Author Topic: Trigger break in  (Read 7193 times)

wscrst

Trigger break in
« on: April 13, 2011, 08:17:44 PM »
The trigger on my SP-01 tactical seems awfully loose.  I have read that CZs need 500 rounds to break in the trigger.  Great info, but what can I expect to improve after 500 rounds?  At this point I am just destroying cans with my gun, but I would appreciate insight into this topic.  Thanks.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
Re: Trigger break in
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011, 01:23:41 AM »
You really don't have to even shoot 500 rounds, just 500 trigger pulls. I smoothes the metal faces on the contact points which makes a smoother trigger pull. It wears the poly coat off and smoothes the metal, for less friction and a more consistant pull.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011, 11:09:21 AM »
    Well actually hopefully you are destroying cans with the rounds you are shooting and not actually using the gun it's self to do it. Seems like a really expensive hammer.  :laugh: Dang I am funny!

Just remember to use snap caps if you are going to dry fire your weapon. Certainly cheaper than 500 rounds of ammo. To be honest I wish they would let me set up soda cans to shoot at my range. When you hit one you know it, and it gives you a smaller target to hit. And if you can hit something that size every shot especially in triple taps or rapid fire then heck it's time you went to a couple of shooting competitions, cause you would do very well I think.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

wscrst

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
Thanks.  Allow me to clarify...I shoot at the cans, but I don't always or even often hit them.  No competitions for me!  It is fun, though.  All plastic and metal goes from my house to my plinking bin and then gets shot at my little home range before making it to the recycling bin.  Economical and environmentally friendly targets.  Sweet.

Regarding snap caps, my gun came with a plastic bullet that has some green inserts.  I guess this is a snap cap?  How many dry fires before I should replace the green insert.  Seems like the thing wouldn't be too useful after a few hits since it gets dented.  Also, is there any difference between snap cap brands?  What are your recommendations?  I told you I was a newbie.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2011, 09:51:59 AM »
     Every last person here, Male or Female, Young or Old is was a Newbie at some time. So no worries there.

As for the Snap Caps. Frankly I have no idea how long that little green insert is going to last. (Oh ya, that plastic bullet is a snap cap). I bought some and they come 5 to the pack? Different Calibars different amounts? I'm guessing here. There are at least 2 different Mfg that make them and I think one of the packs actually came with replacement inserts. Don't remember how much I paid, but I did buy one pack from Bass Pro Shop and that I seriously doubt was the cheapest price they go for anywhere else.  :cool:

Well don't sweat hitting the cans frankly I doubt I could hit them myself, Certainly not consistently, Been to long since I shot a weapon and apparently it was a really bad idea to stop. Recycling is a good thing and I have no doubt you will start hitting them more and more as you get used to your new pistol and how it performs. And even if you miss way more than you hit now, It's still got to be a rush when you see that puppy go flying.  :grin:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

RCG

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 07:04:49 PM »
The trigger on my SP-01 tactical seems awfully loose.  I have read that CZs need 500 rounds to break in the trigger.  Great info, but what can I expect to improve after 500 rounds?  At this point I am just destroying cans with my gun, but I would appreciate insight into this topic.  Thanks.
Loose?  How so?  Mine seems fine!  Something tells me that as time goes on, a "looseness" wouldn't go away.  Things seem to get more loose as they age, right?
What exactly do you mean by "loose"?

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 03:31:16 PM »
     Oh I am NOT going to touch that with a ten foot pole! Not even a 6 foot Swiss Guard. Good thing my wife doesn't read this or that "Things seem to get more loose as they age, right" remark would, would,..............well she would be.......................oh gee whats the word I'm looking for? Ah well I'll think about it and get back later but in the mean time maybe you should check to make sure your Passport is up to date, and transfer your funds to Liechtenstein just to be on the safe side.  :tongue:

wscrst

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 04:10:06 PM »
RCG, thank you for asking me to define loose.  Seriously, I would like to know if my gun is normal or not.  I just went out and shot and then came in and did a measurement.  The trigger is stable side to side.  However, in single action, I can pull the trigger back gently 8mm before it meets any resistance.  The next mm drops the hammer.  I made the same measurement on my SW 3913.  In single action the trigger can go back 7mm.  So, maybe my "loose" trigger is just normal.  If there wasn't any play I guess it would be a machine gun.  Two questions:
1.  What is the official term for this "looseness" or "play" in a trigger that I am describing.
2.  Do some people have their guns altered to adjust this?  I am in no way suggesting that this is what I plan to do...just curious.  Thanks.  Very interesting for a new guy like myself. 

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 06:27:23 PM »
     Well OK so you apparently don't like my humor oh well

As for the term I think you are looking for the word "take-up" (OK words). It refers to the amount of take up or pull before the trigger "Breaks" and drops the hammer. I think I have heard the term "Creep" used also but I'm not sure where or how I heard that.

And yes take up is or can be adjustable and adjusting it for different weapons is not allways the same way. If you are a novice then talk to your gun dealer and or his gunsmith and have them do the adjustment.

This is a quote that Angus made on another forum about the issue that I think maybe will help you decide what to do:
"The problem with trigger jobs (great ones) on decocker guns is that the decocker guns only work on one hammer hook, so cutting the hooks back is possibly going to increase wear because there is only one hook." Angus Hobdgell

And this gun needs to go to a good gunsmith to have the trigger adjusted. Or better send it to Angus or CJ at CZCustom and have them do it.

Hope this helps and I am sure wscrst may have better information, or suggestions about resolving the issue.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 09:26:23 AM »
I got it, and I thought it was pretty funny.  :laugh:

As for fixing trigger take up, they do make those adjustable triggers, but IDK if they work in decocker models or not.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 12:18:32 PM »
     It's something I believe I have heard both ways ya and nay, I suppose I need to remember to research this more or ask Angus and his Wizards or also the really great folks at CZ-USA but for now I am going to stick to looking it up myself, I find I actually manage to learn and remember things better when I have to fight my way through worthless links on the net looking things up.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 12:55:05 PM by GhostWarrior »

RCG

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »
RCG, thank you for asking me to define loose.  Seriously, I would like to know if my gun is normal or not.  I just went out and shot and then came in and did a measurement.  The trigger is stable side to side.  However, in single action, I can pull the trigger back gently 8mm before it meets any resistance.  The next mm drops the hammer.  I made the same measurement on my SW 3913.  In single action the trigger can go back 7mm.  So, maybe my "loose" trigger is just normal.  If there wasn't any play I guess it would be a machine gun.  Two questions:
1.  What is the official term for this "looseness" or "play" in a trigger that I am describing.
2.  Do some people have their guns altered to adjust this?  I am in no way suggesting that this is what I plan to do...just curious.  Thanks.  Very interesting for a new guy like myself.

Hi there!
Sorry I'm late getting back.  I just checked mine...I got an SP-01 Tactical .40 a few weeks ago...my first gun.
I just measured this on mine.  In SA, my trigger goes back 8mm until I feel the resistance...then I have to pull back another 3-4mm (best guess) for the break.  This feels totally correct to me.  If I'm in SA mode, I want to put my finger on the trigger and press a tiny bit...without the risk of the gun going off.   I really wouldn't want less drawback.
It's funny how yours goes back 8mm, then only 1mm more for the break.  That actually might produce more accurate shooting than mine...I've got more resistance pull.   But I'm happy with mine!  -Robert

« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 10:46:20 AM by RCG »