Author Topic: Pre-"BAN"? CZ-75  (Read 8845 times)

Hermannr

Pre-"BAN"? CZ-75
« on: June 01, 2011, 04:10:13 PM »
Please excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard of a "Ban" on the CZ-75.  Could someone please enlighten me?  I would really like a CZ-75 to go with my CZ-52, but I have never heard of a "Ban"????? :huh:

Offline ACZONE

Re: Pre-"BAN"? CZ-75
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:22:45 PM »
I am not an expert but I believe it is a PRE B, the B referring to the Firing Pin Block addition in the new versions

Hermannr

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
Thank you

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 04:06:21 PM »

Well actually The CZ 75 was imported into the US for a very short time day in the early-mid 80's. The US Ban their import into the US and for a while you couldn't buy a CZ anywhere in the US unless it was brought in by a returning US Citizen (US Military mostly) and then put up for sale for whatever reason. (BTW point of fact any firearm brought into the US by private Citizens will not have an Import mark anywhere on them since they did not come in as a commercial product, which is what folks mean when they say no import marks) Anyway back to the topic at hand.
      During the time the CZ was in the Banned import list, the CZ Factory did some modifications to the original, There are actually 3 Interim CZ75's designs changes during that time the final version being designated as the CZ75 B for next Generation. So when they were allowed back into to US for commercial sale the only CZ's were CZ75 B's for the simply reason they one longer made the original model. Therefore there is what is referred to as a CZ75 Pre Ban or CZ 75B (take your pick here, not everyone agrees about how to say the difference between the two models).
      One of the differences or modifications between the two is that the 75 has no safety pin bar (there is some discussion that CZ was asked to add that modification to the pistol by the US for "Safety Reasons"). Either way one has the roll pin safety and the older models do not. Which is why when you see a pistol listed as a Pre-B or Ban it is generally up for sale at a higher price than the B models depending on condition of course.
       A New In Box (NIB) CZ 75 with all its original paper work and original box sells for between Eight Hundred to a Thousand dollars. I had 2 NIB 75's but I offered one the NRA's Museum for their collection and they not only accepted but they added it to their permanent collection which they rarely if ever sell any part of. The thank you from the NRA Museum is on the CZ-USA web site in their press release section or was I really haven't looked lately.
       The fast way to tell a Pre B from the B model is that the Pre-B has a round trigger guard and the B model has a squarish trigger guard. Also to tell the difference between Pre-B and their reincarnations is by the box they came/come in. All cardboard box with Orange, Red and Black design, I believe the interim CZ's cam in a Styrofoam box with a cardboard sleeve with Green and White Markings. As far as I know all the interim models shipped in the Styrofoam whether it still had the round trigger guard or the later square one. Then All CZ 75 B's I think only shipped in those plastic cases we all see these days. Don't quote me on that last bit since a few? some? of the B models finale version may have been packed in the Styrofoam container.
      Thank you both for the question and your input, Herr? Hermannr, and Mr? ACZONE.
     I would like to take a moment more of your time and welcome you both to the form. I have no doubt that you both will enjoy your time spent with us. We strive to help each other, teach the world (well mostly the US) about CZ's and at the same time learn new things. Welcom Welcome and thank you both again.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Hermannr

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 09:59:48 PM »
I became a US Citizen in 1970 after spending 1968 and 1969 in SE Asia compliments of the US Army.  Family Origin is Northern Germany through Canada.  I was born in Canada.  My sister is in Canada, my cousins are in Germany and Canada.  We are presently retired to the Okanogan Highlands in North Central WA. (11 miles south of the Canadian border)

I currently have a CZ-52 (1953) 7.62X25mm and really like it (no, I don't have the 9mm coversion for it).  So I was considering trying to find a CZ-75 Compact, and maybe a Kadet kit so I could shoot more.  A Kadet kit will fit the Compact? no??? 

Currently we mostly shoot my wifes High Standard Trophy (.22lr) and Olympic (.22 short) and only occationally shoot the CZ-52, the 1926 Colt Officers Model .38, or some of the other antiques we have...yes I like older guns.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:50:37 PM »
      We are going to get along fine :grin: . I have a BRNO V24 .338 Win Mag, a couple CZ 52's and a couple of CZ 82's and a bunch of other CZ's. The 52 is a hoot to shoot, and I have actually used it and the 82 as carry weapons from time to time. More often the 82 as a backup weapon. I don't use the 52 as a carry weapon very often since I have some concerns about penetration and possibly hurting an innocent. Especially when I am using Russian FMJ 7.62 X .25 rounds. But they sure get folks talking when you take them out to the range and start shooting them. oh and why would anyone want to take a beautiful piece of workmanship and turn it into a 9mm? Dang waste if you ask me. :cool:
     Wow and I thought my ancestors traveled around before settling down! I think you may actually be somewhere in the vicinity of my older brother, he lives in Battle Creek.

No sorry, the Kadet is not intended to fit on a compact. The Kadet slide is full length intended for the full size style CZ's and not even all of  them actually. Sorry really. What I will do out of curiosity now that you brought the topic up is see for myself if it will fit let alone work. I have both a Kadet Kit and a Compact around here somewhere and I'll look into your question later today or tomorrow. Then again if you get bored waiting for me you can call either CZ-USA or CZCustom. Those are really fine folks and can tell you the quick and final answer to your question. Possibly even the WWW.CZ-USA.com website will have the information.

