Author Topic: First time ever my 40P has FTF.... HELP  (Read 3207 times)

czfanatic

First time ever my 40P has FTF.... HELP
« on: June 09, 2013, 08:46:38 AM »
I have had my 40P for many years now and never had a FTF (failed to feed) issue, yesterday I did a Citizens Firearms Safety Course and during the shooting range course had several fail to feed issues which worries me and I am looking for assistance to find out why and what can be done to resolve this.
Due to severe lack of ammo I found some American eagle ammo made by Federal and purchased that normally I use Winchester ammo, I did have a FTF some time ago with the Winchester but it was only once so I put it down as 1 bad shell out of the 500 and nothing to worry about. As of yesterday I am concerned ...is it the ammo, did I clean the gun correctly,have I been cleaning correctly and now have a build up somewhere I dont know about that could be causing this.....please help all suggestions and advise will be extremely helpful.
I do clean the gun after every practice and store it lightly oiled I rotate the magazines every month by removing the ammo from one to the other making sure each mag gets a break at having ammo in it so the spring does not get compressed and I also only load the one mag with 8 in it instead of 10 to help the spring not to be fully compressed.
Please help me resolve this as I love my 40P and want do what is needed to make this gun feed like it has over the years I have owned this gun.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: First time ever my 40P has FTF.... HELP
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 11:38:45 AM »
Check for wear on the interior of your slide, it may not be picking up the round. If its worn too bad, it my just be pushing the round down.

If all that still has a nice sharp edge on it, then check your magazine. If its doing it from multiple magazines, then consult a gunsmith.

czfanatic

Re: First time ever my 40P has FTF.... HELP
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 04:48:54 PM »
Thanks for the reply I will check to see if the edges are still sharp let me explain some more as I did not do that initially. The FTF may not be exactly the right way to explain my problem as the gun is feeding the round but is failing to put the round into the barrel when this happens the slide is fully rearward and open, I can see the round it seems to be stuck on the feed ramp so all I do is pull on the slide a little and let go and the round feeds into the barrel. The gun will continue to fire as many as 2 more mags even 3 mags and then it happens again. One of the instuctors saw this and asked if he could load and fire my gun which he did and it fired perfectly. I tried to see if maybe it was one of the mags that was doing it and did fire one mag about 3 times with no stoppages and then being on a open air shooting range and had to keep reloading to keep up with the other shooters lost track of which one I had kept apart. I have a new spring and plastic guide rod that I purchased from CZ and I am waiting on a Stainless steel guide rod. Could this be the problem maybe a weak spring not strong enough to fully push in the round??? On cleaning the gun I noticed the nylon collar that slides over the guide rod and spring had some edges that were torn up so I trimmed them off, could this nylon collar be sticking causing the spring not to operate correctly.