Author Topic: The CZ Duo Pistol  (Read 23786 times)

cimic

The CZ Duo Pistol
« on: September 10, 2012, 05:09:55 AM »

I came across a CZ Duo Pistol, chambered in .25 ACP, manufactured just after WW11, very little used and in almost 'as new' condition.  Unfortunately it wasn't for sale and I didn't get the chance to fire it. But I was intrigued and I followed up the chance encounter with a Google search. 
The name "Duo" derives from combining the name of gunsmith / machinist who produced the pistol: Frantisek Dusek and the town where he lived, Opocno. 
The Duo is a single action, hammerless design, having many features in common with the Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket Hammerless Pistol and the Baby Browning.
When Nazi Germany invaded Czechoslovakia the Germans took over the manufacture of the pistol and it became a concealed carry 'last ditch' weapon of choice for officers of their armed forces.  A fascinating snippet of historical information...

(Please follow this link for a selection of images of the Duo pistol.)

https://www.google.co.za/search?q=cz+duo+pistol&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=EqS&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnsfd&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=d0xPUJXyK8yRhQf7-IDIDg&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1280&bih=640&sei=fExPUJbVJsK2hQeAyICABg
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:08:47 AM by cimic »

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: The CZ Duo Pistol
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:02:44 PM »
               Welcome to Our forum. We are happy you joined, and posted the picture and the info about the DUO. Actually you beat me to it. I have 2 along with the next one in line the .25 Z which is actually the DUO but made officially by CZ, if I got that bit correct. And then there is the CZ 1945, all of which are .25 calibre.

That one you posted is in Very good shape as near as I can tell from the picture, and I'm not surprised it wasn't for sale! :grin: I certainly wouldn't sell it if it was mine.

As for the Nazi things, well you might have done better to not have used them, but in fact you are correct in that the Germans used then as soon as they could get to distributed to the troops. Actually there are a couple CZ's that were made for a year or so before the war that the Nazi confiscated, and no more were ever made. So it's a toss up on the extra stuff, and I'm not going to do anything about the picture. (BTW I'm Jewish) That really is about the nicest DUO I have ever seen and it deserves being shown, and if I can live with it then so can everyone else. Just don't do it again if you please. I also saw your post on the Welkom Board, so I realise that you are from South Africa (and I have been there on business and it was a fantastic place to see and be in) and things are way different there then most anywhere else in the world except possible Argentina. :laugh:

PLEASE Note: Where ever you got the picture please post the link and credits for where you got it. There are copyright laws and the owner of the pic MAY take exception to not being credited. Thanks. Frankly if you can find a different shot of one that is in that good of condition, it may want to swap them out, and don't forget the credits. :grin:
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:09:33 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

cimic

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 02:52:09 AM »
Thanks for your reply Ghost Warrior and for your forebearance.  In truth I am a bit of a history buff and I was intrigued by the historical background of the CZ Duo Pistol. Though the image reflects this, perhaps including it in my post was not my brightest idea notwithstanding the issue of copyright. I will look for an alternative photograph and substitute it.  In the meantime, if any member feels that the image should be removed I will gladly delete it.  (BTW my father and four of my uncles - all now passed away - joined up in the British armed forces at the outbreak of WWII. My personal view is that Nazism was a vile creed.)

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 11:02:47 PM »
            Hello and I am sorry your family members have passed on, but I have no doubt they served proudly and with the distinguishment that the Royal Armed Forces have been known for for generations, and no one can thank what Briton did to keep Hitler from taking over the world. I am have German and half Scot and as I mentioned Jewish, I understood perfectly the reasoning behind the picture you posted. And I said as much, but in truth, there are a great many folks that would take that the wrong way (both for and against unfortunately) and I thank you for removing it. I will say that it is one of the better pictures of the quality and craftsmanship of that pistol. And anyone that took even 5 mins to look up CZ's in general and the DUO in particular would know that the Germans took everything the Czechs had weapon wise and used it, so it's not unreasonable to find pictures of the older model CZ's with Nazi items around them. For that matter the CZ 27 is very hard to find without the Nazi markings on it. You can find them all day long with the German Occupation markings but the 27's without any German marks are not as easily found. I have some (including 2 27's one with the German occupation and no import markings and one with out the Geram occupation marks and no imports, I won't even consider for a second owning one with Nazi marking.) but not all the older model CZ's and am actively looking for the ones I don't have. And unfortunetly we shall have their hate and repulsion with us for some time yet, until the world grows up some and insanity ceases to be the quality of leadership some people desire.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

cimic

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:49:36 AM »
Thanks GW, I have replaced the photo of the Duo that was in my original post.  The one shown is a fine example too.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2012, 06:31:16 PM »
                   Yes it is. One of mine looks that good the other not so much. Once I have them and the others from the old days pre WWII Catalouged, I will set them up and see if I can photograph them as a complete set. Or as complete as I can afford t make it.

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 04:32:42 PM »
We already have a live chat feature........................
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad