Author Topic: CZ75 grips on a Witness...  (Read 7055 times)

katmol

CZ75 grips on a Witness...
« on: November 20, 2012, 12:32:00 AM »
Hello,
 I just bought a new EAA Witness. It's the model #999175 9mm/.22lr combo. Full size steel frame. It will ba a couple of month before I get it and I already looking at doing some minor upgrades. Will the grips from a CZ75 fit this Witness?
Thanks...

kneelingatlas

Re: CZ75 grips on a Witness...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:09:58 PM »
So I take it your new Witness looks like this?:

I know you said it's a "Full size steel frame" but Tanfoglios can be a little confusing in that there are compacts, full size and long slide models, but that's not the end of the story; each of those different barrel/side lengths is (or once was) made in two different frame sizes: large and small.  The CZ75 is a small frame pistol, it is available in .22, 9mm and .40 as was the first Italian clone made by Tanfoglio, but at some point, they adapted the same design to accept longer rounds (.38 super, 10mm, .45 acp).  To do this, they stretched the grip in one direction to accept longer rounds, and in the other to widen the double stack increase the number of rounds the magazine could hold, these are called large frame models.  These pistols actually share magazines with the CZ97 (although the CZ retains the hammer spring down the back of the grip, resulting in a larger grip).

At first it was easy, the 40s and 9s were small frame and .38 super, 10mm and .45 were large frame with .22 conversions for both frame sizes, but in 2005 EAA started importing all calibers in large frame, at which point each pistol could be converted to any of the calibers available.  Then to further complicate things, EAA introduced the Witness Classic line of small frame pistols in 9mm and .40.

If you have a .38 super, 10mm or .45, you have a large frame pistol, but if you have a 9mm or .40, it could be either (certain models available today, EAA can't promise you one way or the other which size frame you'll get).  The one in the picture above looks like a large frame to me, but I could be wrong. :huh:   Your .22 slide should actually have small or large frame written on the side of it.

The good news for you is that the Hogue Monogrip for the CZ 75 can be fit to either!  I have done both large frame:

and small frame:

The small frame goes on without any problem, but the large frame needs to be ground down on the inside/back of the mag well so the mags will drop free.  The grip will also need to be stretched over the front of the frame; there are many methods floating around the internet, but I like mine the best for obvious reasons:  just oil the grip inside the finger grooves, start the screw on one side, grip it, twist it, and get a buddy to screw in the other side (I've done it solo, but the extra hand helps a lot).

Good luck with the new gun.

katmol

Re: CZ75 grips on a Witness...
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 04:28:04 PM »
Hey Kneelingatlas,
 That helps some. I won't actually have the gun for a couple of month. I put a deposit on one with a dealer that's been very good at getting me hard to find guns. EAA said they will be shipping in 60 to 90 days, I hoping sooner! It should look like the combo you have pictured. The Houge grips look good but I'm hoping to get a set on woods for it. The ones EEA sells are $85 a pop! :shocked: So I'm just fishing for some a little less expensive.
Thanks.