Author Topic: More Dan Wesson Musings. Possible .38 Supers.  (Read 6437 times)

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

More Dan Wesson Musings. Possible .38 Supers.
« on: June 02, 2011, 10:28:08 PM »
Just coming off a cancer scare. I got the good news today. No cancer.

Makes me appreciate life, my loving Nancy and sweet little dogs-my family, my friends scattered
here in the states (like Ghost Warrior) and those around the world and the net.

It seems that the older I grow, that I like simple thinngs.

There have been a few recent threads about aging guys going back to revolvers.

Even though I've played with CZs for almost 30 years now, along with revolvers before that,
and was forced to carry .357s in the early years of my carreer.

My first real gun infatuation was with the 1911 and a Combat Commander in .45 at that.

Given the fact that with over 8 years of RAMI carry, I like pistols with short butts.

The Dan Wesson CCO has some appeal to me because of this.

There has been some talk about Dan Wesson making some .38 Supers.

The guys on the 1911 Forum's DW section say that the .38 Super feeds better than
the 9mm in 1911s.

Colt's sure have ran well since 1929!

I'd have interest in a CCO in Super as I personally don't like the way the chopped CBOBs or VBOBS
fit my hand.

The CCO is more or a rounded butt than a CBOB, or newer VBOB.

Nancy likes the CCO as well.. as the grip isn't as long as the Guardian's.

She has no problem with recoil from even 45+P approaching loads like the superb Double Tap.

A Guardian in 9mm would have milder recoil but that's the extent of it.

I just wish I had the money right now to buy one for her in any caliber..
as it would be a fun Summer gun project to do for this forum and CZ-USA.

A .45 makes more sense to me for sometimes carry.. but 100% ability for a house gun.

That big bore bullet instills a lot of confidence- if you only have the time for one or
two hasty shots in low light.

A person wouldn't have much time to grab a spare mag, so 6 or 7 big bullets like the TAC-XP
would have to suffice.

I used my carry gun, a custom 97B- in the home defense role as well for a few years before the RAMI
came along.

Carry load was the scary accurate and hard hitting Double Tap 185 grain Gold Dot, but
there are newer and somewhat superior designs available these days.

However, hers or mine, I think a lightweight Dan Wesson 1911 is a good goal to have by anyone.

Let's keep the DW ball rolling here as I'm curious to see what you guys have to say..

KEV
« Last Edit: June 02, 2011, 10:48:47 PM by CZ-RAMI-2075 »
www.CZforum.com

http://czzone.blogspot.com/

CZ GUNSTUFFS.clarkstoncz@gmail.com for any questions.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: More Dan Wesson Musings. Possible .38 Supers.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 04:41:04 PM »
    Damn it Kev! I swear just when I think I have finally seen your entire collection, you show up with another weapon as good or better than the last one. Not to mention the custom grips. You are KILLING me here out of pure jealousy!
     Oh wait! I just remembered! I just bought a Z40. I get it early next week I think. Neener neener  :laugh: it's in the six hundred serial numbers but considering CZ and Colt only ever made 800 of them I can live with the number.  :cool:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 07:06:50 PM »
I don't have that CCO or a Guardian quite yet.

No that you tell me that you bought a Z40, I wonder if you are going to fall DEEP into the well of
that SWEET DAO action.. and your Pre-Bs are going to be retired for CCW duty?

They say that the Z40 is the smoothest CZ ever made.

A gun ahead of its time really..

Given the plethora of DAO and Striker Fired guns on the market now.

Many of us think that IF Colt and CZ were to offer the Z40 today- that they would sell quite well.

I think you are very deserving of that gun my friend.

Now the big question??

Are you going to shoot it, or collect it?

I cant wait to see the pics and the holster for the thing when you decide on one
or two holsters.

High Noon should still offer CZ40B holsters.

www.CZforum.com

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 09:09:52 PM »

Well as it happens I actually found 2 one NIB which is number 190 and a used one that is in the 663. (Now the thing is for years I have said I near saw the reason for the .40 anything. Seemed then and even now that it and the 10mm along with the .557 and the .50 Cal were answers to questions never asked).

