Author Topic: Rear sight slightly askew  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Zman72

Rear sight slightly askew
« on: January 15, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »
Anyone have a CZ pistol with the rear sight a bit off? In my excitement when I bought my 1st CZ pistol a shadow 2, I didn’t realize the rear sights are off center.  Before anyone says “you shouldn’t have bought it or bring it back” it is what it is at this point. My LGS either didn’t have one or they were overcharging so I took a chance on GB.  To this day never had an issue with anything I have bought on GB.  I have not shot it yet but wanted to see if I’m not alone with this issue. So, I would really appreciate anyone who has experienced this with their pistol.  I can’t seem to figure out how to attach pics😫.

Offline gaijin

Re: Rear sight slightly askew
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 05:30:33 AM »
Rear sights are rarely, if ever, perfectly centered.
They are "drift adjustable" (for windage error)- if not actual adjustable sights.

The rear sight must be adjusted/moved in order for the pistol to shoot POA/POI.

A photo would be helpful......

Online chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:51:52 AM »
I had the same problem on my CZ Compact when I bought it. The sights were off a bit to the left, so I was able to use a friends sight pusher and got it lined up properly.....It not that unusual....
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline gaijin

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 06:44:22 AM »
The chance of any handgun shooting precisely to POA, with the rear sight centered, is extremely small.
That is why they're "adjustable".

Before "centering" the RS- shoot it from the bench for group. Your gun may have been rough dialed in from the factory.
It is an unreasonable expectation that the RS be centered- and the gun shoot precisely to POI.

Different loads; 115 gr FMJ/JHP's, 124 FMJ/JHP's, 147 FMJ?JHP's, your handloads- will shoot to a different POI.

IF your accuracy requirement is "minute of head" (6") at 25 yds.- center the RS in slide. That may work.

Of 200+ handguns through my hands, ALL of them required RS be adjusted, but then my accuracy requirements are no more than a couple inches deviation of POA/POI at 25 yds.

Offline Zman72

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2019, 07:50:15 AM »
Thank you for your responses.  I’ll let you guys know how it works out after the range.

Offline J Mercurio

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 09:22:43 PM »
Unfortunately not that uncommon, I saw it a lot with Sigs.  Regardless, its an easy fix.

Offline gaijin

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 04:26:28 AM »
Pardon me, but what part of "THE REAR SIGHT WILL NOT BE CENTERED IN THE SLIDE, IF THE GUN IS SIGHTED IN PROPERLY- AND THAT'S OK" are failing to grasp?
If the RS were meant to be dead center of the slide, I am certain the manufacturers would have simply incorporated the sight into the slide at production.
It would be easier and cheaper than a separate component.

In order to accommodate any windage error in POI (Point Of Impact), the Rear Sight HAS to capable of being moved, re-positioned, in the slide.

Offline J Mercurio

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 08:00:25 PM »
There is an expectation that from the factory the sight will be centered, and it should be.  I never have to change the windage on my guns so I want them centered.  They're moveable so the can be changed not just for windage. 

Offline gaijin

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2019, 04:52:00 AM »
"There is an expectation that from the factory the sight will be centered, and it should be."- Unless they have been sighted in at the factory (which seldom happens these days).

" I never have to change the windage on my guns so I want them centered."- If your accuracy requirements allow 2"-6" Left or Right at 25 yds., yes- this works.

"They're moveable so the can be changed not just for windage."- ?? If you're referring to ADJUSTABLE rear, then yes, Center the Sight Body in dovetail and crank the sight blade adjustment L or R. I am uncertain if CZ even offers this style RS (think BoMar, or clone).

The examples above; CZ "Shadow 2"- appears to have adjustable Rear Sight, "Compact" appears to have standard DRIFT ADJUSTABLE Rear Sight.
Apples to Oranges comparison.

Offline NightSightJim

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2019, 05:24:37 PM »
Any quality handgun should have been shot at a target before leaving the factory.  That said, first shoot the gun to see if it is off.  Have a friend or two also shoot the gun.  If the tight pattern is off then it is the sight.  If the shots are allover the place then it is the shooter.  I had a Glock 34 that shot 6 inches to the left and when I got the round finally centered, the sight was half off the top of the gun.  Sent it back, defective barrel, Glock sent a new gun.  Thant is why all mt CZ handguns come from the custom Shop....perfect before I ever pull the trigger for the first time.