Author Topic: I really messed it up this time...  (Read 15070 times)

Offline sirgilligan

I really messed it up this time...
« on: February 27, 2012, 06:28:36 PM »
So, some of you know I sprained my hand two weeks ago. Well, it just isn't getting better. Yesterday it started hurting worse. So, I went to the Doctor.

Anyone notice something wrong with one of the bones?

Seeing surgeon on Wednesday.

I hate the thought of it.

But hey, that is the nastiest sprain you can get.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: I really messed it up this time...
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 08:54:48 PM »
Sprain?!! :shocked:
                     Ya right, if that's just a sprain then I'm Charlie Daniels. Unless you broke your little finger in 2 or 3 places and never got it fixed? It looks like 1 compound fracture, and one green stick break, let us know how many pins they use to fix that. And good thing you are going to see the Doc tomorrow, cause since you did it 2 weeks ago, those breaks have allready started healing.

:laugh: Nice pics BTW. I love a good x-ray. Oh and now that I think about it I think that's referred to as shattering your finger, more than just a break. And if that had gone longer without being looked at they may not have been able to fix it. At the least they would have had to re-break the bone and realign them. You should see some of my x-rays. Especially the one of my heel.  :grin: And the one of my thumb  :cool: , but yours is right up there with them. Nice job, very well done. Nice to know some folks just don't do things half way.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 09:05:02 PM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 09:07:46 PM »
I guess me and you have the same luck.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2012, 09:22:06 AM »
            Well just get better soon Sir. Let us know what the good doc has to say. I swear it looks broken but I'm not a Doc, but it sure as heck looks broken and not just a little bit. Hey here's an Idea. If it is broken like I think, want to bet on how many pins or screws they use to put it back together with? Won't even set off Airport Metal detectors, Non Ferrous, Shiny!  :cool:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2012, 10:26:39 AM »
It is broken. He called it a complex fracture of the fifth metatarsel. Similar to a boxer's fracture.

The idea of a pin in my hand is unsettling. Next thing you know I will be saying I am Locutus.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 10:28:30 AM »
So, Doc said we can do nothing but he said the point of the fracture at the top could cause tendon and nerve issues later on. The finger is twisted too and rolls slightly under the finger next to it when I make a fist.

Or, he said a plate and some screws (three I think) and if the plate bothers me he will take it out in a year.

So, Friday I will do the plate and screws.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2012, 03:41:41 PM »
            Do the plate and screws!

Get an extra set of x-rays, (see if they can made them in a much smaller size copy,) and the you can tell everyone about it and show off the x-rays, really great conversation starters. I did it when I got my foot fixed and they let me go back to work. But I sorta had a captive audience since if they wanted me to fix their computers they had to check out the X-rays :angel: I even got a couple date offers but I couldn't get them to let me bring my wife, or her to let me go alone.  :tongue:

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 05:17:28 PM »
Out of surgery. Bone broke in 5 places. 9 screws total.  Sleepy now.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:45:57 PM »
             Wow I only saw 3 and a small fracture. Nice job there buddy! well done!  :laugh: and if your anaesthesia was anything like mine I bet you are sleepy, see you in about 2 days.  :laugh: Should have bet on how many screws or pins. dang! You didn't mention a plate, I'm guessing there was really no way to place it and still use the finger?

bre346

« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 11:19:02 AM »
Lord, ha'mercy what a thread. Yeah, I saw  a bad twisty break of that finger. The doc must have had a time unwinding the bone. Ya hadn't orta waited so long. I'm glad you got it fixed. Now, behave 'til it heals.
God bless.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 11:56:41 AM »

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 12:25:35 PM »
                WOW! That's just ............wow! the first screw looks like a sheet metal screw and the last thing looks like one of those old bend over brass paper clips like for folder of Manila envelopes or one weird cotter pin. Did they run out of parts during the operation and have to take a screw  out of a piece of equipment?  :laugh: The plate looks like it may do a pretty good job of noticing weather chances.  :angel:

OK fun's over, sorry about you getting hurt and especially that badly, get better soon, just don't take any chances, and leave the Basketball pick up games to the youngsters

bre346

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:36 PM »
Sir Gilligan,

Fantastic photo. It looks like a permanent fix.

Take care, man

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 03:50:11 PM »
Sir Gilligan
You must weigh a half a pound more with all of the hardware.  Is that your right or left hand?   

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19:36 PM »
Left hand, I am right handed.

To all, thanks for the messages.