I promise you that whoever came up with that .50 at Desert Eagle and whoever they talked into actually making and then selling that monster should be committed. And the .557 is every bit as bad. Seriously find a Thompson Contender in .44 cal then load it with a 240 grain gas checked round then fire it. Now double the pain and then triple it and then you will know 2 things 1) they are freaking heavy and Loud, and 2) they hurt damn near as much to shoot as it would be to get hit with the round. Not to mention the cost per round is out of this world. I use the TC as an example because I had to use it when testing IIIA body armor. After firing it 6 times my hand hurt so much that I couldn't use it for the rest of the day. As you know a TC is a one shot steel pig competition pistol so it's not like I fired 6 shots in a row, but more like one shot every few mines.

Oh sorry drifted off topic I am sorry. Anyway as stated, I never saw the point, but when I found out one of CZ's best kept secrets I had to find one. It took a while but finally I found not 1 but 2 for sale! One used and one NIB. So it looks like in about less than a week I am going to have to buy .40 cal rounds. I cannot wait to hit the range and try it out. I hear people that own them think it is impossible to make a weapon with a sweeter action. And that isn't a customized one as such it is/was intended and made for mass market carry weapon. Why Colt backed out of the deal to make them is a mystery that I haven't unraveled yet but someone somewhere stepped on their reproductive organ when they made the decision to end the contract. Only 800 ever got produced or at least sent to the US.

Thanks for the idea about a holster for it I had NO idea where I was going to find one for it since so few were made. You really have to come over with your bride or I have to get over to see you, because we have a lot of things to shoot and then chat about. The problem is how do you explain having that many different pistols to check in at the counter without making them and the FFA and the BATF insane? Think I should check in 4 hours ahead of time instead of only the 2 hours they suggest?  :cool: :laugh:                 

« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 09:16:05 PM by GhostWarrior »

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 10:43:40 PM »
Do you think the Double Tap 150 gr. Nosler@ 1100fps would be too much for that gun?

My P-06 was a real handful to shoot with the 155 and 180, an experience- I tell you!

The Z40 is a bit heavier I believe.

I do know my 75SA with 155 Gold Dots was superbly accurate.

The CZ40B seems to like 165 grainers.

I got these in sometime after I sold my .40s and had my 10mm Witness.

You can believe that they were powerful when fired from a local guy's Glock 22.

4 boxes of Hornady's new .40 S&W FTX critical defense load went to my friend in Oregon.

I think that it's a sound choice for carry if you don't go Double Tap or Speer.

OK, back to Dan Wesson talk.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2011, 11:22:50 PM by CZ-RAMI-2075 »
www.CZforum.com

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 01:06:47 PM »
    1100 FPS is basically as close to sonic (Mach 1) as you can get without actually going over. Whether or not they do crack the sound barrier has a  lot to do with the elevation they are fired at and the thickness of the air and possibly ambient temp. So ya I am going to buy the DT's and the Horandys to see which performs better. At sea level sonic is more or less starts at 1115 fps. So that ammo is at the thresh hold and I rather doubt that it would cause the Z40 any problems at all in control or accuracy.

Sorry had to add that in case any members aren't familiar with the difference between Sub sonic and Sonic rounds.

Dan Wesson was from the very start of their existence have been Classy weapons. Workmanship, Accuracy, Balance, Every thing you could really ever want in a carry weapon if you could deal with the weight of the piece. DW's were then as now built for TOUGH and lasting use. Even of of the box they have been use in Competition's through out the US from practically the day they were first sent to dealers for sale. And at least one straight out the box when a State IDPA contest. or was it a Steel Pig shoot? I am sorry I can't remember but the point is given a  choice between a DW Revolver (Wheel Gun) and a Ruger Revolver or any other Revolver brand the only hard choice would which one to take. And I hope I never have to choice because I would end up getting shot trying to pick one or the other. But then again this is the Dan Wesson board so I really would pick the DW  :cool:

PS

The Lexicon for this varies from generation to generation and location but this is my reference for any that care.

