Author Topic: Decision 527 versus 557  (Read 3648 times)

Offline Andrew Biazis

Decision 527 versus 557
« on: October 03, 2020, 10:30:34 AM »
I would be using this rifle for the range for target shooting mostly up to 100 yards. Which would be better suited. I am a beginner. Also what scope spec would you recommend? Thanks for any information in advance.

Offline jkingrph

Re: Decision 527 versus 557
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2020, 08:02:43 PM »
The 527 is a micro Mauser  for the smaller shorter cartridges such as .22 Hornet through the .223 and 7.62x39.  It has a detachable single stack magazine that hangs down in front of the trigger guard and does not make for the easiest carrying  as it is right about the balance point.  I have two, one in .22 Hornet and the other in 6.5 Grendel and aside from that one fault love them.  The cartridges offered in it are all mild recoiling, especially off a bench for target shooting.   The 557 is a larger longer action, I know is available in calibers up to at least the 30-06, which will make for a harder recoiling rifle. 

They do make the 527 in  a varmint and a thumbhole model.  For what you are suggesting I would probably go for the varmint model  in somethng like .223 or 6.5 Grendel, and think I would go the Grendel route, ammo a bit more expensive, but if you want to get into some longer range shooting it is more capable.   

Scopes,  I tend to like the mid grade Leupold series now such as the VX 3 series, probably in a 6-24x for the range you are talking about.  get one with side focus and target turrets. There are a lot of good scopes out there, best bet is not to go low dollar  but get a quality scope.  There are a lot you read about that are also a lot more expensive.

Offline SD 6.5 Grendel

Re: Decision 527 versus 557
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2021, 07:07:29 PM »
As a beginner you may even wish to consider a rimfire for the range you are talking. Good luck on finding much of anything lately. Id consider A CZ 527 in 17 Hornady Hornet if low recoil appeals to you & ammo tends to more affordable. Next consideration may be a 223 W ammo availability in mind Still good luck in todays markets.

If deer hunting would be on your list then Id lean to the 6.5 Grendel. My opinion is very high of the CZ 527 line up. don't over look the 300 black out & 7.62 x 39 which all would do at the range you suggest. latter two really come in to play if you are considering a muzzle moderator. Not a bad Idea.

550 can be OK yet id consider it over kill especially for a beginner. .308 or 6.5 creedmore would be preferred calibers here.