Author Topic: Question Regarding CZ Shotguns  (Read 8779 times)

Panoply76

Question Regarding CZ Shotguns
« on: February 07, 2015, 11:04:04 PM »
Hello everyone,

This will disgust some of you, amuse some others and some will really 'get it.'  Are any of the CZ pumps capable of taking a bayonet lug easily?  I mean, I'm sure it's possible to put any damn thing down there at the business end, I'm just hoping that one of the models is ready to accept one.

I had been keeping in the back of my mind buying that Mossberg 590A1 that had a bayonet lug and even came with a bayonet, but it seems they've stopped producing those.  Just as well, I suppose, as I have fallen head over heels for CZ - the last 4 firearms I've bought have been CZ's and if I can find a shotgun to take a bayonet easily, there'll soon be a fifth.  Hell, if no shotguns come with bayonet ability anymore, which would break my heart for waiting so long  :embarrassed: I'll be choosing a CZ pump anyway.  Well, most likely anyway.

Here's hoping one of y'all can help, regardless of your opinion of having a bayonet on a shotgun.

God Bless,
JBugs

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Re: Question Regarding CZ Shotguns
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 11:15:49 PM »
That's a great question!! You would probably be best served by calling either CZ-USA or CZCustom directly and asking them....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Panoply76

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 05:46:06 PM »
Well, yeah - I could do that.  I thought I'd ask y'all first.  After all, isn't that one of the raisin detrees (raison d'etre - fans of the movie 'Raising Arizona' will get the joke) of forums?  By the way, I did shoot CZ Custom an e-mail a couple days ago.

The folks at CZ Custom may be able to tell me that yes/no (most likely the latter) such and such shotgun can be fitted with a lug, But I figure someone out in the 'after market' area will be more able to tell me how it might be done.  Or ANYTHING!  Heck, there's always the plug bayonet...

But thanks for the advice!  I was genuinely afraid I would run into one of those miserable types who heap scorn on anything they can find the reason to.  You know the type.  Some personal deficiency that leads them to become rude, discourteous, condescending, superior - well, you get it.  I suspect it's either the path their lives have taken or perhaps it's just as simple as the way they weren't raised right.

So I'm glad someone helpful responded.  Maybe the next guy has even figured out a way to affix a lug simply and safely to some CZ shotgun or other.  I'll have to wait and see.

Sincerest Thanks,
Pan   :grin:

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 06:08:01 PM »
          I have a Winchester 12/12 Riot gun and a Winchester trench gun, both of which have Bayonet lugs. However, I looked through all the books I have on CZ's of any kind, even going back to WWII, (I actually books going back even further but not sure I ever saw an CZ Shotguns of any kind going back to WWI) Didn't see any shotguns made by CZ but possibly you can look up Brno and or Huglu. I know BRNO's go back that far but not if they made Shotguns.

Actually considering shotguns have been a European staple for just about everything shotguns can possibly used for, I would be REALY surprised if they didn't have shotguns, maybe even Pump Shotguns with Bayonet Lugs(Pump Action Shotguns are pretty much looked down upon, as being not sporting. Especially in England, Never ever bring a Pump to a bird hunt in the UK. Bad form and then some.)

Sorry I really don't have much of anything on either Huglu's nor BRNO's, but I am always looking for more books regarding them and CZ. I might suggest that you send an email to the CZUB plant and ask them. Or if you can wait, I am going to the NRA Convention in Nashville in April, and I think one of the CZUB Reps to CZ-USA will be there and I can ask him. Especially if Wayne or Craig' reminds me to ask. I have a horrible memory, but I will try to remember to ask.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Panoply76

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 10:29:14 PM »
ey!  Thanks Ghost Warrior!  That was incredibly kind and generous of you to do that research on lugs.

As an aside, why don't our cousins over in England (and Europe, too?) look down on pumps?  Is it an aesthetic thing?  I have to agree that side by sides and over/unders are far better looking guns than pumps or autos.  I'm betting their disdain for pumps extends to autos as well, but correct me if I'm wrong.  One, well two, exceptions (in my admittedly relatively inexperienced opinion) are putting ribs on over/unders and those raisable cheek-pieces (the stock cheek piece applies to ANY gun in my mind).  Those detract a lot from the looks of a gun and I'd avoid them on anything.  Well, maybe if I were a military sniper like the late great Chris Kyle (God bless him and his people) and had to use every trick to kill the enemy.  But as for a duck or buck?  I'd rather have the more attractive gun and just a bit less of a chance to hit.  One gun I'm determined to have one day, even though it's no longer in production and would be hard to find one in good condition (and some nut willing to part with it!) is the Brno Effect FS.  The epitome of firearms gorgeousness.

Back to bayonets/lugs.  Maybe the CZ Custom guys will have some leads.  I can't find any contact info for CZUB at all.  If you have it, I'd appreciate your giving it to me.  Or if that would violate some trust, then maybe you can e-mail them yourself?  Heck, I've a friend who's a welder - but I VERY much doubt he could do the job without it looking very, very ugly.  Serviceable, but fugly.

