Author Topic: cz 83  (Read 7830 times)

jflowers001

cz 83
« on: August 07, 2011, 04:26:35 PM »
Anyone had problems with the magazine coming loose during firing with a cz 83 ?

b5.5dan

Re: cz 83
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 12:46:57 AM »
I never have experienced or even heard of this, but I would imagine it could happen. Unfortunately, I would think that it is probably gun-related rather than magazine related, but I could be wrong. Does the mag release button feel okay? Does it spring back when you press it? Have you switched magazines recently? Let us know. The more we know the more help we can be.

And if I haven't told you before, Welcome the CZ Forum!

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 03:45:26 PM »
I've seen a couple (not CZ's) where the mag release detent (notch in the magazine) became worn with rounded edges and would not lock in as tight as when new causing FTF problems. I have never seen a magazine come loose. I'd try a new mag first, if not then a new mag release. I'm assuming that the release is free and not binding. That's an area subject to sweaty hands.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

jflowers001

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 05:46:19 PM »
Thanks for the welcome. It is a new pistol. I bought it 4 years ago, fired a few rounds through it and put it away. Took it out over the weekend and the magazine popped out 4 out of five times. It is still under warranty so I called cz and got a return authorization number and sent it to them today. Thanks for the replies

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 06:37:08 PM »
Oooh... Having to ship a firearm is a pain in the ol' captain's quarters, but CZ does really quick work. If you ask them , they will tell you it will take a little over a month, but when I had warranty issues (stop me if I've already told you this story) my gun was back in under 2 weeks, and I shipped it out on the 2nd of July. Without the holiday I bet it would have been closer to just over a week.

The 83 was my first pistol, and I love it to death. It's a sweet shooter that always puts the bullets where I want them to go. Keep us informed, and let us know how tshe works when you get her back!

jflowers001

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 09:44:48 PM »
Got the 83 back couple days ago. Not too sure what to think. The invoice sent back with it said they modified the magazines. Looks like to me they stuck a screwdiver in the square holes (where the catch locks it in) and bent it out. So I guess I will have to do that to the spare one that I paid fifty bucks for. Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but I will soon.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:18:43 PM »
         OK no offence meant, please believe that but I find it hard to believe they did that and only that. It makes no seance at all. It would mean you would have to bend every single mag you bought. I would ask if you would call CZ-USA and ask them just exactly what the issue was and and how it was dealt with. I'm not in anyway saying you are wrong. I'm just saying that something is not correct here and needs some clarification. Possibly you only have a couple of mags and that's all you really need or want, but I allways have more than 2 less than 6 mags per weapon.

Actually, again no offence meant but were those mags the original mags that came with the pistol, when it was NIB? Maybe that's the problem? It's just that modifying the mags simply does not address the real problem. And I am shocked that CZ-USA would be so cavalier about fixing a problem with the pistol itself.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

jflowers001

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
Yes, That is what they did, that is what the invoice said "modified magazines". And yes, I have a third magazine that I did not send in, only the two that came with the pistol. I looked the thing over really close before I sent it back and I can see that the mags have been bent. When I get a chance to fire it I will try the mag that has not been "modified" to see if it works. I will measure all of them with a pair of calipers to see if they are different. I have bought three cz firearms in the last four years and this makes the second that I have had to send back for warranty. I was looking at buying one of their .45's, but I dont think I will now.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:51:29 AM »
A good friend of mine is production manager and part owner of a firearms manufacturing company. They also make their own magazines and he told me how tricky it can be to get them just right to feed well. Now I know you have a different problem but still, magazines do take some tweeking, especially if they are jobbed out to another company. Could be that CZ just got a run of magazines that didn't have the release detent formed to specs. Most CZ owners know that they have a good quality firearm. That's a very minor problem you have there.
DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

jflowers001

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 10:35:48 AM »
I don" know, seems like if it would have been magazines that were not built to spec they would have replaced them. I respectfuly disagree with it being a "minor problem" as i was going to use this pistol for concealed carry. It is an accurate pistol though, and I hope to get the " bugs" worked out.

