Author Topic: Home rolled  (Read 26158 times)

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
Home rolled
« on: February 02, 2011, 10:03:10 AM »
Are there any handloaders in the community? Reloading is a fundamental part of my shooting enjoyment. I was wondering if anyone has some "special" loads that their CZ likes to digest? I load a lot of the "plated" bullets like Ranier. Mostly because they are cheaper and it doesn't take a hollow point to kill a tin can.
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Home rolled
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 05:29:30 PM »
I was thinking about getting into re-loading but that is going to have to be a back burner idea for a while. :(   I am spending a lot of time trying to learn how to admin this Forum so everyone benifits and has fun, Plus the CZForum.com Web Page is going up sometime by the end of this week or sometime next week for sure.  ;D
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 11:56:07 PM »
I reload all of the centerfire rounds I shoot…Can’t afford the factory stuff
Wish .22lr rounds could be reloaded...Trust me, I would if I could, just to save a buck
Haven't gotten into Shotshell reloads yet...Don’t really shoot that much shootshell…Maybe some day

As for what I feed my 9mm CZs;
I run 5.1 g of AA#5 behind a Berry's 124g RNCP
If I shoot any 115g RNCP, I use 5.6g of AA#5
I have use a few Ranier but Berry's make a fine plated bullet
And Accurate Powder has become my one and only powder now
Very clean and flows very well
Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 09:00:14 AM »
Yep I agree with you on AA5. It's a good choice for 40sw also. I haven't tried Berry's but will. I still have a bunch of Ranier from my IPSC days in the early 90's. Ranier was one of the first with plated bullets.
When I start working up a new load I generally have at least 3 recipe books open in front of me for comparison. 1) The powder mfg (ie Accurate, Hodgdon, etc.), 2) The bullet mfg (ie Hornady, Speer, etc.), and finally 3) Lymans manual. I will compare a desired load in all three before deciding on a starting load. Pistol loads are easy compared to the high pressure rifle loads which generally perform best at the high end of the chart. I also like to compare the published velocity with my chronograph but mainly for standard deviation which of course translates to accuracy.
I know I have some of the 147gr Raniers loaded with AA5. I'll check the charge wt just for grins.
DW
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

AH-1

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 11:17:09 AM »
like above I reload for all my guns but the 22lr. :) I also cast all my own bullets from the 9mm makarov to the 444.I started casting when I was in germany and scrounged wheel weights from the PX gas station.
here is the bullet I shoot in my brno 375 H&H.its a good one and makes shooting that rifle cheap.less than $5.00 for a box of 20 ;D .
pete

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 12:15:29 PM »
It's evident you've been casting a while. You don't get that kind of fill without a perfect temperature. I scrounge my lead from sawn off plumber's flashing on jobsites. I buy linotype from a local metals company and mix my own #2. Who's luber/sizer are you using? The Lyman is OK but I never got a heater for it and sometimes the lube doesn't fill the groves completely. I also cast 505gr minies for my Parker Hale musketoon. They are of course pure lead which I find harder to fill or maybe it's because of the base plug in the minie that cools too quickly. I routinely toss about half back in the pot. :-[
DW
~ James D. Miles

AH-1

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 01:08:45 PM »
thanks.I have been casting for over 30 years now.I started off on a coleman stove and used a lee cookie cutter sizer.I was lucky I bumped into a guy that bought a old building in belton tx and it had a bunch of linotype in it.I bought 400 lbs of the stuff @.25 a lb :D .
for a sizer I am using a star and love it.I had a lyman-leak-0-matic and gave it to a friend when I bought the star in 94.they are expensive but worth every penny imho.

pete

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2011, 01:49:23 PM »
so envious. what a shiny setup you have. I can only wish.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

AH-1

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 03:43:12 PM »
well thank you.now its just the 2 of us in the house w/2 mutts :D .I turned the extra bedroom into a gun/reloading room.I am now fully retired and it keeps me busy.

pete

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 05:15:36 PM »
Unfortunetaly I spent way more than I have or could really afford buying the Domain and setting up this Forum and the Web Site (It's going I promise........I think  :D ). So setting up any sort of re-loading anything is not going to happen any time soon. But I an envious of you and everyone else that can do it.

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 12:19:43 AM »
GW:
It really doesn't take a big bucket of $$$ to start reloading
I started with a Classic LEE Loader (link)
http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1296971477.3121=/html/catalog/cleeloader.html
Granted, it loads one caliber by hand, but, you're reloading
A single set of dies costs about as much
It's very easy to use and makes pretty go ammo too
I loaded thousands of rounds of both .38sp and .357 mag before buying my first press and dies
I shoot PPC with ammo I loaded with my LEE Loader and scored VERY WELL with it (289/300)
A plastic mallet, a block of oak and your LEE Loader are your tools
Primers, powder and bullets are your components (you got the brass)
$40.00 for the loader
$ 4.00 for 100 primers
$20.00 for a pound of powder (enough for over 1300 loads)
$14.00 for 100 9mm bullets
Less than $80.00 for your first 100 rounds (which sounds like a lot), but then the cost just keeps getting smaller for every 100 rounds you load
After you've loaded about 500 rounds, you're under $0.30 a pop and now you're making money and starting to save on all your ammo
I still have my Classic LEE Loader
I really should buy one in all my calibers
Be safe, Shoot safe, Den S
So tell me again how Trump was worse then the 8 years before, and the years after him !

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 11:08:52 AM »
Wel when you put it like that. I'll see about doing it, and working out a place to do it. Not sure re-loading at my desk (It's L shaped and 12 feet long up the ell and 10 feet on the foot) in the great room with my computers would make my bride any to thrilled.  8)  And I Know better than to ask for the guest room or my daughters old room.  :D

Offline DenStinett

• HALT, Who goes there?
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2011, 08:32:11 PM »
GW:
That’s the spirit
I started out loading on the floor in front of the TV
A piece of newspaper and my block of oak was my loading bench for years
It really doesn’t have to be that extravagant
As long as you keep track of where you’re at in the loading process, the LEE Loader is almost fool proof…ALMOST
Be safe, Shoot safe, Den S

jack76590

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2011, 09:24:19 AM »
Anyone, tried Precision Delta jacket pistol bullets? Price is very competitive with plated bullets. Was wondering about the experience of others, I have yet to try.

http://www.precisiondelta.com/index.php

Cavedweller

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2011, 05:45:18 PM »
I am a newbe at reloading, but since I retired I thought it would be fun to re-load. I was going to set-up in the garage, but my wife thought it might get too humid in the summer so she suggested setting up in the laundry room. I didn't give her a chance to retract her words and we went to work cleaning out the laundry room for my reloading desk. I have an sp-01 tactical 9mm and have had a blast :cheesy: re-loading. I bought everything in bulk, which might have been a mistake as it will probably be a long time before I use up the 8# of HP38 I bought and there are probably better powders out there, but I think this will be good enough for me. I have only re-loaded about 900 rds so far and 8# will load over 11000 rds. This is a picture of my reloading station. (after I cleaned it up a bit :rolleyes: )

« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 05:53:24 PM by Cavedweller »