Oh I almost forgot please excuse my manners. Congratulations on becoming a US Citizen and also I personally would like to thank you for Serving in the Army. You and your family are a credit to the intended purpose and espoused intent of the American Constitution, And Basically what this Country stands for. Well done Sir and I hope you enjoy your retirement and this forum for a long long time
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 02:01:23 PM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Hermannr

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 11:06:43 PM »
I carry my CZ-52 sometimes too, just for fun.  I OC a lot, mostly because I really do not have any small weapons.  Open carry is not a problem up here where I live, and if it gets covered that is OK too, I have a CPL

I have the same over penitration concerns about the Soviet surplus ammo I have.  I was looking around and found some US manufactured SD (hollow points) 7.62X25mm that sounded good. (1700fps/500ft lbs)  Haven't purchased any because I'm not sure how well they will feed in the 52, but I would think a hollow point would be less likely to exit the target and do as much damage beyond as a FMJ?

My second problem with the 52 is the sound level.  My hearing is toast already, it doesn't need any more help getting worse.  It would take a lot before I would consider actually firing the 52 in a SD situation though I am sure I wouldn't be thinking of my hearing if that kind of a situation ever came up.  Our biggest problems here are 4 legged not 2 legged.  (Think Black Bear)

Just got back in from shooting (and then cleaning) the 52 as well as the Trophy.  (We just shoot here in the back yard).   The mountain was filled with the sound of gunfire this weekend.  There were a lot of people out doing the same thing today.  Beautiful day, and the first one this year over 70.

Battle Creek?  Washington State?  I know where Battle Ground is, about 350 miles SW of here, I know where Battle Point is, but do not know where Battle Creek is??

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 09:43:06 AM »
      opps, ya I meant Battle Ground not Creek, I keep getting them confused because my brother lived in Battle Creek somewhere when he was teaching at the Great Lakes Naval Base. Or something. I just seem to be stuck on battle creek instead of Ground, go figure. And ya I guess you aren't that close, lol.
     I'll look around for those US Hollow Points you mentioned and give them a try. As for the sound level, I sure as hope it isn't the only weapon I have inside a building. Other wise it would just be easier to pith in a Flash Bang and forget to cover my ears. I still wouldn't be able to hear anything after things were over but at least the noise level would have hurt all at once instead of everytime I fired it. lol

Hermannr

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:22:53 PM »
Here is the link to the fancy 7.62X25mm Ammo.  This guy actually has a whole bunch of options.

http://shop.reedsammo.com/product.sc;jsessionid=FD2A15F8550C3F7AE64749A8FF9B3A06.qscstrfrnt05?productId=1360&categoryId=14

I goofed up, I had a big response and then lost it.  Oh well.

Basically, I went to my Terrain Navigator Pro map program and did a couple tests...air miles, my house to the center of Battle Ground is 258 miles at 214°.  You could also go up the Columbia River to the Okanogan River, then up the Okanogan River, total about 400 miles.  Leave the Okanogan at Ellisforde and travel overland 4.8 miles at about 61° climbing a bit over 2000' from the river.  That could get you here too. The 350 miles is road miles.

Oh yes, I forgot, the local gun club (Tonasket) has 100M silhouette pistol shoots third Saturday all summer.  You can join in the fun for the princely sum of $5. :grin:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 01:26:40 PM by Hermannr »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2011, 11:30:08 PM »
 $5? wow nice folks at that range to do that. And yep you really aren't that close lol.    
  I just checked out that site you added for the ammo and I am going to order some first thing tomorrow. I just have to decide what I can afford because they have Rounds for my BRNO V24 .338 Winn Mag also. so I'm going to have to figured how many boxes or what I can afford and double check the maximum load the old girl can handle. I'm using Fusion 225 gr at the moment so I just want to double check using 250 gr. Ingrid is somewhere around my age and I don't want to stress her. Doesn't really seem like another 25grs would matter but it can and the results would not be pretty. Luckily they sell much lower gr rounds for her also so another reason to think about what to buy. Thanks a lot for posting that link I can't wait to try their ammunition for both the V24 and the TT33 and my 52.      
     BTW I have learned the hard way that it's extremely easy to lose a mgs and it's really frustrating to lose a long one. So I have started writing everything in word or sometimes on a blank e-mail and running it through the built in spell check before a copy and paste. Then if the mgs gets lost after I hit the send button I can always just paste it again and resend. This forum has a spell check but it leaves something to be desired and even the spell check on Word or Out Look aren't perfect but they are better. :grin:  and once I know it's sent and got to where it was supposed to then I delete the copy I typed in Word of Outlook.

As it happens I had that happen with this msg just now, I hit send (I think/thought?) and it went somewhere but not anywhere around here. So I reopened reply pasted this in and I'm trying again.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 10:03:03 PM by GhostWarrior »

Hermannr

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:31:27 PM »
I'll be awaiting your report, thanks.  I just blew the last of my Soviet stuff test my new barrel so  I am in the market for some clean ammo.