Author Topic: Cleaning Nickel-Plated CZ Models  (Read 5393 times)

Lutefisk

Cleaning Nickel-Plated CZ Models
« on: July 16, 2012, 11:23:35 PM »
Hi, I suspect this question has been asked and answered, but I couldn't find anything via search.  I recently purchased a duo-tone CZ-85 Combat. My typical regimen for my stainless and blued handgus has been Hoppes #9 for the bore and metal surfaces followed by light oiling to protect.   I understand Hoppes #9 and nickel plating don't mix very well.  Can anyone recommend a product for cleaning the frame and slide?  I should add that I switched out the plastic grips for the CZ rubber grips.  I think Break-Free CLP is probably OK, but I'd like to hear from other owners with nickel-plated CZs.
Thanks!

Lutefisk

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Cleaning Nickel-Plated CZ Models
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 04:52:45 AM »
Hoppes # 9 is fine for cleaning nickle guns.  What you want to avoid are solvents that remove copper.  It will say on the bottle "Removes Copper Fouling".   Many nickle plated guns have a plating of copper over the steel before the nickle plating is done.  I don't think CZ does this, but keep the copper cleaner away just in case.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
Like Rudolfo said, Hoppes #9 will work but I would wipe the nickel surface down with something else after cleaning. Even one of the silicone gun cloths would be good. Because, if left on long enough Hoppes #9 will also remove copper fouling or at least turn it green. So if some of it migrated between the grip and gun surface you could have a problem if left there for a while. I would remove the slide and spray it down with Gun Scrubber after using Hoppes, scrub the burnt on powder with a toothbrush, spray it again with Gun Scrubber, let it dry completely (I use compressed air to speed up the process) and then wipe it down with a silicone cloth. This is easy, quick and I've had good results for years. The only thing with using Gun Scrubber is that it gets cold and can cause the gun to condense moisture afterward. Just make sure it's dry before putting it back in a gun case.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Lutefisk

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 04:59:55 PM »
Thank you both for your responses.  As you both say, I probably could get by with #9, but if there are any micro fissures in the nickel plating I'm asking for trouble.   I will give Gun Scrubber a shot.  I may like it enough to use it on everything.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 10:03:41 AM »
Hoppes also has a product "Hoppes #9 Semi-Auto" in a blue bottle. You might check into that one.

Oh, and while you're at it, why not get the "Hoppes #9 Air Freshener" that can keep any room or your truck smelling like Hoppes #9. No kidding!
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Lutefisk

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:20:27 AM »
Now you're just trying to get me in trouble with the boss ! :laugh: