Author Topic: Home rolled  (Read 26160 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Re: Home rolled
« Reply #60 on: September 14, 2011, 02:22:36 PM »
Bullet manufacturers don't publish their loads for liability reasons. Their product has been extensively tested using a pressure barrel. Many loads are about at max so they can advertise the highest velocity. You can easily push a near maximum load over the edge by something as simple as bullet seating depth or even the amount of crimp applied. Reloading should be as precise and accurate as you can make it in order to be safe. Always start low and work your way up, watching for excessive pressure signs. Flattened primers, primers pushing into the firing pin hole, a light colored ring around the base of the case and difficult extraction are signs of high pressure.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #61 on: September 14, 2011, 05:43:07 PM »
Chronograph is sometimes a better way to identify pressure problems. Bob Forker (semi-retired rocket scientist) and other ballisticians have reported rifle test pressures as high as 70,000 p.s.i. without visible reaction from primers. Remember those high school science class gas laws, i.e. pressure equals velocity, but bear in mind that:

some firearms have loose barrels which reduce pressure and velocity; and,

some firearms have tight barrels which increase pressure and reduce velocity. See my post on tight Brno/CZ barrels.

Read the first chapter in Ken Waters Pet Loads; and a good manual like Speer #14 before you start. Make notes as you go. I read the Lyman 47th edition from cover to cover at least half a dozen times before I started reloading.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 07:20:38 AM »
"Read the first chapter in Ken Waters Pet Loads; and a good manual like Speer #14 before you start. Make notes as you go. I read the Lyman 47th edition from cover to cover at least half a dozen times before I started reloading."

This is good advice. I highly recommend the same.
DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

duke

« Reply #63 on: October 11, 2011, 04:46:34 PM »
Man... My mom's husband (saying that makes me feel like I'm 18 years old...  :embarrassed: ) said I can use his gear. He has a progressive rig that he says can do 100 carts/hour... Man... That would allow me to do a LOT more shooting!

I have the world's most noobish question: Why not just look at a box of factory ammo and load using those specs? For example, JHPs in .380 are 90gr as per Hornady. What do you get out of the experimentation? And please, be kind... I know nothing (obviously) about reloading.  :laugh:

Also, I don't have the reloader here because my "extra" house space is, at the moment, full of small toys that make obnoxious sounds, battery-operated toys that make obnoxious sounds, and children that, you guessed it, make obnoxious sounds...  :rolleyes: :laugh:

When you experiment, you can develop the most accurate load for your gun action and type bullet.  For example, I  reloaded several batches, starting at 5.2g and stopping at 5.8g, changing each load by .1g.  Then went to the range.  Of the 7 batches, the one using 5.5g's was the most accurate and had the best grouping.  This is now the load I use.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2011, 09:23:24 AM »
 A modification of Angus Hobdell's reloading recipe. 115 grain JHP ZERO bullet, 4.2 grains of VihtaVuori N320, Federal Small Pistol 100 Primer, and mixed brass. Max OAL 1.121 inches. 

This is the formula I'm going to follow. Although I was going to use FMJs, and 4.5 grains of powder. I'm going to buy a Lee Loasmaster, and try to get it dialed in the first 100 rounds. Heard they have problems with the primer feed, but I'm sure I can fix it, I'm good with my hands.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2011, 11:15:39 AM »
Are there any handloaders in the community? Reloading is a fundamental part of my shooting enjoyment. I was wondering if anyone has some "special" loads that their CZ likes to digest? I load a lot of the "plated" bullets like Ranier. Mostly because they are cheaper and it doesn't take a hollow point to kill a tin can.

I was Shocked when a friend sent me to Precision Delta to buy FMJ 9mm bullets. They were cheaper that plated bullets.  The shipping was included in the price !   I got 1000 of them last week. I have not loaded them yet, but they look like good quality.
http://www.precisiondelta.com/detail.php?sku=B-9-124-FMJ

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2011, 07:50:35 AM »
I'm definately going to check them out. I shoot mostly 40 but do have a lot of 9mm brass just begging to be reloaded.
DW
~ James D. Miles