Author Topic: New member with a couple of questions.  (Read 9794 times)

pdhntr

New member with a couple of questions.
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
Greetings.

I will try to keep this short.  I have some experience with rifles, I have been building custom stocks for quite a few years, and within the past year purchased a lathe and just finished building a wildcat 6mm-06 that is shooting very well. 

But I don't know much about pistols.  With Wi. going CC I purchased a CZ-82 from a local gunsmith and he said he had fixed the slide stop spring.  Well, it fell out today.  I really don't want to go back to him with this.   I would rather fix it myself.

From my research, it seems as though CZ-83 parts are the same as the 82.

Is that correct?  And can these parts still be purchased from CZ?

Thanks for any information.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 08:17:59 AM by pdhntr »

pdhntr

Re: New member with a couple of questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 10:04:46 AM »
Never mind.

I made a spring and fixed it myself.

Jim

american lockpicker

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:21:54 AM »
How did you make a spring?

pdhntr

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 06:46:30 PM »
I used some round spring stock I had from an AR-15 magazine I shortened.  There are heavy springs in some mags and lighter ones in others.  The smaller diameter (lighter) fit the hole in the release but I had to thin it ever so slightly and bend it, to fit around the pin and into the recess in the trigger guard.

It is a little on the stiff side, but after adjusting it works very well and I am sure I won't have to replace that again.

Jim

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 07:17:27 PM »
First of all, Welcome to CZ Forum!
I'm sorry to hear about your problem, but from what I have found, it looks like the same spring from an 83 will do the trick. Some have even mentioned puttinga drop of epoxy somewhere (I could probably point to it if I had your firearm, but I don't know what it's called...  :sad: ) to prevent the spring slipping in the future. Also, people tend to buy a few springs and just have one handy. I'm sorry you are enduring this, but it shouldn't be too bad. Your 82 is probably a few years old, and the fact that the spring is your only problem is a good thing.

I know that isn't what you want to hear, and I wish I could be more help. Good luck and stay safe!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 09:35:31 PM »
pdhntr          Ok you just made the top ten of intresting Engineers and or world class craftspersons in my book! I honestly don't think I have ever heard of someone making a coiled spring from basically scratch or at least modifying you to the extend you have, Not that I am any sort of gunsmith or craftsman you are just the first person I ever meet that did what you did with a weapon. I'm sure there are folks all over the world that are that good but I haven't meet them. Thanks for posting that. and if you happen to have any pics you could post that would be very shiny.

Oh and Welcome to the Forum. You will find a great many folks like yourself that know tons about gunsmithing and weapons in general, and in the process I think you will make some new friends in the process. I am looking forward to reading about any other fixes you come up with in the future.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

pdhntr

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 10:28:28 PM »
I can take some pics and hopefully post them tomorrow evening.  Too late tonight.  I am assuming posting pics on this forum is basically the same as all others.

I also made a spring to fix the safety on an old Mauser pistol I got from an estate sale several years ago.  That one was a real problem compared to the CZ one.

What caused me to make that one for the Mauser was I found one, ordered it, got it and put it in and the thing broke the very first time I tried to use it.  It was too brittle.  There was no choice after that. 

Jim

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 10:32:10 PM »
I can't wait to see the magic! And yeah, hosting pictures works like any other forum, but if you can host them at Flickr or Photobucket (or the like) it helps us out substantially.

Thank you so much for your input! I'm excited to see how you did it!

american lockpicker

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 03:21:52 PM »
You can upload to tinypic with no account.

pdhntr

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:27 PM »

Well, I have tried everything and I can't seem to find the right code.

I have posted images before on other forums and understand the code.

I can't figure this one out.  Can one of you guys help.

This image code should work:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/pdhntr/_0378.jpg

Then there should be an image code in front and one at the end with the / symbol.

What the heck is going on?

pdhntr

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 08:58:04 PM »

The numbers are wrong, or they are not registering.

I have to figure out what the four digit code is, because it doesn't seem to be 0378.

The 2503 worked perfectly.

Will try to look on photobucket again.

Jim

pdhntr

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 09:15:07 PM »

I got it figured out.

I will write up another post during the commercials of top shot.

Jim

pdhntr

« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 09:45:33 PM »

OK, finally got it figured out.  Photobucket stuck in an IMG_ on me that I didn't catch the first few times as I usually type in the entire code instead of using the button.

The following is the CZ-82 that I replaced the slide stop spring on and a Mauser that I replaced the safety spring on.

The spring that I made looks like a slightly bent "J".

I also had to make a new pin as the one that was in there when I got the pistol was too short.  The new pin is on the left. 

You might be able to see the recess in the trigger guard that the spring has to fit in.

This is with the spring installed.  You can see it has to fit around the pin.

This is the Mauser pistol I picked up that wasn't working.  I got a replacement spring from Sarco and it broke the first time I worked the safety.  So I didn't have a choice.  I had to make a spring or it was worthless.

I can say from personal experience you don't want to make one of these springs.  I think it took me three tries before I finally got it right.  It is made from round spring stock that I filed flat on two sides.  The spring doubles back on itself to the point it almost touches again.

I will not do it again.  When and if it breaks again, I will retire the pistol.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 11:18:11 PM by pdhntr »

american lockpicker

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 11:18:26 PM »
I used to have one of those.  :cheesy:  My first 32 pistol.  :cheesy:  Its a WW1 era pistol with a very short life(1000 rounds IIRC...)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
                 It may have taken a bit to get those pics up but they were worth the wait! I could wish I had that kind of skill set, plus the skills and knowledge of DeeDubya, DenStinett, Angryvikingman, b5.5dan  and everyone here that has the skills and knowledge. But that’s not going to happen, but I am so very glad to get to learn something new, which after Family and CZ's is my favorite pass time. You all deserve props for your skills, knowledge, and willingness to share your knownledge to help others.

As long as folks like you all are members we will be the best we can be at helping our members and guests. Now I only have to live up to my own and figure out how to actually do all the things I want to do here, to back you guys up. So many things, I want to do, and none of them anything I know about, and learning them is taking time and more time.

Thanks again all of you and thanks to pdhntr for his efforts and the time he took to figure out how to share his skills and knowledge.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice