Author Topic: P07 slide lock issue  (Read 6254 times)

figgie5

P07 slide lock issue
« on: September 15, 2011, 03:56:33 PM »
I use my P07 for IDPA matches.  Randomly, it won't slide lock when a magazine becomes empty.  It will happen about once or twice a match.  I didn't know if anybody else was having this problem, or if anybody had any suggestions.  I'm not sure if these two things are linked, but when it does slide lock, if I put the new magazine in with a little bit of force, the slide will close by itself.  I don't have to push the slide lock lever on reloads.  This is a good thing for time during an IDPA match.  I just didn't know if the two could be related.  Any feedback would be helpful.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: P07 slide lock issue
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:23:19 PM »
                                                                           NOTE

Folks may think this is posted twice, But I suggested that he repost his question here besides the P-07 board. The P-07 is/was a good place to post his question since it is a P-07, I gave him my answer, but at the same time suggested he ask his question here also, The more help the merrier I always say. And it may be an easy fix, and I simply don't know it since I am not much of a gunsmith. I'll even repost my answer so if I am wrong I can get the correct information at the same time figgie5 does.

Re: Slide lock« Reply #1 on: Today at 03:03:54 PM »  

Actually, from what you describe I would say yes they are related. my guess and I mean guess is that there is somthing wrong with the slide release switch  and at the very least I would call CZ-USA to sent up a RA to have it looked at. Less likely in my mind is that there is a problem with A) the lower reciever, or possible the slide itself.

DeeDubya, DenStinett or AngryvikinMan or one of the other guys on the Ye Olde Blacksmith shop may have a much more accurate idea of the problem, you could check with them also.

I would like to add that without meaning to panic you in any way, but when you say the slide closes all by itself if you insert a mag too forcefully, I would seriously not use that pistol again untill it was checked. What you are describing could easly cause what is known as a "Small Fire" (when your slide goes home and your weapon discharges even though you have not pulled the trigger). Also know as a "Misfire", When that happens, the odds of you having your weapon pointed somewhere safe is unlikely, and you either have an accidential discharge w/wo injuries other than at the range and or you have a Range Accident if it happens at the range. Either one will have you ansering some very unhappy officials, especially if anyone including yourself gets hurt in the process.

As much as I love CZ. and I have at last count 14 various models, and a total of over 25 (the extra's are the same models I have and shoot with just NIB I am saving for my daughter to sell in her golden years and are technically "Safe Queens", I would unload her (your baby/pistol) and get an expert to check her over very closely.

Seriously I had that happen to me just recently after having handled countless weapons soince I was 18 and I'm 60 now. So a min of 40 years with a perfect safety record went to hell in a split second, I still have no idea what caused it, and I got a minor wound in the process, (Thats how I know about the unhappy officials :laugh:  ya not really funny but you had to be here when the LEO's and EMT's and 4 fire trucks worht of fire fighters got here and started in on me.), and it truely has me scared to death everytime I rack the slide and lower the hammer S L O W L Y. I still shoot as often as I can afford to but now I am double checking every single thing I do at home or the range, and it creeps me out that is happening. I guess it's part of the "Getting back up on the horse after it throws you syndrom" but I don't like it and I figure you won't either.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:24:59 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 04:34:04 PM »
The slide lock function is similar on many handguns. Very simply the slide lock pushes into a notch in the slide. When the notch in the slide becomes rounded or the slide lock itself is worn then it can fail to lock the slide open on an empty mag. When you manually lock the slide back, jamming in a new mag can jar it loose and drop the slide.

What causes this? Releasing the slide by pressing the slide lock:shocked:
The correct way to release the slide is to pull the slide back and let go. This will allow the slide lock to drop down and not wear the notch in the slide.  :grin:
I would remove the slide and look at the notch and the slide lock to see if they are worn.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 04:35:35 PM by DeeDubya »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 04:54:12 PM »
Thanks DeeDubya, I wasn't to far off at least, but not to far off is not the same as being right, I am glad you answered this.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

figgie5

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »
Thanks to both of you for the info.  Now, if the slide lock is worn, I can just replace that.  If the notch on the slide is rounded, how do I go about fixing that.  Should I send it to CZ, or is that something I can take care of myself?

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 11:34:24 AM »
The harder metal is going to win out. I wouldn't have a clue as to which piece would wear faster. Let us know what you see.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

TexinMaine

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »
I have had this issue with both my 75 B and Sp-01 Phantom. I noticed that the CZ has an unusual slide lock design compared to other firearms and think this is the one only flaw I can find with them. I am by no means a gun expert, more of a shade tree gunsmith from my own tinkering around. The lock looks like a diamond shape and only the very top point catches on a notch in the slide. Now the notch I noticed has a sort of ramped shape to it and I was wondering if perhaps this was squared off a bit more it might provide a better perch for the slide lock?? At any rate it does seem to me that the point on the Phantom slide lock is a bit worn which does correlate with the fact that it seems to fail locking back more often than the 75 B which does not have this happen as often. As for the slide releasing when a mag is inserted I have had this happen on several pistols I have owned and seemed to happen more often on a G19 I once had. Just by its very design I can see how this can easily happen and believe people are mislead by its name "slide LOCK". I think "slide tension and friction holder" would be more appropriate. At any rate I am going to order a new slide lock for the Phantom and see if this alleviates the problem any.