Author Topic: This should make me more competitive?  (Read 5496 times)

Offline frgood

This should make me more competitive?
« on: July 14, 2015, 01:55:29 PM »
Local Skaters gave me a sheet of grip tape. This turned out better than the major cost of those aluminum ones.
As my grip improves, with each and every use, the original grips and some grip tape actually feel better than the other ones.

Offline Orlandochuck

• CZFORUM.COM SHOOTING TEAM MEMBER
Re: This should make me more competitive?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2015, 12:21:14 PM »
Fred, that looks like it will work!
CZ 75 Shadow
IDPA Sharpshooter
USPSA
CZForum.com team member

Offline frgood

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 02:35:39 PM »
I"ll let you know on Sunday.

I had to change my work plans and don't leave for the airport until 3. I might have be ale to run USPSA Sunday morning. The pro am is out since I can't get home in time even for an AM shoot.

Offline Cantankerous

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »
How did the grip tape use go?  I'm dying to find out.  I've been considering doing the same, but I'd rather hear from someone who has shot 200 -250 rounds in the sweltering heat during one afternoon to see if it is practical and grippy or if it turns your hands into meat sandwiches.

Offline frgood

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 05:33:24 PM »
In the heat, it did start to pop up on one edge. But I think it is more about pressure during the application.

So far, after three matches, and about 500 rounds, I say we have a winner. The extra grip is to my liking. I found that as I continue to increase my grip strength the wider stance of the original grips, and the new tape, really feel good. The aluminum one were far to thin.

I may buy a spare original grips and reapply grip tape with more diligence. make sure to clean the grips with alcohol  and have some form of complete coverage of pressure for a few days after applying. Be careful to crease the edges to ensure proper adhesion.

Offline Cantankerous

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 04:42:49 AM »
Great to hear! I'll have to try it out.

Offline frgood

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 09:20:53 AM »
As an update.

Last night I took a good look at the grips. It seems that the left side (I am left handed so the strong side of the pistol) the tape had slid forward a little. This is definitely due to the pressure of my grip. I pulled it off and repositioned back in place. This has to be linked to the stippling of the original grips. I don't think it is an issue. But It is something to note.

I think some form of permanent adhesive will resolve the issue. perhaps 3M spray adhesive. I'll try it this weekend and report back.

Offline Cantankerous

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
So the grip tape didn't tear up your hand?

Offline frgood

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 05:15:41 PM »
No not at all. it slipped, a little, on the polished woods grips.

I should probably sand down the wood grips for a better contact. Remember this stuff is designed for skateboards which is far more abusive.

Offline Orlandochuck

• CZFORUM.COM SHOOTING TEAM MEMBER
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
I need to try that!
CZ 75 Shadow
IDPA Sharpshooter
USPSA
CZForum.com team member

Leo

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2016, 07:50:17 PM »
Just an FYI. Jessup skate/grip tape is what Talon Grips sells as "Talon Grips". The key to keeping the grip tape on is surface prep (clean with alchohol). Once applied heat it with a heat gun or hair dryer and press onto the surface firmly.

Save yourself a lot of money and buy your griptape from skateboard shops. A 9"x33" sheet goes for about $6.

Offline frgood

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
Grip tape cost was zero. Skate shops have plenty of waste of assorted grits and colors.

Leo

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2016, 11:55:32 AM »
Grip tape cost was zero. Skate shops have plenty of waste of assorted grits and colors.

True. I have gone in there asking for the scrap pieces and have gotten them for free. Just felt bad so I bought a big sheet.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2016, 08:42:34 PM »
I've used this tape on many of my handguns with good results. Lasts about 2 months during the Florida summers and as much as I shoot.