Author Topic: .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer  (Read 4181 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
.22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer
« on: June 14, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »
It was invented in the 1960s by P.O. Ackley to set a world record for firing bullets at over 5000 fps (1524 m/s). The round failed to reach the desired velocity. It is based on the .378 Weatherby Magnum cartridge case, necked down to .224 calibre. If I'm not mistaken the problem was getting a lower rate-of-twist. Normal (even slow like 1/12 was still to fast) twist rate at those speeds and the bullets would explode as they exited the muzzle.

[attachment deleted by admin]
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: .22 Eargesplitten Loudenboomer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011, 12:50:32 PM »
     Oh baby! I bet it was an earsplitting, loud banger! that's 4 or 5 times the speed of sound more or less! As in at the least Mach 4!  :shocked:  If they could have found a way to keep it in one piece after it was fired I wonder what the range would be and if it would even be accurate at all. Ya I figure he was just trying for the record and most likely didn't give a hoot about accuracy, but still!?? :smiley:
     Opps I think I got that wrong on at least an order of magnatude min. Mach 3 is aaprox 346 m/s so if he was trying for 1524 m/s thas actually about Mach 14 give or take a Mach.  :embarrassed:
Feel free to correect me, Math is not one of my strong points. Actually it's about on par with my spelling ab lity. :laugh:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 01:16:10 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice