Author Topic: Did 'gunsmith' ruin my TS .40?  (Read 2398 times)

Offline frgood

Did 'gunsmith' ruin my TS .40?
« on: September 22, 2018, 05:45:15 PM »

First of all, I've shot my TS .40 in Limited for the past four years without any incident. This year , I replaced the recoil spring and the Slide Stop finally did break. The new recoil spring is the same weight as original.  The last two months I am getting an odd situation.

I am not cognizant of the exact name but  during firing a round stops about half way into the breach. The second round is pitched steep into the above round causing a jam. Removing the magazine require some force to release. Sometimes I am successful in racking the slide. Typically, I change mags at this point.

While it seems to happen more frequently, I am perplexed. Some days no issue at all and others it seems every mag. I first thought doing a thorough cleaning of the mags would alleviate the issue. that worked until today when my first run found this 'double feed(?)' . Next two stages, no issue.

Is it simply a cleaning issue? or is there a general diagnostic path for double feeds with a CZ TS .40?

Edit:  I forgot to mention that I sent it to a 'gunsmith' for a simple cleaning. it was a one-off the beginning of this year. Upon inspection, it looks to me like he tried to 'polish' my ramp. Something it DID NOT NEED. If he changed the angle, or, if he rounded off the top of the ramp, would this cause a double feed?  This is my guess.

Offline Dvrdwn72

Re: Did 'gunsmith' ruin my TS .40?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 05:34:01 AM »
Anything is possible, but you would have to radically alter the ramp as I do not think a simple polish would be the cause. I polished mine and ran several thousands of rounds without issue.
Now, things like mag springs, followers, can cause issues, they have me very similar problems like yours. I would call Dave at cajun gun works and see what he says. He has helped me with small issues.

Offline frgood

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 07:22:01 AM »
Update - The issue of the double feeds is caused by the magazine. 

1 - The older magazine lips have opened up slightly over time. We're talking several 10's of thousandths. After closing them slightly I looked at the springs and follower.
2 - I replaced all but one magazine  springs and followers. Specifically replacing the CZC with Springer Precision. This is due to all magazines have 140mm basepads (numbered).     This kit requires no 'tuning' and work without issue. The one remaining with the CZCustom still double feeds, thus confirming the hypothesis and will be upgraded.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 08:53:16 PM »
Good to hear it's only mag related.