God help me, if I can't work this out in the next few months or a year I'll have to buy the d/c'ed Mossberg before they become too scarce and/or expensive.  Thing is, I'm having a special walking cane made up now which is going to tie up my disposable income for quite some time.  I'll attach a photo of one of the potential heads of this cane I'm working at having made.  Well damn.  Can't figure out how. 

Panoply76

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 10:32:14 PM »
tets

Panoply76

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 10:34:37 PM »
GOOD BIT MISSING.  GIVEN UP TRYING TO FIX IT.  Here's the very last bit...maybe
Please keep your ear to the ground on lug equipped/equipable CZ pump shotguns.  Save me from going Mossberg  :laugh:

Sincerest Thanks,
Pan

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 05:20:22 AM »
After 5 minutes, this was about all I could find. If I can remember here in a bit when I can wake up and use more than one eye to look at the screen, I'll see what else I can find.

http://sjhardware.com/store/modules.php?name=catalog&file=index&cPath=107_121

Panoply76

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 07:39:08 PM »
Yeah, stuff like that abounds it seems.  Anyone have one they can try to fit it on a CZ pump?  The 612 HC-P for preference.  Be extra wicked if you could get one on that 712 practical.  My God, talk about intimidation!

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 07:58:24 PM »
Mag tube is way bigger than 1 inch diameter on that one.  :cry:

Panoply76

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 03:15:08 AM »
Heck.  Figured it would be too good to be true.  surely one exists for the 612?  right?  Looking for affirmation here.  A friend has offered to give it a shot.  he's a welder and has access to a fully equipped machine shop.  he was more than a little... celebratory at the time and besides a purpose built job is the way to go.

Anyone know if one of these Remington or mossberg lugs would do the job?  instinct says 'no' so the hunt must continue  they're pretty much all that's out there and frankly I don't know enough to be able to tell anyone the diameter of any cz shotgun at the 'terminal' end for either the tube or the barrel, far less both.  and I haven't heard a peep from czcustom.  Surely one of y'all know?

Ideally, someone here knows of more than one size lug, meaning not just to take an AR's bayonet.  love to find something to accommodate something more substantial.  it's all about the look of the thing.  I'm very much aware that a bayonet's usefulness outside of a battlefield is approaching nil - and not too much better on the battlefield.

I guess I'm the only one thinking like this, or the only who had read this post anyhow.  if I find out anything in my ongoing hunt, i'll post it back here for the next guy with a yen for a funky shotgun.

think on it.  a CZ shotgun with a heatshield,  fiber optic sights (or rail up whatever you'd like, just red 'empire red' fiberoptics sights for me) and a sword bayonet.  if for no other reason than you COULD?

well, here's hoping one of you can help me.

cheers and keep dreaming!
Pan

Modified:  Angry Viking, I very much appreciate your help anyhow.  I sincerely appreciate your replying.  It's mostly crickets out here.  I thought I'd be inundated with replies like my place was in Katrina!  lol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:01:32 AM by Panoply76 »

Offline Angryvikingman

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 02:20:53 PM »
You should get one of the old style sword bayonets, like from the type 30.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Type_30_bayonet

You'll have to machine a knob for the hole in the guard to on and affix it to the mag tube, and then a lug and lug holder to fit around the tube. Should be fairly easy for your friend to do if he's a competent machinist, as long as he has a Lathe, and CNC/milling machine.

Panoply76

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
You may be on to something!  I printed your post and I should see him this weekend.  i'll keep you posted!  thanks!

Panoply76

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:45 PM »
I have decided to go with a double barrel, after much reflection and an ENORMOUS amount if input from other forums and word of 'mouth research.'

Turns out, there do seem to be picatinny rail adapters to add a bayonet lug.  This doesn't apply to CZ shotguns, but to many others.  There are even some magazine tube adapters, for other types of shotguns of course, that would PROBABLY work on a CZ - but CZ doesn't have any hi-cap pumps so it would need to be a mighty long bayonet! 

I DID find some guys on YouTube (I wish I'd bookmarked the video!!!) who had made a sort of axehead bayonet that basically made your shotgun into a sort of halberd (the spear/axe hybrid the guy on a bottle of Beefeater's gin is carrying).  It looked pretty wicked, not practical but cool, and with a picatinny rail mount see no reason a CZ couldn't be made into this zombie apocalypse (hey, spelled it right on my 1st try!) weapon.

So come on CZ!  That's 3 things to work on getting into general production: hi-cap pumps, bayonet lugs and revolvers.  Were they to ever make a revolver, especially a J frame, I'd be first in line!

Well, wish me luck with my CZ double barrel.  I have so much to learn before I pick a model, or even a gauge!

Cheers!
Pan

Offline Panoply

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2016, 08:01:37 PM »
Just closing out this thread.

I ended up buying a 20 gauge Bobwhite.  Apparently, it is now D/C'ed.  I'm sure glad I got it when I did!  I love the 'European' straight stock and can shoot the wings off a gnat at 100 yards with it!

IMHO, a 20 gauge is a better choice for the game here in south Louisiana and for skeet/trap as well.  I'll save 12 gauges for fending off two legged predators.

Couldn't be more happy with my choice, though I still have a tacticool shotgun spot to fill!

~Pan
Be Well & God Bless