Author Topic: Custom Gun Graphics  (Read 13243 times)

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Custom Gun Graphics
« on: August 07, 2011, 08:40:10 AM »
I've seen all kinds of things with dipped graphics before, bikes, and some larger guns, but my mouth actually fell open when I saw this.

This is from the CZ-USA Facebook page. They just say "Custom dipped graphics" and don't give any information. If anyone knows exactly who did this one, then pleaselet us know. I was thinking about maybe doing mine similarly.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Custom Gun Graphics
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 11:56:38 AM »
          How the heck do you "dip" graphics? I know you can put paint in water or oil, ( I forget which ) and then dip the what ever into the container. and then pull it out slowly you get the paint to stick but it's ramdome colors, not unlike Tie Died Clothing. I have never seen that done before, and it's way beyond wild. WOW
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:47:16 PM »
That's completely sweet! I want one done in Celtic Crosses or, better yet, some historical mural. De La Croix's Liberty Leading Her People springs to mind!

Have you contacted the CZ-USA FB page AVM?

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 05:11:16 PM »
Oh, No, I probably should though. LOL!

@GW Its a big decal basically, and they put it in a chemical solution then dip the gun in and smooth the decal on the gun. Pretty freaking cool.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2011, 10:57:35 AM »
         Ya I just looked into it myself just the other day, Way shiny idea, seems to have a lot of work go into doing it, if I understood the gentlemans answer correctly when I mentioned what I was trying for, On the up side if you can design it and they make a stencil then the skies the limit. I did ask if they could do one that was all red but with a set of eyes on the slide just behind the muzzle but they said no one had that kind of control over how the decals actually went on. I was also thinking of having a copy of the paint job done on the noses of some of the older fighters that had a mouth open, either a shark or something else, but if they can't do the eyes so they come out on either side of the slide then I guess the Mustang reproduction graphics are even less likely. Bummer

I wonder is someone could strip a pistol down to bare metal, spray paint it with something hard but thinnish, then have someone AirBrush a design on, and then have the whole thing sprayed a couple times and polished with something that would stand up to being carried everyday, and sliding in and out of holsters? Not to metion water repellent, Polyurethane looks nasty when it gets wets and then doesn't dry out clear as it was originally.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Shearermadness

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
If you could get a clear Poly-cote I could see how that would work. or even just a  thin cote of self etching primer in black or what ever color you would want and have an artist- i would talk to a tattoo guy or pin-stripe guy - and have him do something cool and do a standard clear coat with a hardener. Its what I used on some of my bare metal projects to protect the finish in the navy and it worked great even with constant wear. It took three thin coats to do it just right and not have major paint buildup.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2011, 12:51:07 PM »
             Oh I like that idea! I have a pistol I can use for that as it happens. I'll look into it and see how it goes. Now where that list I had for things I have or want to do?.....................................Nope thats my Santa list, and the other is my bucket list..............Then again finding some money might help.  :laugh:
             All the yuck yuck aside I really, really do like your idea. And if I can find the time and the money I will dang sure give it a try. If I can find the folks that know what you just said (and I did a cut and past and printed the instructions/idea out) and it works, you can count on me to give you the props for the idea. and maybe you just started yourself a nice little custom niche business. We'll see.
            It's worth trying if nothing else, I have seen some of the things you guys do to your only way home short of a rescue chopper, and if your idea works there then I can't image it not working in a less abusive envirment.  :angel:

Shearermadness

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 08:11:14 PM »
Well I have done it! I painted the sharks mouth and eyes, like the old p-40 warhawks, on the front end of my 75B. It was by far one the hardest things I have ever tried to do. I have been told that I'm a fairly decent artist, and Id like to think so but drawing on something like the muzzle end of the slide of such a weapon and then painting said image is very very hard to do. I have about 6 hrs and a lot of cursing into it now with 3 coats it looks true to its origin or at least I think so. I'll be able to post pics here shortly thought I would let you know.

b5.5dan

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
I can not wait to see it!

Shearermadness

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »

TADA!!

Cokeman

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2012, 01:51:23 PM »
Sweet!

drummerboy

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2012, 02:04:06 PM »
Very Cool!!

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »
              Great Googly Moogly! I don't knew wether to hate you 2 or give you a life time free membership! Oh ya membership is already free, damn. And hating anyone that can do that is a pure nough waste o time. That is amazing work by both of you, and the links are realy shiny! I can't even draw a straight line using a ruler  :cry:  and you guys do stuff like that. It ain't fair I tell ya, ain't fair atall! No sir.

Anyway well done gentlemen, well done indeed. Wish either one or both of you lived in Central Florida, I would drive 2 or 3 hours one way if I could get workmanship like that. Is there any sort of AirBrush Society/Guild with a list of artist by State?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 10:51:53 AM by GhostWarrior »

iconoclast

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2012, 03:01:06 AM »
Interesting....

TADA!!