Author Topic: 75 vs 75B  (Read 3955 times)

grumpy

75 vs 75B
« on: October 16, 2011, 05:13:17 PM »
What are the  disadvantages and advantages of a 75 vs 75B, if any.  I'm looking to buy my first CZ and have found a 75 ( I believe you call them pre ban) at a reasonable price.  My experience with collecting Colts is the older ones are more valueable.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: 75 vs 75B
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 09:01:28 PM »

That's a pretty subjective question, and not really that easy to answer. Recently Israel has Updated their military and police with brand new CZ's and a great many of their old ones have suddenly shown up here, basically as a flood. You can get some pretty good prices with having to look really hard. But I would suggest that you have a qualified Gunsmith check it over before you hit the range with it just to be on the safe side. As an ex-LEO I can tell you that a great many of them really don't take proper care of their weapons, and it's an international failing not just here and there around the globe. Never understood it myself.

But that not really your answer. Here's the thing. The CZ 75 (also known as the pre-Ban and or the Pre-B) has a couple of things different from the B model. First off the most noticeable thing is that the trigger guards are totally different. 75's have round trigger guards, 75 B's have a squareish design. Second the 75B has a hammer block and the 75 doesn't. I personally think the 75 shoots better groups than the 75 B but that's most likely Bias on my part since I have been carrying a 75 basically everyday for the last 40 years give or take. I own both models, and about a third of the other CZ models on the market, both new editions to the line and limited editions. I can and will say that if you can get your hands on a NIB CZ 75 it will more than likely cost more than a NI 75B. Actually I donated a NIB 75 pre-B to the NRA Museum and they put it into their permanent collection, and it cost the better part of a thousand dollars. I found one just a month ago at a gun show and I nearly stroked out when I was the seller only was asking 600.00 for it. I ended up getting it for 550.00. and I was walking on air for the rest of the day. I was so surprised I almost blurted out he must have miss marked the pistol, But he seemed to know what he was about so I managed to keep my mouth shut and paid the man what we settled on.

Here's the biggest thing that different about the 75's and the 75B's; The 75's were finished with what I can only describe as substandard paint. I kid you not when I say that it will peel/chip off very easily it's shocking. CZ made the best 9mm in the world but they were way behind the curve when it can to finishes on their early model 75's, Actually most of their eerily models.

In a nut shell yes a CZ75 should be, new or used more expensive than the 75B, new or used. The 75B has the extra safety and a very good finish. The 75 looks cleaner, IMHO it shoots better but it lacks the extra safety. (personally I have the pin safety removed from my pistols, for  reasons that are not part of your question so I'll skip them. If you find a CZ75 for 600.00 or less especially if it doesn't have import marks leap on it like a Cheetah taking down an antelope. Try to look cool while you do it. HOWEVER, I would personally make sure it wasn't one the Israel upgrade, or if it is look it over very carefully. Or get a gunsmith if you know one well to check it out.

No offence intended but are you looking for a safe queen, so it will increase in value or will you be using it? oh ya I nearly forgot a very important issue you really need to know about Magazines made for the CZ75 will for all intents and purposes fit in every other CZ75 made up to at least point in time. BUT the reverse is not true. Some after market mags will not even fit into the mag well on a CZ75 Pre-B, MagPol, MecGar, and even the factory mags from CZ itself most likely will not fit the older CZ's. That may be a draw back for you. I know it makes my life a bit complicated having to keep the mags and pistols seperated so that I don't grab the wrong set.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice