Author Topic: Kadet kit fails to fire  (Read 4314 times)

butcher

Kadet kit fails to fire
« on: March 13, 2012, 10:02:44 PM »
hey guys, long time no see. i used to mod on czshooters.com back in the day. now i'm looking for help with my Kadet kit

my Kadet rests in a 75B-SA .40s&w frame that was fine tuned by Matt Mink. The Kadet itsself has been modded by one of my favorite local gunsmiths to support a Gemtech Outback-II suppressor. I've had it for approximately 5-6 years and have fired thousands of rounds from it using all sorts of qualities of ammunition. it's been pretty reliable, even with cheapo stuff, until recently...

my Kadet recently started failing to fire. i'll shoot the first round from the magazine, then I find I have to re-cock the hammer and strike multiple times before the next rounds finally go off, sometimes not at all. I've removed the firing pin and spring and both appear normal to the naked eye. i was thinking maybe the spring has weakened from usage? initially i thought it was the firing pin channel clogged with years of gunk, but i cleared it out thoroughly and i'm still having problems with the gun firing reliably.

i didn't think it was the hammer spring because the 75 B-SA was originally meant to set off a 40cal round. figured it had more than enough strength to do the 22lr.

any advise would be great! want to get my gun back out on the range asap. it always draws attention when people hear (or dont hear!) my suppressor whisking rounds downrange.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Kadet kit fails to fire
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:40:48 PM »
           Welcome to our forum. We are happy to have you. I really don't know a whole heck of a lot about gunsmithing, but maybe I can put forth an idea or two that might help, Can't hurt to try I don't think.

First question is have you put your weapon back into it's original .40 cal condition and tried firing it? Just because the hammer spring was made to strike a .40 doesn't mean it doesn't wear out from firing .22's. A spring is is going to weaken over time no matter how it's being used. They are just metal and metal can get tired just like folks, it just takes a lot longer. Anyway if it still works without any FTF in the .40 configuration then the hammer isn't the problem.

Second question would be see the first question. I wouldn't see how the firing pin spring would be the issue since it's works in conjunction with the hammer hitting it then it hitting the primer. So if it works on the .40 then it may not be the springs at all. Possibly replacing them anyway wouldn't be a bad idea since you have put so may rounds through it. I would also (Actually figure you did this bit allready) take the grips off and make sure the modified .22 mags are still seating properly and also maybe the mag springs need to be changed they get just as worn out as any other spring. And while the grips are off I would also check and especially clean all the modified areas both on the weapon itself and the mags. Since they were modified there may be a place where something got in and is interfering with the function, that may possibly won't have gotten in without the mods?

As I said I am by no means a gunsmith of any kind, but we have some very goods ones here as members and possibly they can be of more intelligent help to you than myself. I look forward to hearing/reading how things work out if you would post them and keep us up to date?
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

butcher

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
i never thought about the hammer spring like that before :D makes sense though, because the energy is stored by cocking the hammer and released when the hammer falls, and has nothing to do with what surface is struck!

i'll try replacing all springs. the gun has been painstakingly cleaned otherwise. i'll report back when i finish replacing springs and test fire. i can't go back to 40cal because i sold that upper half to a buddy of mine.

also i need to figure out what strength of main/hammer spring that Matt Mink put in there when he tuned my gun. i have a 2-pound trigger pull. i'm assuming the hammer spring was swapped  :laugh:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 06:47:56 PM by butcher »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 07:43:22 PM »
      oh man that is one really shiny pistol set up. I have a can coming for my 9's and a ruger Mk III Amphibian for suppressed .22 shooting. My CZ Kadet pistol is going to stay as is. But I do for sure like your setup. Good luck and please keep us informed on how things are working out.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

butcher

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 07:47:33 PM »
thanks! i think i used too much flash. the pistol is the original matte black finish  :grin:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 08:35:49 AM »
       I guess I really should stop using the term "Shiny" to mean good, sweet, nice, etc. since so few folks are into SciFi and even fewer ever saw the show FireFly.  :cool:  that is a nice set up you have. have fun

Offline GM4469

• Authorized Vendor
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:40:18 PM »
with centerfire pistol primers..it is pretty easy to tune the the gun with a lighter hammer spring that will set off any primer. however it can still be too light to reliably set off rimfire ammo.

I would take a look at a 17# hammer spring. have found that weight perfect for all rimfire ammo.
czcustom.com
stuart@czcustom.com