b5.5dan

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 10:44:23 AM »
It's unfortunate that you are not going to buy another CZ, but I suppose you do what you have to do... I do know that of the 5 manufacturers of firearms whose products I own, 2 have been sent in for warranty work. 2 others would have been were it not for the fact that it was just cheaper and easier to have either myself or a local gunsmith do whatever needed doing. I also have a $40k car (upper-mid range European) that is in constant need of warranty work. The problem with anything factory made is just that; it's factory made. The smallest problem will manifest itself in a thousand units before it is noticed and corrected. It happens to Glocks, SAs, Kimbers, and 3 thousand dollar Bushmasters... It sucks, but c'est la vie.

I hope the problems you have with your current CZs are resolved to a degree which will allow you to enjoy them or use them as you see fit. 

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 11:43:01 AM »
I don" know, seems like if it would have been magazines that were not built to spec they would have replaced them. I respectfuly disagree with it being a "minor problem" as i was going to use this pistol for concealed carry. It is an accurate pistol though, and I hope to get the " bugs" worked out.

You're right, I should have said "minor problem to repair". It would be a major problem if you brought it into action and the magazine popped out on the ground. Reminds me of my first dove hunt as a kid. It was the first time my dad let me carry a loaded shotgun through the fields. Finally, we flushed some dove out of a cornfield. I got so excited that instead of cocking the old single shot, I pushed the lever next to the hammer, the gun opened and ejected the shell over my shoulder. Wow, my dad was laughing and I was eternally embarrassed.
DW
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 07:25:58 PM »

You guys make me Glad we have members like you, and myself. Sometimes we get caught up (or at least I do) in thinking we are the only ones to do something duffus, and or miss-state something. But we all do and at least here we all seem to be able to admit we are all alike in that sense. No one is perfect or as better than ourselves as we think. We do have fun here which is the main reason this forum was  started.

I have owned CZ's since the early 80's, and for whatever reason I have never seen some of the problems, that get mentioned here. Maybe because they have changed over the ensuing 30 plus years or somehow I got lucky with my pistols. The only time I ever had a problem of any kind was way back when and I bought a set of pachmeyers that were intended to fit a different make and model but were supposed to fit my CZ also. When I tried them out the mag refused to drop even a little. Never did find out what the problem was but I have never use Pach's since.

Sometimes, small things or not so small things (like jflowers001 mags.) can spoil a thing for us and we move on to something different that seems to work better. Only the thing is that the problem doesn't have to spoil things permanently. I have about 11 different models of CZ's and each one has its own issues and problems, Sometimes enough to make me not want to have to deal with them and simply downgrade to one or 2 models that have the least issues and work the best together.

I think some if not most of us all know different model pistols work best with a certain type of ammo than that of another pistol model, Sure almost any CZ will eat any ammo you feed it, but sometimes you find one pistol and one ammo that work, Or you find a type of mag that feeds better than any others at least in that pistol or maybe a couple others. Actually come to think about it My first CZ I ever owned would not feed hollow points, or any sort of wad cutter no matter what. Only recently discover than having the ramp polished fixed that issue, and it only took over thirty years to find out.

As usual I am babbling on when I suppose what I am trying to say (and badly I recon) is that. I hope you don't give up on CZ's, and as DeeDubya, b5.5dan, have said, mass produced is only as good as the machinery and the operators that run them. And even hand made one at a time by the same person using the exact specs, will still differ from piece to piece and craftsman to craftsman. If it helps you any I have mags made by CZ, (Pre-B's and newer), MecGar, and I think possibly ProMag (they aren't marked as ProMag I just think they are and I have no idea if ProMag even marks their mags.) I can loan you one or 2 each for you to try out and see how they work out, Then you can buy that model from now on. Let me know if you want to give that idea a try.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice