Author Topic: Suggestions for progressive press?  (Read 11009 times)

bnmorgan

Suggestions for progressive press?
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:47:34 PM »
I want to start reloading for my CZ (9mm, may also do .40 for wife).  Would like to spend reasonable money, but not buy junk either. Could someone suggest progressive presses that won't have a 5 year payback time, be reasonably easy to use, and as automatic as possible?

Thanks all.
Byron

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Suggestions for progressive press?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 09:00:08 AM »
The first progressive press I used was the Lee Pro 1000.   http://www.midwayusa.com/product/428284/lee-pro-1000-progressive-press-kit-9mm-luger     They have gone up in price $50 in the last 15 yrs.  I made a helluvalotta ammo on that press.  Eventually I wanted a five hole press and moved on.  I definitely had a good payback from that little Lee press.

bnmorgan

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:32:52 PM »
well, looks like it's popular and pretty easy to do according to youtube videos.  what's the advantage of the 5hole? they're like, $50-70 more, and if i'd be money ahead in the long run, i'm open to it, but only if it's worthwhile.

Also, how do our cz's handle cast loads?

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:03:09 AM »
A three station press does two functions at two of the stations.  The case is flared on the same station that drops the powder.  The crimp is done on the same station as bullet seating.  It is easier to adjust the crimp at a separate station, although it requires another die. 
I have only loaded lead bullets in 9mm once.  The lead that I used was too soft and the gun was a mess to clean.  You need very hard cast lead for high pressure cases like 9mm.  I switched to FMJ
http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail.php?sku=B-9-124-FMJ

Offline noylj

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 03:32:17 AM »
Forgetting about speed, back in the late '70s when I decided I wanted a progressive press, I realized it had to have a minimum of 5 stations for utility. Here were the set-ups I used:
1) resize. Prime on the down-stroke
2) expand
3) powder charge
4) seating
5) crimping
or, when powder-through powder measures came out:
1) resize
2) expand or use powder-through expander
3) powder check
4) seat
5) crimp Sometimes, the powder-through did not expand the case ID enough and I would run an expander die and the powder-through expander.
I found out that I had to be careful with the manual powder measure not to get in a hurry and forget to charge a case. I would catch it (the Hornady progressives have always been very ergonomic and the seating station is basically right under the loaders nose so there is no excuse not to look into the case when you go to place a bullet for seating), but that would be another case out of the cycle that I would have to remember to inset into station 2 just before the main loading was done.
Four stations is too restrictive and three stations is a joke. Even when using a single stage, I always separated seating from crimping after I messed up some cast lead reloads.
The only press I prefer over the Hornady L-N-L is the Dillon 1050. I didn't like the 550 or 650 without a case collator/case feeder and didn't see any need for one on the Hornady. The 1050 comes with a case feeder, but if one wanted, it would not be any trouble to cut down the case feed tube and load cases by hand as the station is right up front. On the 550 and 650, they are on the right side and I found them very awkward.
Thus, the LoadMaster would be the minimum progressive press I would look at, but I am not enough of a tinkerer to probably get one running. The RCBS seems over priced and I have not any issues with the Hornady being an aluminum casting.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 10:58:47 PM »
      OK here's a couple of questions. ( I lied 4 questions  :laugh: ) One of the reasons that the M16 when it was issued back in 66-67 for  field testing, they had so many FTF's and jams was because they used powder that was little balls. They fixed that issue buy using extruded powder (rod like instead of ball like) and now it's 40 years later and as I am, after 30 years, going back into reloading, I see both powders sold for different purposes. The only powder I have ever used in the far past was Hurco Smokeless Shotgun Powder, for loading .38, .357's and 9mm

1) What would be the best type of powder to use, ball or rod? For 9's, Mak's, .380, 40's and 45's and also for 308 for both the 550 UCS and the Saiga?

2) any reason why 308 NATO (hotter round then the 308 Winchester and not recommend apparently for civilian sporting rifles?) would be a bad idea to use with the 550 or the Saiga?

3) And last how many rounds approximately (give or take a 100 or so) will a pound of power last for?

