Author Topic: Replacement/conversion barrels  (Read 7253 times)

brianinca

Replacement/conversion barrels
« on: August 13, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »
I recently picked up a barely used CZ 75 in 40 S&W. For some reason it has an ambi safety, not sure what variant it sorts out to be, but it shoots well. Unfortunately I've found that I don't care for 40 S&W in CZ's any more than I care for the caliber in Glocks.

I thought I could order a 357 SIG barrel for the CZ, but EFK is not just out of stock, they now show discontinued on their page. I contacted a couple of their retailers and got the same answer - my assumption is their retail agreement is for drop shipping (perfectly reasonable).

Weirdly, given the popularity of CZ's, none of the "names" in the business show any signs of 40 S&W->357 SIG or 40 S&W->9mm, KKM has a CZ link that is EMPTY for pete's sake!

Is my google-fu weak and there are options, or will I just have to live with 40 S&W?

Regards,
Brian in CA

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: Replacement/conversion barrels
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 07:58:07 AM »
Do you have experience with a 357sig? I worked with a Sig P229 in 357sig for 10 years, shooting many different factory and reloads and never really got to like it. I finally ended up with the 40sw bbl in it most of the time. JMO
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

brianinca

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 09:05:42 AM »
>>>
Do you have experience with a 357sig
>>>

Yep, have had a Glock 33 as a carry pistol for about 6 years, it's my go-to if I can't carry my G30 (carried a Glock 21 for 10 years before that). I also reload for 357 SIG amongst all my other calibers. I have been shooting 357 Magnum since I was a kid, I prefer the "quick kick and get back on target" over the torque roll I get from 40 S&W. I'll take 45 ACP at that point. Dunno, just don't dig it.

I've been eying police trade-in Glock 22's, the first thing I would buy is 357 SIG barrel for it. I just wanted to try out a quality TDA and picked the CZ 75 in 40 S&W. At the time I put the pistol in CA's 10 day jail, EFK still showed out of stock and not cancelled at that point. Probably would have bought it in 9mm otherwise.

Well, thanks for the input, kinda bummed but oh, well.

Regards,
Brian in CA

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 09:59:30 AM »
Yep the 357sig is a "snappy" cartridge. For me, felt recoil is much like a 38 Super and I'm sure would work equally well with a comped bbl. Also, the bottleneck case lends to trouble-free feeding. I could not get the accuracy I expected out of my Sig P229. Changing the barrel to the 40 would yield good groups. I chronograph most of my handloads and could never equal published results in either velocity or accuracy. IMO it should not be compared with the 357rem mag. Anyway, I'm sure there's a place for the 357sig, but for me, I can easly live without it.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles