Author Topic: 2014 CZ P-09 sights are worse ever  (Read 19971 times)

michaeld1953

2014 CZ P-09 sights are worse ever
« on: March 21, 2014, 09:46:11 PM »

I had to order my 2014 P-09, black from Damascus, sight unseen.  Not their fault but these so called tritium sights are the dullest color and tiniest sights I have ever seen.  It is my opinion that CZ should take this gun and replace these sights with 3 dot white novaks or fiber optics because these sights are awful.  The gun is awesome, don't get me wrong but the sights have no glow to them at all thus very difficult to make your target.
Had I picked up the gun at a store where I could handle it, and would have looked down the sights, I would not have bought it.  My P-07 wound up being a 2013 and has the goal post white rear sights and are right on.  I am going to contact CZ and see what they have to say because I don't think I should have to pay $80 plus dollars to get new sights and have them mounted and dialed in.  What do you guys think? Thanks. :angry:

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
Re: 2014 CZ P-09 sights are worse ever
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
Only the FDE version is spec with tritium. All others are have the std 3 dot paint sights. Pretty normal for cz factory gun with price point under $500. CZ pistols with factory supplied tritium run $600, which the FDE will be under.
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com

michaeld1953

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
Okay, then they used the sorriest excuse of paint out there.  Until I can get some from CZCustom, I will buy some green flurosent paint and make real dots or buy some 3 dot white novak sights.  The manual had referred to them as tritium.  Thanks for the help

Offline exxonv

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 08:17:56 AM »
Just picked up a P-09 (2nd CZ for me) - the sights are okay stock, not horrible, not perfect.  The paint they use will get really bright w/a nice flashlight and mine are able to stay pretty bright for up to 30/45 minutes.
That said, I just bought the CZ P-09 Tritium Sights from the CZ-USA sight for $85.  Hopefully these are on-par w/Meprolights (probably made by them too?  :)). 
Cajun Gun Works also has a short reset kit that I bought, so when all is said and done, this might be my new IDPA rig.
My buddy is going to keep the stock sights for awhile.  Not a bad setup for -$500. 
One last thing on the sights, because the CZ P-09 slide is so long, that front sight sure does seem far, far away ;). 

PattonWasRight

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 03:12:41 PM »
Any pics of new sights are appreciated.

Offline exxonv

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 03:20:57 PM »
Any pics of new sights are appreciated.

When I get them installed, I'll post a few pics

Offline exxonv

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2014, 10:16:04 PM »
Okay, finally received the night sights from CZ.  Here are the front and rear sights compared:

Front Sights (Tritium on left)

Rear Sights (Tritium on bottom)

No size difference I can tell on the rear (dot-wise), but they do seem a little further apart.  You can see a different w/the front sights.  The Tritium sight looks a little bigger.  Both front sights are #3's. 

Here are the sights installed (rear came out best in the picture): 

Shot it today w/the new Cajun Gun Works SRS kit installed (that was fun to put in :)), and she's one fine pistol!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 10:21:22 PM by exxonv »

PattonWasRight

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 10:41:33 PM »
Nice, thanks for the sharp & detailed pics. Looks like serious, meant-for-business sights.  How do they look in the dark ... good glow, fast & easy to see?

The Cajun components ... no small task to install and fit it sounds like? I hear good things about their stuff.

Offline exxonv

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2014, 07:44:50 PM »
Hey PWR ;),
The Tritium is nice, just as bright as my Trijicon and TFO TruGlo sights.  The Meprolights might be a tad brighter, but it is all subjective.  I think they are awesome. 
The CGW kit is exceptional.  Might be sacrilege for those of us who love SIG's w/the SRT kit, but in my humble opinion, it is every bit as good, plus you get a better firing pin and a nice reduced power hammer spring, etc. 
I shot the CZ P-09 today in an IDPA match and the gun was fast and accurate!  I'd put it right next to my P226 E2 w/SRT and TruGlo's as my favorite pistol.  The muzzle flip was almost nothing, the recoil came back more than up, the reset was quick, the DA and SA was exceptional, and the gun is a tack driver.
A friend of mine shot my P226 and did very well (his first match) - side-by-side, they are very comparable in many ways w/the CGW SRS kit installed. 
I will say the SRT kit gives a bit of a crisper break off the sear, but the CZ P-09 w/the SRS kit gives a lighter SA feel. 
The P226 handles muzzle flip with the weight of the gun, the P-09 with the low bore axis. 
The Tritium sights were exceptional on the gun!  I'd like TruGlo TFO on this pistol a bit more, but hey, at least CZ has some great sight options.  The CGW fiber sight looked great, but I like Tritium on my pistols.

Nice, thanks for the sharp & detailed pics. Looks like serious, meant-for-business sights.  How do they look in the dark ... good glow, fast & easy to see?

The Cajun components ... no small task to install and fit it sounds like? I hear good things about their stuff.

3RDBATALLION

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 07:15:12 AM »
I just ordered a CZ PO9 and plan to change out the stock "Night Sights". You would think that CZ would offer the Tritium style sights as an option with the standard models? Yeah, I know the FDE model comes with the upgraded night sights but if I'm getting a great deal at $510.00, for another $80.00 for quality Tritium sights, to me it's a no brainer!? CZ should offer the upgrades from the factory as an option (IMO)! Guess I'll check out Cajun Gun Works for a set!

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 12:54:29 PM »
Welcome to our forum!! Congrats on the 09, that is a great pistol!! I agree and think they should offer upgraded sights.......When you get the new sights, let us know what you chose.....Look forward to hearing more from you!

Again, welcome to our forum!!
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

michaeld1953

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2014, 08:04:34 PM »
I painted my sights temporarily with fluorescent orange on the front sight and fluorescent pearl white on the rear and I like it but am going to have Cajun or CZ Customs do a jam up sight job on it for long term, because those factory sights are shameful.  What a lousy thing to do to an awesome weapon.  I paid $480 for it so what is another $80 or $100 for a weapon that I will have forever and pass on to my grandkids.  With what I have done now the sights are right on the money.

Radom

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 01:33:34 AM »
I painted my sights temporarily with fluorescent orange on the front sight and fluorescent pearl white on the rear and I like it but am going to have Cajun or CZ Customs do a jam up sight job on it for long term, because those factory sights are shameful.  What a lousy thing to do to an awesome weapon.  I paid $480 for it so what is another $80 or $100 for a weapon that I will have forever and pass on to my grandkids.  With what I have done now the sights are right on the money.

At the end of the day, they will sell more pistols at the $500 price point.  You don't have to like it, but it makes more sense from a manufacturing/marketing standpoint. 

To digress a bit, let's look at the 75/85 series pistols.

The OEM sights on 75/85 series pistols have always been mediocre.  I've never paid more than $400 NIB for any of mine, including a 75B SA that is one of the best shooters I've ever owned.  Replacing the sights is just part of the deal if you want something other than a range pistol.   

Now that these pistols are getting close to $600, I'm not so forgiving.  (The 85 Combat is now closer to $650, but it has decent OEM sights, FWIW.) 

To be fair, I wouldn't carry an all steel full-size 9mm, so I don't want to pay more for tritium sights that I'll never want/need.  Obviously, the P-09 is intended to be carried, so I am more sympathetic to your concerns, but it still makes sense to offer the "basic" version without proper night sights for people who will never carry the pistol, or can't legally carry where they live. 

Also, North America is the biggest market for CZ-UB now, but it isn't their ONLY market.  This is why there are now three different versions of the model.