There are other questions, but I'm going to be ordering a couple or three reloading books, so I think I can figure the rest out.........

Also what do you folks think about my adding a Board covering reloading as a separate topic from Ammunition? Worth the effort?
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 12:00:22 AM »
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline noylj

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 12:48:16 AM »
For rifles, and I would expect all pistols except maybe .25 Auto, the cutting of powder "logs" has no impact on the accuracy of the load.

From my understanding, every shot from every gun will discharge some unburned powder. Considering EXACT weight as being the path to accuracy has never worked for me. In fact, consistently throwing charges by volume tends in my rifles and handguns to produce slightly more accurate and consistently accurate ammo (smaller mean and std. dev.).

Ball powders tend to burn hotter than stick powders.
However, there is no way to choose one over the other until you have tried several in you gun to see what works best.
For a 40 gn charge weight, controlling the charge to +/- 0.4gn is a good as it gets--and is much better than even the premium factory ammo is held to.

One "problem" is that most rifles are never fired enough to determine what is "best" and many that are will be "shot out" before the testing is over. However, do not even think that just one or two 3- or 5-shot groups tells you what the load will really do. If you see more than a 0.5" change in group size for a 0.2gn change in charge weight, you are seeing much more of the randomness of the result than any truth about the mean accuracy of the charge.

1) What would be the best type of powder to use, ball or rod? For 9's, Mak's, .380, 40's and 45's and also for 308 for both the 550 UCS and the Saiga?
There is no way any one can tell you what your guns will prefer. For light pistol target loads, I prefer 231/HP38 (spherical), AA2 (spherical), and Solo 1000 (single-base flake that burns cooler then most). For magnum loads, all my magnums prefer 2400 (flake) over 296/H110 (spherical?). My criteria is always accuracy and not velocity.
In my .30-30s, IMR 3031 (logs) is about as good as it gets. In my .30-06s, IMR 4895 (logs) is about as good as it gets. One propellant my AR likes with many bullets and weights is IMR 4064 (log). If I was loading 7.62x39, one of the first powders I would try would be IMR 4198 (log)

2) any reason why 308 NATO (hotter round then the 308 Winchester and not recommend apparently for civilian sporting rifles?) would be a bad idea to use with the 550 or the Saiga?
That is a matter for the manufacturer to determine. I can not imagine a need to push the .308 over SAAMI limits.

3) And last how many rounds approximately (give or take a 100 or so) will a pound of power last for?
It is all dependent on the charge weight. There are 7000 grains to a pound. 1 grain = 0.000142857143 pounds. For a "typical" pistol load of 5.0gn, 5.0gn equals 0.000714285. So 1 lb will load 1400 rounds. A 20gn charge weight is 0.00285714 lbs, so 1lb will produce 350 rounds. So a 40gn charge weight will produce 175 rounds.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:36:03 PM by GhostWarrior »

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 07:50:21 AM »
I've been using a Dillon 650 for approx 16 years now. There have been a few cosmetic changes since then but nothing major. I think this would indicate a successful machine. I only use mine for 9mm, 40 & 45 handgun and 223. All other rifle and large cal magnum handgun go on the old Rock Chucker. Remember that with a progressive you can still do some stages manually. I don't like to break the cycle.and with handgun ammo progressives are plenty precise.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:08:31 AM »
       Thanks for the help. So I suppose this leads to another question. I won't be loading in my Garage for 2 reasons it isn't climate controlled in any size shape or way. Which means that the humidity and temp can change radically, Affecting the powder and adding to the chance of static discharge. I can most likely deal with the static discharge by placing the loader and on either a grounded Anti Static rubber pad I have for working on computers especially the old ones. And I have some Pink Antic Static Computer foam for commercial carry cases, that have sensitive equipment in them, I think either of them would mitigate any static. (And I have seen what static and power do when mixed, and it's not a good thing, Especially what's left after it's put out.) So I'm pretty freaky about anything possibly picking of static. The other reason is even if I wanted to I can barely get through my garage let alone setting up enough space to reload :grin:

Anyway after being way to wordy as usual, is there any sort of cabinet/fire proof cabinet/Grounded fireproof cabinet, that is available to store the Powder in, Especially since apparently I will be using different kinds until I find the ones that work best for me? I tried Searching and didn't get anywhere, so maybe I didn't word my search correctly?

