Author Topic: Dan Wesson 357 Remington Maximum Supermag  (Read 6550 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Dan Wesson 357 Remington Maximum Supermag
« on: June 13, 2011, 03:40:01 PM »
Anyone here own, shoot or even remember the 357 Maximum? Remington introduced the cartridge and Dan Wesson built a revolver for it. TC chambered some barrels for it, and I believe some other manufacturers later. DW experienced gas cutting due to the 48000psi pressures and so I guess barrel life was short. I had a 16" TC barrel in 357max but never reloaded it. It was a fairly hard recoiling gun (compare to 44mag) and extremely loud.
http://www.danwessonforum.com/archives/200
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 03:56:14 PM by DeeDubya »
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Dan Wesson 357 Remington Maximum Supermag
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 04:34:16 PM »
DeeDubya you actually fired a TC that hurt more to shoot than the TC with a 240 grain gas checked .44 round in it?  :shocked: fired at supersonic fps?! As for loud well since I wore throw away foam ear plugs and a noise cancelling set of ear muffs when I was forced to fire that thing during Ballistic tests on vests, I'll can say how load it actually was, but I do know the people on the second floor used to complain. Course they worked for us so it was a really big problem.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011, 07:27:47 AM »
DeeDubya you actually fired a TC that hurt more to shoot than the TC with a 240 grain gas checked .44 round in it?  :shocked: fired at supersonic fps?! As for loud well since I wore throw away foam ear plugs and a noise cancelling set of ear muffs when I was forced to fire that thing during Ballistic tests on vests, I'll can say how load it actually was, but I do know the people on the second floor used to complain. Course they worked for us so it was a really big problem.
I agree the 240gr 44 would probably have more felt recoil, I said "fairly hard recoiling gun". What I have that recoils more is a 14" TC bbl chambered in 45win mag. I push 255gr gas checked bullets up to 1700fps. That thing will turn a cinder block into a white cloud of powder.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:15:45 AM »
Ya think?!! :cool: possibly that would be a inappropriate weapon to use hunting anything smaller than a Moose! well that is if you want anything left to eat.  :laugh:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

rob

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »
I used to own one with the 8" barrel.  We used to reload hot rounds with 180gr.  Great gun for .357 mag and .38's.  The max round was too much.  Actually cocked the cylinder and I eventually sold it.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:40:10 PM »
Hey rob! Welcome to the Forum!
        Man I love the TC's I really do especially for IHMSA shooting (Steel Silhouette), and always wanted to try it out hunting but I don't hunt silly me. I just think they look great and balance well, I just hated having to use that big honking round to test Body Armour. Man that thing hurt. Almost wish I had one, but I have other CZ I want more so I suppose that isn't going to happen.
       Anyway just really wanted to say welcome to the Forum and I hope you make many new friends here.