Author Topic: Hearing at competitions  (Read 9975 times)

Offline frgood

Hearing at competitions
« on: July 28, 2014, 06:36:55 AM »
The following is a list of my hearing devices. This post is a result of a conversation @chfields and I had after a recent Steel Match. I'd like others to contribute their thoughts regarding maximum hearing protection (my concern) and ensuring the ability to hear range commands, conversations, and the beep.

I have found;
  • Howard Leight  L1 - L3 ear muffs are NRR 25(L1) 27(L2), and 30 (L3) - Work fine and are inexpensive.
  • Howard Leight Ear muffs Impact Sport Electronic Earmuffs (NRR 22 dB) - Have some amplification to help with range sounds. Lately, I see these most often in use. Probably due to the cost of less then $50. I wore mine when strolling around the outdoor range and hunting. When I add foam plugs at an indoor range. I am quite comfortable. I cannot hear range commands though and must remain extra vigilant to my surroundings. Friends have had to wave their hands in front of my face to get my attention.
  • Ghost Stryke - In ear electronic plugs with a 30NRR. These are moderately expensive 400-500, as opposed to those $1500+ ones. These I like best for competition and look forward to hunting this upcoming season. Rifles no longer lift the earpiece and I get sufficient protection while amplifying the surrounding environment so that normal conversation is possible. The only issue is they are delicate (or I am too hamfisted). I broke the battery door the first use. It has since been repaired.
My thinking is that we spend hundreds and thousands on our guns, training, and ammo. But we go really cheap with our own health. So this season I did not buy an extra CZ 75 SA and decided to ensure my hearing for the rest of my life. What are your experiences with hearing devices?

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: Hearing at competitions
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 04:57:38 AM »
I like the soft disposable ones, but Moldex is rated 33db NRR which is twice the reduction of 30 db. 
http://www.gemplers.com/product/6800M/Moldex-Uncorded-Earplugs-Pura-Fit-200-Pair

Offline frgood

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 05:16:05 AM »
The soft disposables do provide superior protection. For those of us that have sensitive or damaged hearing, I think they are the only choice.

Offline PappaWheelie

• "This is war, and in war, time is of the essence"
    • The Children's Bread
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 12:53:47 PM »
With regard to damaged hearing...

Etymotic Research, the global leader in these things, has fought and finally won a long battle with the Feds to be able to offer a prescriptionless Quiet Sound Amplifier (the "BEAN") that for $214 per ear offers state of the art amplification of the soft, high frequency sounds that typify hearing damage.

Read the "I've got BEANS in my ears!" review on their website https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/personal-sound-amplifiers/bean-qsa.html (Page eight) for feedback from a user who had for 20 years invested in the "state-of-the-art" (non-Etymotic technology) hearing aids, most recently the Starkey SoundLens @ $4K each, and reports the BEAN Quiet Sound Amplifiers to be far superior.

I've recently begun using them myself, and wrote the (currently Page 1 but with webmaster fixes needed) "Stunningly Effective Product" review which, btw, should end at the "*see Etymotic's History with FDA, under Background of BEAN Development" footnote, maybe 8 lines down. Use of 3M 1100-based seals provides for all-day comfort in my hypersensitive ear canals.

Best Concealed Carry Rig? http://www.czforum.com/forum/index.php?topic=5398.0
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:56:38 PM by PappaWheelie »
Member, Gun Owners of America
CC: CZ 2075 RAMI BD in PappaWheelie Invisible 15 Round RAMI Holster
Homeboy: CZ 97 BD, Underwood 45 Super 120 Grain Xtreme Defender ammo
UBG: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical Urban Grey Suppressor-ready
-all w/ CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger, polished SA tooth

Offline frgood

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 01:42:41 PM »
Could you double check your link? I'm seeing a discussion on a holster and its modifications.  Perhaps you could copy/paste the line to which you are referring.

[mind you, I'm breaking in a new pair of contacts ad could have simply missed it. I"m told everything is a 'little' blurry for several days until my 'brain adjusts]

Offline PappaWheelie

• "This is war, and in war, time is of the essence"
    • The Children's Bread
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 06:48:03 PM »
Hi frgood,

The Bean QSA link was embedded in the 1st paragraph, now the 2nd after "clarifying" modifications; the bottom link was added as an "of possible interest," but I've modified it to add a standalone title to clarify it to be offering unrelated info. Thanks for calling me out!
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 06:55:16 PM by PappaWheelie »
Member, Gun Owners of America
CC: CZ 2075 RAMI BD in PappaWheelie Invisible 15 Round RAMI Holster
Homeboy: CZ 97 BD, Underwood 45 Super 120 Grain Xtreme Defender ammo
UBG: CZ 75 SP-01 Tactical Urban Grey Suppressor-ready
-all w/ CGW Short Reset Kit/1485-T2 Disco, 5 "Thick" Trigger, polished SA tooth