Author Topic: Be A Sponge  (Read 10660 times)

Leo

Be A Sponge
« on: January 19, 2016, 06:04:14 PM »
For the new shooter and even some who have been in the game awhile... Be a sponge!  Always be open to new ideas and techniques. Just because you have been doing something a certain way, there might be a better or more efficient way to do it.  Absorb as much information as you can. Whether online, from better shooters around you or training aids. Try everything and filter out what does or does not work for you.

I am always evolving.  As a shooter who is looking to improve, I am always will to try something that might make me a better shooter.

Offline MMC

• Smooth is Fast
    • My Youtube Channel:
Re: Be A Sponge
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 08:21:02 PM »
Great post Leo. I think you can learn even from people that are below your skill level in certain situations.
Smooth is Fast

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 02:07:09 AM »
The learning never stops

Offline Orlandochuck

• CZFORUM.COM SHOOTING TEAM MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
Mike Seeklander is putting out a bunch of short training videos that are really good.

http://www.shooting-performance.com/videos/free-training-videos/
CZ 75 Shadow
IDPA Sharpshooter
USPSA
CZForum.com team member

Offline frgood

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2016, 05:21:19 AM »
I think 'Being a sponge' can sometimes be a mixed event at best. I have been shooting for only three years, but I sorely recall my first year full of 'helpful' people. So much so that my grip changed half a dozen times within the first month. Every single shooter I met, specifically those that I told I was new to shooting, stated their advice|method|technique was the definitive way to do things.

By the end of my first year, and to this day, I am still struggling to find the best method as I do not have a feel of my goal. Let me be fair. In life we should always be striving to learn, to better ourselves, and to better the world for those around us. One must use discretion when receiving advice and should weigh it, test it, and confirm its' validity. Consider the source, If Ben Stoeger is standing next to me and notes that I should try a different technique, I am probably going to give it some serious weight.

If, and this happens occasionally, at my local gun range, a Range Officer-esque  person strolls by and states that my grip is all wrong and and I should do [whatever is suggested], I will be polite until they go away and then resume what I am working on.

To complete my point with this direct personal experience, I am saving to go to a higher priced class (I.e. prominent teacher) to spend a day or two reviewing my grip, stance, sight picture, etc. This is after shooting three years as I know that when I practice dry firing, I do not know  the exact feel (experience) I  am trying to achieve. Part of this condition is from 'listening' to ALL the advice given to this newbie.

So do not adopt a style or technique unless the advice is corroborated, much like the News [used to be].