Revolvers: are referred to as guns by myself and others, I also refer to them Wheel Guns because the Cylinder turns like a wheel to put the next round under the hammer. (it's a really old term but not as old as the term six-shooter) I think.  :grin:

Automatics: (Actually more accurately designated Semiautomatics) I either say automatic or Pistol, I tend more to using the term pistol.

Rifles: are either Rifles or Long Guns and sometimes the term is used to refer to Shotguns as well.

Shotguns: are just what they say shotguns. If you want to be more accurate about it you can add what type of Shotgun it is I.E: Single Barrel, Double Barrel. Over and Under (O/U). Pump, and or Semiautomatic. You can also refine it further by saying what Gauge (Ga.) and what type of chock it has and the length of the shell that it takes. I.E. 3", 2 3/4", 2 1/2".

Weapon: General term to cover everything and anything with the potential to be deadly. (From a piece of paper up to Howitzers (REALLY Big Guns) I am serious about the piece of paper btw, but you can google that for yourselves, There is also a really good book titled "Playing Cards As Weapons".

Most of the general population think that a gun is a gun is a gun. Every thing including shootguns and Long Guns (Rifles) gets lumped together the same way everyone refers to copiers as a "Xerox" even if it's not one. And so on. I just like to be as clear as possible to as many people as possible when I am talking about a particular Weapon.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:13:37 PM by GhostWarrior »

Offline CZ-RAMI-2075

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »
I really don't want this to turn into a ammo thread..but here goes with Dan Wesson and Z40 ammo in mind.

CZ Z40
The BARNES solid copper X bullet as loaded by Double Tap as the TAC-XP, and Cor-Bon as the DPX,
look very promising as well.

I've never shot any in .40 but love the low recoil and splendid accuracy in both 38+P and 9mm+P,
and hopefully in .380 very soon.

Even though the price is up there, it is still cheaper @ 50 rounds per box and two boxes of Cor-Bon.

I'd feel safe carrying it in a Dan Wesson 1911 or DW .357 revolver.

Caliber : .45ACP+P

Bullet : 160gr. Barnes TAC-XP Lead Free

Ballistics : 1200fps - 512 ft./lbs. - 5" 1911

and in,,

.357 Magnum 110gr Barnes TAC-XP Lead Free

Velocity: 1640fps / 4" Ruger GP-100
1470fps / 1 7/8" S&W
1810fps / 6"bbl S&W 686

Bullet: 110gr Barnes TAC-XP

Muzzle Energy: 657 ft. lbs. 4"bbl.

(My LCR loves the 110 grain 38+P load. As do others guy's guns that I've read about)

The DPX has a good track record for stopping power among those depts and ccw holders who have used it.

No data yet on the Double Tap, but it should perform the same.

Deep driving, and rapid energy dump and expansion. Are some of the terms used for the Barnes design.

DT:
"This is an excellent choice for CCW. Expands to .83" and penetrates 13.75" in 10% gelatin. Very little muzzle flash and impressive ballistics give you an edge in personal protection.

Caliber : .40 S&W

Bullet : 140gr. Barnes TAC-XP

Ballistics : 140gr. @ 1240fps / 478 ft/lbs- Glock 23 (4.0"bbl)

1170fps 426 ft/lbs from a 3.5"bbl.

1285fps 513 ft/lbs from a 4.5"bbl.

I also like the fact that the DT Ammo is very low flash. That's a big concern for night engagements like in my dark hallway,
or the Wal-Mart back 40 parking lot full of hoodlums.

I really have a hard time choosing between the FTX or the Barnes X bullets as the most advanced for stopping power, but DT has to win becuase I've only shot about 700 rounds of FTX from Hornady in 9mm and .380 so far.

Both have been on the original CZF and the CZ-ZONE for years now.

Customer service is better from Double Tap, and I've shot quite a bit more in many calibers and load configurations over the years since:

A. Becoming a fan, first on Glock Talk, where Mike offered his 10mm wisdom.

B. The forming of DT, and you know that I'm a big fan of gun industry small businesses with superb products
and the the customer service behind them as well.

And yes..DT AMMO runs superbly through Dan Wessons:).

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/blog/
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 03:43:18 PM by CZ-RAMI-2075 »
www.CZforum.com