Author Topic: IDPA/Competitive Shootings  (Read 11178 times)

mauricepelletier

IDPA/Competitive Shootings
« on: March 05, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Being a new member, I've been reading a lot of your old or retired postings.  Since this topic ended over 90 days ago with no further comments, I thought a new topic would be appropriate.  With the exception of the one main competitor, it seems some of you are either too shy or afraid to attend these shoots.  I can  assure you that once you started, met the folks at the range and broke the ice with your competitors, you would have a blast.  No one is there to criticize or make fun--we've all been there and what's more important is that your performance, proficiency and accuracy gets better every time. I ordered my CZ75 Shadow T two weeks ago ang can't wait to attend any competition.  I'm by far an expert shooter but I sure do have a lot of fun  trying.  Happy to be part of this team and hope to be of some assistance when needed.  Be safe and shoot straight

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: IDPA/Competitive Shootings
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 01:58:29 PM »
          I plan on competing now that I found out that IDPA has a catagory for broken down old geezers.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

quattrophiliac

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:51:19 PM »
IDPA is the best way to get proficient with your CZ in real life situations.. It is more fun than should be legal...,, and don't forget we have a lot of unfair advantage shooting CZ pistols...  I started shooting IDPA a year and half ago and can't wait for the next third Sunday of the month shoot at TRPC. If you ever want to come to the east side let me know... There are alot of good natured people that are very helpful and gracious to first timers,,

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 09:15:26 PM »
Right now, I'm no where near good enough for IDPA. Also I don't even have a holster....I currently get together with GhostWarrior and shoot at ORPC. Titusville is pretty far for me...What I would like to do is shoot steel targets. I watch it on tv and love the sound....

My other problem is a wife who doesn't like guns.. :sad: . It took 10 years to convince her to let me buy my CZ and now she complains because of the cost of ammo and the cost of shooting.....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

CZ04FT

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 10:14:42 AM »
See about the cost of joining a Rod & Gun Club or a years membership at a firing range. Ask for it as a gift for your birthday, Father's Day, anniversary, whatever works. My local indoor range charges $190 a year for membership. After the first month, you can rent any of their guns for free. You must use their ammo. And pay for any of their paper targets.Try to buy ammo in bulk, or watch for specials at Walmart and sporting outlets. Anything to keep the cost down.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 10:29:12 AM »
I checked around for that and the best I found was $275 a year. I buy my ammo from Walmart. I now buy the 100 rd box of Federal for $19.97. She still thinks thats too expensive (range). I am working on her tho.....
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

quattrophiliac

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 08:03:46 PM »
Steel match is on the second Sunday of the month including this Easter Sunday is appears.. The cool thing is you can shoot 22 rim fire that makes it cheap..  Five rounds of five stages will seriously eat amo if you are shooting 9mm...  As far as not being good enough to shoot IDPA,,,,..  Who cares.... Just go and have fun... you'll be hooked and next thing you know you will be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch just so you can afford amo... LOL  !!!!

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 08:54:45 PM »
Steel match is on the second Sunday of the month including this Easter Sunday is appears.. The cool thing is you can shoot 22 rim fire that makes it cheap..  Five rounds of five stages will seriously eat amo if you are shooting 9mm...  As far as not being good enough to shoot IDPA,,,,..  Who cares.... Just go and have fun... you'll be hooked and next thing you know you will be eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch just so you can afford amo... LOL  !!!!

Unfortunately, I don't have a .22, but I am afraid if I try it I will get hooked and trying to explain that to the wife...well......... :grin:
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

quattrophiliac

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 07:17:04 PM »
Tell ya what.. I will be at trpc next Sunday... I will donate a box of 9mm and let you borrow my iwb holster that I have used with my 75b sao... Put your magazines in your back pocket and just have fun... I'd just like to see another CZ pistol out there....

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 08:04:29 PM »
How much ammo would I need for that? Are you talking about this coming sunday? What does it cost?
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 08:09:56 PM by chfields »
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

quattrophiliac

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 06:28:55 AM »
Most clubs are $15 for non members.. I usually shoot 140-160 rounds.   I'll donate the first 100... The third Sunday of every month...  You can go to Titusvillegun.com the Saturday before and see how the stages are setup.  It's almost always two rounds for each cardboard target and one round for any steel..

Offline Valerko

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2013, 10:59:02 PM »
Just an FYI
75 wil fit decently into 1911 holster.
I just used my 1911 holster for my SP01 Shadow Target.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2013, 11:24:10 PM »
Valerko, welcome to our forum!! That is some great info. I did manage to get a couple of holsters from GhostWarrior and now have the .22lr conversion (Kadet Kit), so I may take up quattrophiliac's offer and go to TRPC and try the steel shooting. Hopefully they are still doing that. Feel free to ask or answer any questions you can, as everyone here os very friendly and willing to help.
Again, welcome to our forum!!!
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline Valerko

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »
Thanks.
I've been member for a while , but was mostly reading stuff.
For all interested in Shadow Target

[/size]
[/size]Shot my first informal tach at local club. Pretty much first time I did his type of shooing.
[/size]Don't have the results , but based on my time ,looked lie I did pretty good.
[/size]Deffinatly hooked , going back next week for more :wink:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2013, 05:57:30 PM »
There's a zombie match coming up at the local IDPA club, and I really want to go, but I'll have to miss a whole day of work for it. ...............better ask the wife. LOL!