Author Topic: OAL for sp01  (Read 6639 times)

Offline rfogg

OAL for sp01
« on: July 02, 2018, 05:58:38 AM »
I am just starting to get into reloading and over the weekend I was doing the push test to see what OAL I should have with my SP01. All the readings I got where 1.189 and 1.190 so I subtract .015 and that gives me 1.174. I know the max length is 1.169. I can seat the bullet to 1.169 but I have heard that cz has a short chamber. So what I am wondering is has anyone else come up with readings like this?

Offline J Mercurio

Re: OAL for sp01
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2018, 07:23:59 PM »
No.. Depending on the bullet, I load anywhere from 1.10 to 1.125...The easiest way to answer any question regarding OAL is to measure a factory round with the same weight bullet.

Offline noylj

Re: OAL for sp01
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »
NO, the easiest and surest way to establish the COL is by creating and adjusting one or two inert dummy rounds with the specific bullet before you start to reload. Use them to set the dies. Bullets of the same weight still vary tremendously in ogive curve/length. COL length is limited to the length where the bullet ogive contacts the rifling. RN can have a lot of nose sticking in the chamber before the ogive/rifling contact. Of course, first it MUST fit the magazine.

Per Ramshot:SPECIAL NOTE ON CARTRIDGE OVERALL LENGTH “COL
It is important to note that the SAAMI “COL” values are for the firearms and ammunition manufacturers industry and must be seen as a guideline only. The individual reloader is free to adjust this dimension to suit their particular firearm-component-weapon combination. This parameter is determined by various dimensions such as
 1) magazine length (space),
 2) freebore-lead dimensions of the barrel,
 3) ogive or profile of the projectile and
 4) position of cannelure or crimp groove.
Always begin loading at the minimum "Start Load".
Increase in 2% increments towards the Maximum Load.
Watch for signs of excessive pressure.Never exceed the Maximum Load.”
Your COL (OAL) is determined by your barrel and your gun and your magazine. What worked in a pressure barrel or in my gun may have little to do with what will work in your gun. Load a couple of dummy rounds (no powder and no primer) to the max. COL (OAL) and see if it fits your magazine, feeds in your gun, and chambers in your barrel. Seat the bullet slightly deeper until you achieve all three of these goals. This is the COL (OAL) for you in your gun with that make of bullet. You are the one in control. Enjoy it. You can make ammunition tailored to your gun and not have to load to the minimum COL (OAL) as do the factories.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:08:29 PM by noylj »