Author Topic: CZ Model 244 Single Shot Bolt Rifle  (Read 7483 times)

Offline crackedspoke

CZ Model 244 Single Shot Bolt Rifle
« on: August 02, 2012, 09:28:30 PM »
My grandfather brought this little rifle back to the U.S. from Czech around 1944-1945 at the conclusion of WWII.  I grew up hunting with this rifle.  It's a great little shooter and the most accurate gun that I've had the opportunity to shoot.  My 8 year old has claimed it for his own and shoots it regularly.  My question... I can't find much info on this rifle on the internet or anywhere else.  What exactly do I have here?  Age?  I'm guessing mid-1920's maybe?  Any help and info will be greatly appreciated.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: CZ Model 244 Single Shot Bolt Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 05:25:43 PM »
          Hi and welcome to our forum from FL. I thought it was possibly a VZ 24 or a Brno 24 even a CZ VZ 24 but I am not finding anything in 224, All that comes up is/are Mauser's which aren't 224 and the furnature looks totally different than yours. Would you please retake the pictures you posted and some others so we can maybe have a better idea what we are looking at/for? Take the cleanest close up pictures or every engraved, stamped, mark on the rifle top bottom and sides. Especially the serial number (I think you can cover up the last 4 digits, unless they are letters. (We'll need those). Also the picture just in front of the Chamber? on top.

It looks to me like the CZ mark and possibly 24 but it's not clear and it sort of looks like there maybe another number after the 4 possibly? An the name engraved across the top is it? a better one than that might help and if there is more to it then try for as clear a pic as you can of the entire name. We do love a mystry so looking forward to what else you can send. And again, Welcome to our Forum, if we can't figure out the answer we may be able to point you towards where you can find it.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline crackedspoke

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 06:35:27 PM »

Only markings are "KAL 22 . LONG . RIFLE" below rear sight on barrel; "CESKA ZBROJOVKA A S V PRAZE" on left rear bolt receiver; early Z inside C inside circle logo AND numbers 244 in top front of receiver.  These are the only markings anywhere on the rifle.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 01:21:00 PM »
           Great, thanks for taking and sendong the additional pics. I don't know how much it will help but when it comes to a search you can never have to much info. Hopefully someone else may know something about this rifle. I am really Not a Long Gun guy, but I like a challenge so I'll see what if anything I can find out.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline crackedspoke

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 06:32:43 PM »
I think that I have my answer.  I found this quote "from the Blue Book" on another firearm forum.  It states.... " Ceská Zbrojovka, located in the town of Uhersky Brod, was founded in 1936, as a subsidiary of Ceská Zbrojovka Strakonice, in a government decision designed to move firearms production further away from the German border, and out of the reach of German bombers. Uhersky Brod is located approx. 60 miles east of Brno. Before WWII, the factory produced aircraft machine guns (LK-30), the military pistol (CZ-38 in 9mm Para.), and rifle Models Z242-Z247.  During WWII, the factory was taken over by the Germans, and the facilities were used for the production of aircraft machine guns (German designed MG 17s) and related components for other models of military weapons."  Germany occupied Czech early in 1939.  So, I'd guess that this rifle was produced likely in the 1936-1938 date range.  That is close enough for me.  So, I now know what it is and when it was produced.

Thanks, GhostWarrior for replying to my post!  Below is a link to my son, Dawson, whose 8 years old shooting the rifle.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 10:40:05 PM »
                That is outstanding! And you have obviously take to time to train him properly. Congratulations to both of you. Great long gun, and it's particularly great it has now passed down to another generation.