to hear about things happening to weapons that you would never even think of a second could happen. Weapons are a never ending classroom.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2011, 08:57:11 AM by GhostWarrior »

Offline RGMac

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 08:31:08 PM »
Thanks DeeDubya.  It does seem to be related to the safety.  As the trigger and hammer come back, the right side safety lever sticks out from the frame.  Squeezing in on the lever makes the hammer drop.

GhostWarrior, I seem to recall you mentioned a gunsmith in Florida that you trust with your CZ pistols.  Could you give me contact info for him?

Thanks,

Roderick

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 03:14:01 PM »
         Sure I use the guy my Gun dealer uses. He has checked out every single CZ I have bought on line and he looks them over, cleans them if necessary and test fires them to make sure they are functioning properly. The gun store is L&R Armory, in Kissimme, Fl (Orlandoish) their number is 407-201-6133. Robbie and Louis and their staff are really great, and I trust them completly, and so I trust thier gunsmith. Haven't regreated the trust yet.
         If you are closer to Jacksonville, then I could also suggest calling Shooters Firearms and Accessories in Jacksonville, Fl 904-737-4495. I had my CZ 550 UCS and Nightforce scope shipped to them since they were the only dealer in Nightforce scopes in Fl that was close enough to me and had them mount it and sight it in. Did really nice work.

I hope either of these helps you. Let us know how things work out.

b5.5dan

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 05:37:58 PM »
Any update here? This happened with my Kel-Tec, and when I sent it back, they had replaced 14 parts. It's a Kel-Tec. I didn't know it HAD 14 parts?  :laugh: