Author Topic: CC tomorrow  (Read 69010 times)

Offline jdr3366

Re: CC tomorrow
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2011, 06:16:06 PM »
Day 4

Very good day.

Yes, I noticed the sag. I will get a belt for Christmas. Tightening one more notch also helped improved comfort.
Bought an insulated shirt/jacket at Sam's. It hangs lower, covers better.

So, it took me about 4 days to feel comfortable. Not so bad after all.

Thanks all for comments and advice.

bigborephil

« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2011, 06:25:21 PM »
Here is the belt I carry.  It is very siff but really looks like a normal belt.  It is priced pretty good, too.

http://blade-tech.com/Blade-Tech-Looper-Belt-Series-1.5-wide-pr-1250.html

b5.5dan

« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2011, 07:45:05 PM »
That belt looks like good stuff. I have always used "nice" belts, but a "nice" belt isn't worth jack when you are CCing with a full-sized, steel framed combat pistol.  :cheesy:
I'll be getting a belt and a proper holster for Christmas this year too. Oh. And something nice to put into the holster and hang from the belt.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »
 jdr3366
       I would like to say thank you for this entire thread. You have done an amazing job of research, asking questions, listening, not losing your patience when it was very possible someone may have not known you well enough and talked down to you a little. And the most important thing is that you have posted a daily log of how things went, what you found out, what you felt, how things really work in the real world. Oh you can read everything there is on a subject, but until you actually do it for real you just can't possible know and sometimes can end up unpleasantly surprised by something that wasn't mentioned or was incorrect.

This whole Topic/Thread is going up as a sticky so that anyone that passes through or joins will see what you have done and experienced and maybe find answers to questions they were to embarrassed to ask, not even of their friends or family. You have taken the bull by the horns and are wrestling it to the ground and in the process helping others and even some of "Old Hands" learn something. Good man and thanks again for not only going through all this but posting it for everyone to read.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2011, 10:14:56 PM »
Thanks, GW.

Day 5. Everything feels natural today. Rig was comfortable. Funny, but sitting in the car is how I get the holster comfortable. I put it on before I leave the house. Then, adjust it forward or back until it's comfortable after I sit in the bucket seat. After that, it's good to go the rest of the day.

Went to On Target in Asheville to do some target shooting. They ordered a CZ P07 for another customer. I handled it for a while. Polymer with decocker. It was very nice. Liked the feel and the sights, but I still like my 75B better. The smaller size wasn't small enough for me to consider it an alternative for CC. The clerk told me they received a RAMI on consignment last week. Darn, I missed it by a day or two. It was sold.

I didn't CC when the wife and I went to the Cove tonight for dinner and a concert. My business casual attire was too tight fitting. Or, maybe I was just not comfortable in an environment that is so different from my daily jeans and sweatshirt routine. I was going to carry the wife's LCP just to maintain the discipline of CC. But then she decided to carry it rather than the Lady S&W, which she usually carries. That's right, she has CCed for over a year. I'm a little slower on that point. The RAMI would have been perfect, I think. Don't care for the S&W.

Here's another issue that has come up the past few days. I am sure I set the safety to on before I holster the pistol. But at least 3 times I noticed that the safety was off after I drew the pistol from the holster.  I know it shouldn't happen, and it is possible, I guess, that I forgot to set it. I'll keep careful watch over the weekend. Just wondering how common is that? Is it a sign of a poorly made holster??

b5.5dan

« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2011, 12:45:42 AM »
First of all, I would like to add my thanks to you for this post. Sometimes I feel like I've been carrying for a while, but it has only been a matter of months. This is a great read. I just went and bought myself a new holster. It's for a 1911, but fits like a glove. I'll put more about that somewhere else...

Now, you ask abut the safety being off... Is your holster custom-made for a CZ? I think you said it was and posted pics, but I can't see pics at work. I have had this happen with the safety a couple of times, on a couple of different pistols. People who know more would probably say otherwise, but my feeling is that it may happen from time to time when you are wearing concealment holsters. In an offset drop holster, nothing is as likely to rub up against the side of the pistol, but in an IWB, it's right against your body, pants, or whatever all day. As long as the trigger is completely and securely covered, even if the safety comes off, you are not going to squeeze one off. But you might consider another holster, and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2011, 11:06:33 AM »
The holster was not made for CZ. And it happened again this morning. It's either the holster or perhaps the safety on the pistol is a little weak???

At one time I was so concerned about the safety of carrying a chambered round regardless of the decocker or safety set up. Now, not so much. I'll keep an eye on.

How common is it to require an adjustment to the safety on a CZ 75B??? I assume it's not a complicated fix.

bigborephil

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 12:39:19 PM »
As long as you keep the trigger covered, you can not set off a round.  The importnant thing is that when you draw, you assume that the safety is off and keep your finger outside the trigger guard.   I have practiced this for so long carring Glocks, that I end up doing it on non-gun objects that are gun shapped (think drills and circular saws).   I do not know enough about CZ safetys to tell you about yours, but I know 1911s are bad about kicking off while in the holster if the sweat guard can rub it or if it is an ambi. 

Phil

b5.5dan

« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2011, 12:44:03 PM »
Yeah, it's not a weak safety. It just happens. Phil had some great advice; just assume safety is off but practice sweeping the safety witg your  thumb as you draw anyway. And it happens way more with my 1911 than my 75B.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #39 on: December 10, 2011, 06:27:45 PM »
OK, thanks.

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 10:45:44 PM »
I'm back one more time on day 10 of CC.

Yesterday, I bought a new jacket at Sam's Club. Instead of large, I bought XL. Wore it today for lunch with a friend. Surprisingly, it removed all the angst out of CC. Rather than constantly pulling down my sweatshirt, I just CCed it. My friend, a transplanted New Yorker and aghast at the idea of CC, had no clue.

One the way back to the car, my friend wanted to enter the library to ask a question. I came within about 5 feet of the metal detector (at least I thought it was a metal detector), and remembered it might be better to wait outside.

This one simple step (wardrobe adjustment), which I've read over and over again but resisted, made CC easy. CC is a process, and part of the process is rethinking your wardrobe and modifying it a little at a time.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 10:48:35 PM by jdr3366 »

b5.5dan

« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 11:08:43 PM »
Good man! We all appreciate you continuing the chronicle :cool:

Logan

« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2011, 07:03:08 AM »
Just FYI, the library probably doesn't have a metal detector. The things that kind of look like it work on the same principle as the ones at Walmart. A small RFID chip is put in the spine of the library books which is then detected if not deactivated at the front desk. It's an anti-theft device.

If it were a metal detector, it would detect all things metal, not just guns and would be going off all the time :)

Offline jdr3366

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 03:12:10 PM »
Good to know, Logan.

However, I would have been in violation of the law since I was in a public library (county building), as I understand the law in NC.

amryan11

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 04:39:25 PM »
I feel the need to add a funny note on this since restriction on CC came up.
Here in Kentucky, there are some places you are restricted from carrying- police stations, prisons, etc. the usual stuff. However, private businesses can ban it as well (I believe this is the case in most states). The funny thing is, there is no criminal penalty for carrying in these places. For instance, say the bookstore has signs  posted for "no concealed carry." If they find out that you're carrying, they can ask you to leave. If you don't you can be arrested for trespassing, if you do there's nothing they can do legally. Of course, if you're carrying CONCEALED properly, they should have no idea anyways. I just find it funny that in reality the signs basically imply "if you're caught we'll make you leave" and nothing more.