Author Topic: Getting a 527 in .223  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Djlxr400

Getting a 527 in .223
« on: February 21, 2016, 11:47:35 PM »
Hi all, new to this forum. I'm waiting for the rifle to arrive and thinking about stuff I will add to it or go with it. Number one, at least 3 more magazines wow they are pricy. Who has the best price? Two, suggestions on a good sling. Three, a scope, but I don't think being a light gun that anything more than x6 would be practical. I will be mostly target shooting with my sons, they are into their ARs right now so that's why I opted for the.223. So I'm excited about this new gun, so thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Offline trigger643

Re: Getting a 527 in .223
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 02:36:52 PM »
I found my 527 .223 Varmint last year in a gun store in rural Louisiana heavily discounted.   It was new, but from the literature in the box and date code, they'd had it at least 5 years or even longer.  What sold me was the single set trigger and it was my first CZ long gun.  When I got it home and ran a patch down the barrel I discovered it's a 1:9 twist, something I was told on another forum doesn't exist in the varmint.   Lucky me.

As for extra magazines, why bother?   They only hold five.  I picked up a spare just in case of a failure at the range, but I really don't anticipate one, but an extra mag is comforting to have in the range bag just in case.   I know of nowhere these mags are cheap.  Slings are a matter of preference.  Get what you like.   I'm partial to Montana slings for my sporting rifles, M1907 slings for my precision and match rifles and the USGI M16 2 point slings for my ARs.  If/when I put a sling on the 527 it will most likely be a Montana Sling.  You can google them.   I always recommend buying the most scope you can afford, but I don't always follow my own advise.  For this rifle I had a Vortex left over from another project and since I shoot mostly 100 and 200 yards, the 6x24 comes in handy.  If I were going to go out and buy one for this rifle it mostly likely would have been a 3x9 Leupold or Burris -- frankly, either of those brands have better glass than the Vortex. 

Bolt clearance for the scope was an issue, and it's mounted a little higher from the bore axis than I normally like.  I understand CZ has a lower radius bolt handle available, but I'm not dissatisfied with the Nightforce rings I used (also left over from another project).

Enjoy your new 527.  Mine's become one of my favorite small caliber bolt guns.

Offline Djlxr400

Re: Getting a 527 in .223
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 03:48:08 PM »
Thanks for the reply, yours looks great. I was going back and forth between the varmint and the carbine, opted for the carbine. I'm going with a 2x7 Leupold because i think a smaller lighter scope will fit this gun better. I will check out the Montana sling.
Thanks again