Author Topic: shooting alone vs with partner  (Read 11097 times)

Offline Thechef1

shooting alone vs with partner
« on: December 07, 2016, 02:52:48 PM »
Interested to see how other people feel about training at the range by themselves vs with a shooting buddy or two. Im fortunate to live in an area where I can train by myself if I want to or can have a bay to share with a couple of partners. I used to shoot alone pretty often but have been shooting with a friend lately, problem is I feel sometimes having someone else can be distracting and less disciplined. We either start to shoot the shit or just start wasting ammo and tie on nonsense shooting vs actual drills. At the same time it can be beneficial to have someone else to compete against especially since we are of similar skill. So how do you guys like to train. BTW I am referring to competition shooting.

Offline CatsEye

• Music City Tactical Shooters
Re: shooting alone vs with partner
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 04:33:26 PM »
I think both can be beneficial is done right.  When either turns into "nonsense shooting" you are indeed just wasting ammo.  Having a buddy is great if you have similar goals for the session and can critique and coach each other.  It sounds like you and your buddy just need to get on the same page as to what your shooting/training goals are.
Speed without accuracy is wasted ammo.
Accuracy without speed is wasted time.
ToddG

Leo

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 09:00:56 PM »
Do both.  Trying to improve while doing it with a training partner only works if you guys are focused on that task.  Keep it simple and keep the group size small. I have been to a lot of "training sessions" where the invitees invited others and it turned into a huge "show off" session. It was a waste of time and resources. Going by yourself is also beneficial because it allows you to experience things without any stress of judgement.  You won't worry about what the other guy is thinking and will allow you to try things you probably would not do with a partner.

Offline Orlandochuck

• CZFORUM.COM SHOOTING TEAM MEMBER
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:13:08 AM »
I shoot local matches pretty much every weekend, so I don't actually train as often as I should. However, when I train, I train with a purpose in mind. In fact I write down what I want to work on and the drills that serve that purpose. When I get to the range, I already know exactly what I'm going to work on, so I am laser focused. I try to make every round count. The few times I have trained with a friend, I have been distracted from my game plan. Now I pretty much train alone so I can do what I came to do.
CZ 75 Shadow
IDPA Sharpshooter
USPSA
CZForum.com team member

Offline slingshots

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 01:04:40 PM »
Agree with Leo, do both. Think of when lifting weights and the role of a spotter. While you may not "need" them for much, it the critical component for improvement. With live fire practice, it helps to have someone in the know to be able to spot even minor opportunities for improvement you might not otherwise see because you are the one shooting, and that which you may miss from match video because of where the camera is positioned. My $0.02 anyway.

Offline Dvrdwn72

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 05:41:06 PM »
I am fortunately in a good position as far as having a place to shoot.
Having a 6 action bays to use whenever I need. With that said it's nice to have someone that's close to your level to train with, that buddy also pushes you and helps correct any flaws you may have developed.

Offline slingshots

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 10:57:53 AM »
I agree with the thoughts about both. When you're training with someone who is at of above your skill level, they have the context of what you skill(s) you are executing and are in a position to see small nuances otherwise unavailable from things like third person video. It's those small things spotted real-time that are gold for when it comes to what's needed to improve. Plus having a partner makes for faster pasting, set-up, etc. that enables you to shoot with less down time between strings, furthering your learning because you more readily recall what your mental experience was from one string to the next. Shooting alone has it's value as well when you are working a specific skill, know the mechanics you are trying to perfect, and don't have the "distraction" of having to interact with someone else during that time. My $0.02 anyway.

Offline frgood

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 04:28:45 PM »
I agree with the thoughts about both. When you're training with someone who is at of above your skill level, they have the context of what you skill(s) you are executing and are in a position to see small nuances otherwise unavailable from things like third person video. It's those small things spotted real-time that are gold for when it comes to what's needed to improve. Plus having a partner makes for faster pasting, set-up, etc. that enables you to shoot with less down time between strings, furthering your learning because you more readily recall what your mental experience was from one string to the next. Shooting alone has it's value as well when you are working a specific skill, know the mechanics you are trying to perfect, and don't have the "distraction" of having to interact with someone else during that time. My $0.02 anyway.

I fully agree. It is invaluable to me to have an outside educated eye point out issues. Also, the friend dynamic can provide a little impetus to drive harder during your drills. YOu can then walk away with an improved guide for private training/ drills.

Offline J Mercurio

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 10:04:48 PM »
Depending on what I am working on, I can easily practice on my own and be effective.  However, I like training with a partner who will not only push me but will watch me and provide feedback.

Offline IDPASUX

• #makereadyretard
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2018, 05:20:54 PM »
Typically, I go out with a buddy who is at my level. Mostly we do that because the range has a two person requirement. But we have helped each other out. If he's not there, I will take video of my practice runs to take back home and analyze. That's been really effective for me.