Also I asked in the Ammunition Board if anyone thinks a Board dedicated to Reloading would be a usefull thing to start? A couple of my other ideas/boards have almost no traffic so I'm going to move anything in them to a different board and then delete the Boards. I don't want to make another board that sees little or no use. So I'm asking for a conscience, Maybe set up a vote sort of thing.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 02:36:46 PM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

bnmorgan

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2012, 11:30:17 AM »
I'm neutral on the new board idea.

Yes, almost any cabinet made of metal with a grounding wire headed for proper earth ground should suffice. If you are really paranoid of it, you can get a flammables storage cabinet which is made for the purpose, double walled, insulated, and has blowout/hose bungs in the sides....usually painted bright yellow or red, with "FLAMMABLE" prominently displayed, but be seated while shopping for them, as they're usually priced heavily. 

If you are patient you can find decent deals on them at ebay sometimes, maybe if you check industrial auctions in your area for places going out of business, etc.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2012, 01:07:15 PM »
Smokeless powder needs to be kept (reasonably) cool. It will deteriorate more rapidly if stored at higher temperatures like 80-100 degrees. Garages here in Texas can easily reach 100+ in the summer months. Deteriorating powder can be detected by a reddish dust that becomes evident when measuring or pouring. The powder should not be discarded but taken to a safe location and poured out and ignited (no it won't explode). It burns rather intensely and you can realize all the stored energy going up in flame. It can also be burried where it will become excellent fertilizer. These are recommendations I have read over the years although I have experienced severely decomposed IMR that had rusted through the (then metal) cannister. I disposed of it by igniting since that seemed to get me just a little satisfaction for my money. Reminder, this is smokeless powder not black powder. You don't want to light a pile of black powder unless you need an instant tan.

Never store powder with primers. Primers are much more likely to accidentally ignite than powder. Also, I don't know the rule for this, but you shouldn't store excessive amounts of powder in a single container for obvious reasons. So it might be wise to purchase more than one smaller cabinet in order to minimize critical mass.

My biggest problem with static charge is that it can cause ball (flattend ball) powder like Bullseye or Unique to stick to the sides of a plastic funnel and the sides of the powder dispenser thereby causing inconsistant dispensing. I've had to go so far as to tap the side of the dispenser with each throw to knock out all the powder.
DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2012, 02:19:25 PM »
In the past I have sprinkled powder on my lawn in the rain to get rid of the powder.  You could use a garden hose if no rain is likely.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2012, 05:13:08 PM »
Thanks again for the help, I will start looking on ebay, and craigs list etc.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2012, 10:30:04 AM »
" Also I asked in the Ammunition Board if anyone thinks a Board dedicated to Reloading would be a usefull thing to start? A couple of my other ideas/boards have almost no traffic so I'm going to move anything in them to a different board and then delete the Boards. I don't want to make another board that sees little or no use. So I'm asking for a conscience, Maybe set up a vote sort of thing." ~ GhostWarrior

I'm thinking it might (but then I like to reload and many people feel it's a waste of time). This "Ammunition" forum could then be reserved for factory ammo.

www.loaddata.com has a current Burn Rate Chart in pdf. I like to keep one of these above my loading bench. For newbies to reloading it doesn't mean much but trust me, after you have worked up a few dozen loads and compared all the loading manuals and powder choices and powder availability you will find yourself looking at it often. When I started loading there were about 50 powders and now there are 178. Crazy!

Came back to add:  Handloader Magazine, Rifle Magazine & Successful Hunter all published by Wolfe Publishing are so much worth the money. I've been getting Handloader for years (every 2 months) and still look forward to getting it. There is a wealth of information not only on reloading but various handguns and rifles and other new products. I highly recommend it.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 12:02:49 PM by DeeDubya »
DW
~ James D. Miles