Author Topic: 75 P-01 and Hornady critical defence rounds  (Read 5630 times)

JTHub

75 P-01 and Hornady critical defence rounds
« on: November 13, 2014, 01:33:47 PM »
Hello All,

New CZ owner here and love my 75 P-0!! Last week I bought a box of Hornady Critical Defense cartridges.  Has anyone used these rounds and if so have you had any issues with the cartridges feeding?

Thanks!!

Offline Cantankerous

Re: 75 P-01 and Hornady critical defence rounds
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
CZ's eat everything and the P-01 is no exception.  You should shoot it and give us a range report!! :cheesy:

JTHub

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2014, 03:21:45 PM »
I plan on doing just that. The initial issue is the first round when the clip is full doesn't want to feed and the second round is pulled forward in the clip.  I tried it with only 10 rounds in the clip and it seems to feed easier. Time to hit the range as you suggested.

Thank you!

Offline Cantankerous

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2014, 03:29:23 PM »
I have done this in the past when dealing with your concern:  with new magazines, I'll load them up completely full and let them sit for a few days if I'm not going to the range for awhile.  If I haven't done that, then when I get to the range, I'll only load up 5 or less for the first few times through the magazine if I'm worried about feeding issues.

I don't think this is necessary, but there is nothing more discouraging than loading up a new pistol/magazine and having it choke on the first round.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2014, 03:34:28 PM »
           First I would like to say WELCOME to our Forum to both you and Cantankerous. I hope you get as much information and enjoyment out of our forum as I do.

Sometimes, feeding issues can be addressed by polishing the ramp, if you know how I would say give that a shot, otherwise let a gunsmith polish it for you. It can not only tricky to do but also Overdone. (That would be a Bad thing :cool:)

Another question may stem from the following question: Did you buy it brand spanking new Box, Lock and Papers included or did you buy it second hand? if it's the later then you MAY want to have either the recoil spring swapped out or the ejector spring (Really don't think that is the issue but when all else fails try the weird stuff it may work) Also if used you may need to give the Mag a good cleaning inside and out, Just be careful to really hold onto the spring when you remove the base plate, cause that puppy Will launch.

And as always make very, very sure the weapon is empty in every way. Even folks with years and years of experience sometimes make mistakes. No Offence.

GW
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2014, 03:36:03 PM »
What Cantankerous said.  :grin:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

JTHub

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2014, 03:49:41 PM »
Thank you for the welcome!!  The pistol is band new and I have already shot almost 500 rounds through it with cheap ammo...and no issues. As was suggested, I need to take it to the range with these rounds and see what happens.

Thanks again!

Offline Cantankerous

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2014, 05:54:55 PM »
I use Lucas x-tra heavy duty gear grease designed for marine applications. Got it at the Home Depot: 16 oz. for under $5.00.

It's designed for heavy heat, friction,and rust. I've been using the same tub for years now. Any duty grease I think should work. There is marine grease at Wal-Mart that works great too. I also still use Rem Oil or CLP to coat the inside of the barrel and hard to reach springs if need be.

I once found rust inside a rifle bore of a gun I'd put in the safe for months. It freaked me out! So now I'm thorough with the lube and sleep easy at night.

This is the way I take care of my other similar tools also.

JTHub

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 03:56:38 PM »
Had a little time this afternoon at lunch and stopped by the range. I had a box of 25 rounds so it didn't take long. I loaded the clip to capacity (14) and chambered the first round with no problem. No problems with the first clip. Second clip I didn't have enough rounds to fill the clip so I added in some other rounds first. I wanted to start with all the pressure of a full clip. Again no problems.  As I thought about the problems I was having with the first round not feeding well I realized that I was controlling the slide and not letting it do it's job. At the range I let it go and it didn't have any problems and there were no problems with subsequent rounds feeding.  As a result I purchased a replacement box and will sleep easier now.  :grin: