Author Topic: Total noobie... many questions - hope I can get some help !  (Read 3142 times)

Ummagumma

Total noobie... many questions - hope I can get some help !
« on: September 22, 2011, 08:27:49 PM »
First off, I apologize for posting some questions that are probably very basic.

I do not own a gun and never owned one, although shot some in the past.

I finally decided to get a handgun, mainly for target shooting - and I need some help with getting one.

My price range is about $400-500. I want a 9mm gun, and after a lot of internet research narrowed it down to CZ75 series. A friend of mine has a Beretta but it seems the CZ's are equally good, and slightly cheaper.

So, a few questions...

What difference is there between CZ75B, Compact, and PCP ? I understand the design differences, but what is the diff in accuracy, reliability, effective range, shooting characteristics, etc . ? The only one I held in my hand was Compact, which felt heavy-ish (in a good way). I assume the longer barrel of 75B would produce a higher muzzle veloicity, and being heavier it would have less recoil ? Right now I am sort of torn between the 75B and Compact.

What is a good place to buy them ? What's a good price ? It seems that around $520 is a going internet price for Compact, and 75B is a bit cheaper. ADDED: CZCustom.com has the Compact listed at $462 and is taking reservations, are they reputable ? This seems like a nice price - is it ?

What should I expect to pay a local dealer to process the internet order ? One shop quoted $40, and there was an online ad from a guy who said he's only charging $15, is it too good to be true ?

Anything to watch out for (other than store ratings) ? This is my first gun purchase so I know next to nothing.

Appreciate any help !
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 08:33:49 PM by Ummagumma »

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Total noobie... many questions - hope I can get some help !
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 10:04:30 AM »
          Hi and Welcome to the Forum, We are allways happy to see a new member. Good folks here, and I'm sure you will find them very helpfull.

Since you say you want to do primarily target shooting then I would go with the 75B for many of the reasons you listed. Over all as a target pistol or a CCW pistol you would do very well to have that one as your first choice. I have been carrying a CZ75 since the early 80's. The Compact and the PCR are very good for CCW on a daily basis and you are an average to good shooter. I have the 75, 75B, P-01 Compact, RAMI, 82, 82, and the 52. They all shoot extremely well, but if you are a novice shooter I really would suggest you start off on the 75B.

FFL transfer fees vary so much for one place to another it's hard to say what is the average let alone the best fee. I have heard of some FFL holders (mostly Gunstores and fro good customers) charging 10.00 dollars per transfer. I have allseen on e posted at 75 Dollars per transfer. ( my guess here is the person was either stupid, or thought he had the market cornered in FFL's. ( as in he was the only one within a couple miles) Either that or he really didn't want to have to deal with the papaer work and the record keeping, which begs the question why did he even post what his fee's were in the first place. I think the average might actually be somewhere between 35 and 25 dollars per transfer.

Unless you are buying directly from a store, CZ-USA or CZCUSTOM ( yes they are about as good as they come, most of them are part of the CZ-USA shooting teams) then I would strongly advise you to use www.Gunbroker.com or www.auctionarms. com as you base of operations for buying a weapon on line. I have bought a goodlynumber of weapons from/through both and allways well satisfied.

I hope any or all  of this helps in someway. And again welcome to the CZForum.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Roadking Rider

« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
I owned quite a few different brands of pistols. Some I actually still do have. Let me say this though the CZ75 B is without a doubt one of the finest pistols I've ever owned and shot. It is by far the finest pistol I've ever shot in the $500 price range. If I had something negative to say about the 75B I would mention it also, but I got nothin.  IMO Great gun at a great price. I believe you can go on there web site and find a dealer near you.  I'm lucky as there is one less than 3 miles from my front door. :grin:

Ummagumma

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »
Thanks 2 all !

The local dealers' prices seem to be $200 higher than the internet ones. That said, what should I expect to pay for 75B ?

I am still somewhat confused. If the accuracy at a "normal" range (25-50 yds) is the same, what is the advantage of 75B vs the Compact ? Also, is 75B too bulky for a carry weapon ? The weight doesn't bother me, I'm more worried about the size.  I am not planning on getting a CCW license yet, but if I do, I don't want to have a wrong gun.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2011, 10:19:41 AM by Ummagumma »

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 12:35:04 AM »
First off, welcome to CZ Forum!
As for the 75B, well...
 I have tried every pistol I could, and I have tried a bunch. Glock, HK, FN, Smith and Wesson, Colt, Browning (JMB was my great x5 grandfather, BTW), etc. The ONLY pistol I fell in love with, had to own, and carry nearly EVERYWHERE is the 75B. It's an incredible pistol. It shoots better than most if not all of us ever will. It looks simple, sleek, and sexy. It's shoots 9mm which is the cheapest ammo you can get that is suitable for serious defense. There is nothing (in my opinion) that could be better than a 75. Also, they are cheap, and that is something I expect to change any time now. I love mine more than anything I've ever owned, and I know you'll love them too, if you pick one up.

Ummagumma

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 11:20:14 AM »
I greatly appreciate all responses. This is one of the best group of people on any forum I've used.

I think I am settled on 75B - after all it looks cooler than the compact, as silly as it sounds ;)

Now just waiting for them to be in stock.

Ummagumma

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2011, 12:50:07 PM »
Well, thank you all again for being such a helpful bunch !

Unfortunately, seeing how CZ75 is nowhere to be found, and after checking out some other guns - and a trip to a local gun store where I could rent & try it out - I ended up buying a Glock 17 instead. Well, ordering it, anyway - the internet price being a good $120 less + tax. The cost was just $30 or so more than the CZ. Would've waited for the CZ but I really liked the relatively light weight of the Glock, and it felt pretty comfortable to shoot. (And I am a terrible shooter with not too steady hands, as I found out - can hit a mansized target at 50 ft, just not where I aim ;) ) Plus - supposedly - it needs very little maintenance / adjustments out of the box, which is great for a complete noob like me.

I am sure to check back with general questions, and again, I greatly appreciate the help I was able to receive on this forum !
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 12:52:42 PM by Ummagumma »