Author Topic: Compact .45?  (Read 4703 times)

nebeel

Compact .45?
« on: August 26, 2012, 08:39:45 PM »
Hey everyone, just joined and thought I would post this question here in hopes that some of you would have input.  I have posted in another forum, but unfortunately, not many people have experience with this firearm (or so it seems).

Been looking at finding a .45 suitable for regular carry use for a while now but still haven't landed on anything that I really like yet.

I've been looking a bit at the EAA Witness .45 Compact, but have heard there have been some issues with the slide cracking. Does anyone know if this is a common thing or if it has been resolved?  I definitely want to stay with something hammer fired DA/SA since this is what I'm comfortable and familiar with so that rules out the very popular 1911 officer model. 

Is there anything else that I should be looking at that would be roughly in the same price range?

b5.5dan

Re: Compact .45?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 03:54:42 PM »
It has happened, but it doesn't happen often. I had one (just sold it) that probably had 10k rounds though it, and it was one with a ported slide. Not a single problem. That said, if I were to get one I would get an upgraded Wolff spring (probably an 18-20-pounder) and call it good. They are awesome pistols, they feel great, and they work wonderfully.

Hobbit112

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2012, 12:32:17 AM »
Recently picked a .45 Compact in Wonder finish, ported also.  An older model, from 1997 from the stamp code.  Got it our of Pennsylvania via Gunbroker.com.  Don't know the round count through it.  No cracking apparent on purchase.

First thing I did was install a Wolff 18 lb. spring as the original one seemed weak.  Reduced felt recoil.  I just found a CZ 75/85 recoil buffer(small rubber?/plastic? item) from Buffer Technologies that's also supposed to reduce felt recoil.  Installed, but haven't fired it since installation.  Supposedly good for 1,000 to 2,000 rounds.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 12:34:46 AM by Hobbit112 »

kneelingatlas

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2012, 05:38:14 PM »
Hey everyone, just joined and thought I would post this question here in hopes that some of you would have input.  I have posted in another forum, but unfortunately, not many people have experience with this firearm (or so it seems).

Been looking at finding a .45 suitable for regular carry use for a while now but still haven't landed on anything that I really like yet.

I've been looking a bit at the EAA Witness .45 Compact, but have heard there have been some issues with the slide cracking. Does anyone know if this is a common thing or if it has been resolved?  I definitely want to stay with something hammer fired DA/SA since this is what I'm comfortable and familiar with so that rules out the very popular 1911 officer model. 

Is there anything else that I should be looking at that would be roughly in the same price range?

Witness is a fantastic gun, I would highly recommend it.  I too have seen cracked slides on the internet; that the blessing and the curse of this fangled thing:  a statistically insignificant defect can damage a reputation because you hear one thing about a cracked Witness slide, do a Google search and it seems like they're everywhere!  If it cracks, they'll give you an new one, it's not that big a deal in my opinion.

If you don't mind my curiosity, why do you want to carry a .45?

Viking

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »
I was checking out these pistols too. EAA imports the .45 witness from Tanfoglio in both a steel and polymer frame. Looks quite like the CZ P-07. The CZ-97 is just too big. I'd like to see the 07 in 45. Does anyone have any experience with the EAA compact polymer 45?
I like CZ's , Walthers and Steyrs I wish they'd all make thier guns in the good old .45 ACP. Do you think they'd sell or am I just being to American? :grin:

Viking

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:09:29 PM »
From what I'm hearing the witness went from a square slide to a lighter rounded slide in an attempt to make the gun lighter. The cracking problems occur with the newer models with the lighter slide.
It seems most of this happened around the time of the design change. I know people with this gun who have had no problems so I think Tofoglio may have solved that problem. I also heard of the wonder finish chipping. Some people claim it's from carrying in a holster, Some claim this won't happen if you keep the exterier of the gun well oiled.