Author Topic: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures  (Read 87886 times)

b5.5dan

Re: Range Reports with Proof, er, Pictures
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
Man. I don't know. I went from consistent 4" groups at 10 yards and being able to hit center mass consistently at 25 yards to being, well, the worst shooter ever... It's discouraging to say the least...

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2012, 09:55:32 PM »
Swing down south here and we can go shooting. Probably a bad batch of ammo.

b5.5dan

« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2012, 09:59:49 PM »
Well, then I will hold off on hating myself for a little while... Thanks for the excuse, er, thought.  :rolleyes: :laugh:

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2012, 06:53:50 AM »
off hand cupped supporting shooting hand (sometimes known as a revolver grip). I shoot better with the revolver style grip. The two handed grip with index finger on trigger guard I was shooting low and left.
Without the gun in your hand assune the cup & saucer (revolver) grip and jerk your strong hand up as if from recoil.  Try it again with your other grip style.  The hands do not stay together with the cup & saucer style grip.  Keep the meaty part of the thumbs together for more control.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2012, 08:23:45 AM »
Well, then I will hold off on hating myself for a little while
There are bad days, bad weeks, bad ammo, bad moods, and such. All of which will pass.

Seriously, when you are down this end of the valley let me know.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2012, 09:05:28 AM »
          ya Dan, What they said. there are three steps in getting good at something, learning how to it. Getting good at it. Then, for a while you seem to fall back into the learning/practicing part, I think it's a slump or something like that? not joking seriously can't remember, and I may even have the description wrong in some way, but I hope you get my meaning, (maybe the word is Plateau?)OH ya sorry 4 steps.  :azn: Then suddenly you are not only back in the grove but get better and better. And there ya go. You are simply at the second stage, it will pass, and like I said to start this What Rodolfo Fierro and sirgilligan said.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2012, 10:44:07 PM »
Thanks Gentlemen!
Here's the evidence of my feculent firing skills...

The shooting wasn't good at all, but the guns look nice...   :laugh:
By the way, this paper was shot with the SP-01, but they were all pretty much the same...

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2012, 11:11:39 PM »
Went to the range this afternoon, I am watching the Out Law Jose Wales so I am editing this during commercials.

CZ 85B on bottom, Browning Hi-Power on top. 7 Yards, 3 Rounds, free Standing as usual.
The CZ put 3 in the same hole! Can't complain.

CZ 85B, 7 yards, 5 rounds:

Browning HP, 7 yards, 5 rounds:

CZ 85B, 15 yards, 10 rounds, Fed 115 FMJ:

Amazed at the CZ 85B, that was 15 yards and 10 rounds, 3" group.

b5.5dan

« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »
Great shooting, Gil!

Man... I stink...  :embarrassed: :rolleyes:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2012, 11:03:02 AM »
sirgilligan:   

Nice shooting. Really nice shooting.

and Dan

Really just relaxe, Everyone hits this plateau or slump or what ever you want to call it, but stressing about it like you are is only making you tense up and if you aren't relaxed it's harder to get past it. Think of it as a given and forget about it, Don't sweat the small stuff man. Not to say that when competing or in a firefight you aren't tensed up, but for different reasons. Don't work so hard at hitting the ring, just have fun, Shooting is about fun, it's ALL about fun. It ain't fun if you are freaking out.  Ya it bugs me that I lost so much skill set, since I hadn't been shooting in about 10 years, frankly I was shocked, but I figured I was simply out of practice and had to relearn some muscle memory. As long as I hit center mass, I'm not going to worry about it. Don't really know how to say what I'm trying to tell you but try doing some meditating or some Zen before you start shooting, Lay your stuff out, set up your targets and then simply stand or sit back, drink something non decaffeinated chew or smoke a cigar and just look at the target let your mind go blank, say total 5 10 mins. Then step up and stay relaxed, Before your first shot, take a deep breath and then slowly let it out, and at the half way point stroke the trigger as you finish exhaling.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2012, 11:36:29 AM »
One thing I do is talk to my self. Yep, jabber jabber jabber. Mumbling under my breath type talking.
What am I saying?
Look at front sight, see rear sight, see target, align it, shoot. That is what I do when I am really trying to see what I can do, as yesterday.

When I am shooting quickly it is more, see target, see front sight, shoot.

And what GhostWarrior said, relax, don't stress.

The first shot with the Browning Hi-Power, well I can't take a picture of a miss. The new mag caused the trigger to drag so badly I gave it a hard squeeze and thus a jerk to the left and down. Going back and forth between the two wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I have never done a back to back like that before. I shot the BHP and immediately did the same number of rounds at the same distance with the CZ85B. I have very long fingers and I have recently put 500 rounds through the CZ. I hadn't shot the BHP since last August. Needless to say, I had grown accustom to the longer reach of the CZ.

Mechanically the are both equally accurate in my opinion. Sights are easier to see on the BHP. Grip and trigger pull length is a bit more cozy on the CZ. All in all, both are a must for any 9mm shooter.

p.s. Zero malfunctions with either weapon. Ammo: PMC Bronze 115 FMJ, Federal 115 FMJ. 35 rounds through CZ, 65 rounds through BHP. The BHP groups tightened up a bit after I went to only shooting it after the head to head shooting.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 12:29:06 PM by sirgilligan »

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 05:31:09 PM »
Decided to take the S&W Walther PPK/S  and one of my Hi-Powers out today.

Walther PPK/S:
 I shot 50 rounds of Magtech 95 grain FMJ. No failures. I have approximately 400 rounds through the firearm and no failures. It is so fun to shoot, but I hate buying .380 ammo.

All shooting is free standing, two handed, 10 rounds (shot 5 and then loaded and shot 5 again).

10 Yards:

15 Yards:

Browning Hi-Power. No failures. Federal Champion 115 grain FMJ.

7 Yards:

7 Yards:

I shot the Browning better today because I used the factory magazines. The trigger pulls much better with those mags. I have 265 rounds through this Browning so far.

I have 635 now through the CZ 85B.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 07:14:19 PM by sirgilligan »

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 06:11:20 PM »
Gilligan... You're really starting to make me angry with the amount of range time you get.... Or maybe jealous is the right word. Yeah, jealous.  :tongue:

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 06:20:52 PM »
Wife got me an annual range pass and I plan on using it some. I have shot more in the last 2 weeks than I do in 6 months. I have a bunch of "old" ammo I bought in 2008 (now why would I have bought a bunch of ammo in 2008, I wonder) that I am replacing with newer, better, and sometimes even cheaper stuff.

My best bud at work just asked me, "Which do you like better for shooting, the BHP or the CZ?" I paused for a moment. "The CZ", I replied, "Because I don't have to worry about scratches and finger prints on it!"  :grin:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2012, 08:57:03 AM »
I do hope I'll be able to shoot half as well now. Well done.