Author Topic: CZ P-07 vs STI GP5 / Grand Power P1  (Read 8118 times)

Firewire

CZ P-07 vs STI GP5 / Grand Power P1
« on: December 08, 2011, 06:29:52 PM »
Did anyone consider an STI GP5 (Grand Power P1) when looking at the CZ P-07.  The price of the CZ is $200 less.  Price aside, I would be interested in a comparison.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 06:55:08 PM by Firewire »

b5.5dan

Re: CZ P-07 vs STI GP5 / Grand Power P1
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2011, 11:51:29 PM »
I don't know... I am a CZ fan, so my choice is made right there. The fiber optic sight on that other one is kinda cool, but it looks, well, cheap. Pictures don't always do pistols justice (unless they are my pics  :grin: ), but still...

Anyway, I guess my recommendation comes with a heady dose of "CZs will always be superior", so take that for what it's worth.
Welcome to the CZ Forum!

b5.5dan

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 12:06:02 AM »
Hold on. One thing you may come to notice about me is that after a week of dealing with teenagers in an alternative education setting, I loose a little bit of horsepower in the brain pan. That's not the same "STI" as the $4k race guns, is it? I guess I should look into that myself...

Ah, I see it is... Well, in that case, I suppose you couldn't go wrong with it... Nevertheless...  :cheesy:

Firewire

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2011, 12:14:53 AM »
Same company yes, but they are importing these polymers.  It has a tilt barrel design.  A fiber optic front sight for the CZ can be bought for $35. 

I really prefer the price point of the CZ, but have had STI 1911's before and those were outstanding.  So I was curious if anyone had compared them in person and at the range.

I've only seen and held the P07 and really liked it, just haven't owned a CZ before.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 12:17:15 AM by Firewire »

b5.5dan

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2011, 12:30:01 AM »
Yeah... I'm a teacher, so I will never be able to afford an STI...  :cheesy: As I have said before, I know that my opinion is biased, but you WILL NOT be disappointed with a CZ. I own poly and steel CZs (will own an alloy framed here in 16 days!), and you just can't go wrong. You mentioned the frame bulge, I think. That is something that may or may not happen. I got the impression that that happens with the .40 S&W and not the 9mm Para, but I could be wrong. I almost got the P-07 instead of the SP-01, but I have been lusting after an SP-01 for a while now. The P-07 will be next, unless I get the 412 Utility, but don't get me started there.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I've been teaching all week... But if you can get a P-07 for ~$410 and save $220+, I think you will love it. The P-07 will not compare to an STI Race 1911, but I WOULD put my 75B up against someone with my skill set against an STI race gun. If STI is only importing these but not putting the same care into them that they do their 1911s, then it's just like a Glock with a designer tag. The CZ comes with nearly 100 years of history, innovation, and small arms mastery behind it, along with some of the BEST customer support and aftermarket custom work there is. And finally, consider that the P-07 is the chosen duty sidearm of more than a couple police forces, government protection agencies (Think European Secret Services), and special operations agencies. They are tried, tested, and approved, and will do you proud!

Ok. I'll stop wasting your bandwidth now...  :laugh:

Firewire

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2011, 09:16:44 AM »
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply in length!

I do prefer the 9mm so the bulge so be no issue.  I have several Academy Sports stores near by and can get the P-07 for $399 + tax.  I also found Cheaperthandirt.com has them for $388 plus shipping and FFL. 

b5.5dan

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2011, 10:32:20 AM »
420ish shipped with ffl is a great price. The one locally with no shipping may be cheaper. Good luck with whichever you choose!

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »
           First off  for what it's worth Jeff Cooper was one of the best shooters in the known universe, He lived breath and I wouldn't be surprised if slept with them. But one day he was given a CZ 75 to shoot and evaluate. After he had used he he stated not only publicly but in writing that the CZ 75 was the best  pistol in the world he had ever used. The man wrote more article, books and papers about the 1911 than any other writer at the time, that I am aware of. Granted the 1911 is a .45 and the CZ back then was a 9mm and Mr. Cooper never stopped using or singing the praises of his pistol of choice his beloved his 1911 .45.

Second the CZ has been the leading choice of side arms for both Police and Military on a basis of 2 to one world wide. If that's not as clear as I think, the CZ has sold more sidearms and any other 2 sidearms companies combined world wide.

Third the CZ P-01 has passed the NATO tests and is now on their approved for purchase list for their troops world wide, and it is also the only sidearm NATO has ever let be sold to the general public with it's NATO Mil Spec Numbers etched on the side.

STI makes a fine weapon, as does Springfield and their XD series. The Israeli Desert Eagle is wildly popular. But CZ still has out sold them all, Add to that the fact that CZ pistols have been in the top 5 places in every shooting sport involving them than any other weapon. Ask Angus and the CZ-USA shooting team, or check out the CZUB shooting team or just the standings in general around the world.

As you can see I may be a tad bias about CZ's but I think I made my point as to why the bias exists.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Firewire

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2011, 07:19:05 PM »
That is a pretty convincing post!

I greatly appreciate you taking the time.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2011, 09:17:06 PM »
            Well great, as long as no one notices that I was going on and on about the P-01 and not the P-07  :laugh: But basically everything still applies, except for the P-07 or any other CZ other than the CZ p-01, being NATO certified. Truthfully the P-07 has had one or 2 issues but for all intents and purposes those have been solved, and I am not only going to buy a 2011, model, but the 2012 models also, once I get things rolling along here and then try to figure out a way to get a job that will let me wear Sandles instead of shoes to work. (Crushed heel, 7 screws, etc, foot swells to much for shoes.)

What I said about Jeff Cooper and his remarks about the CZ still applies and apparently caused a certain amount of shock thoughout the shooting industry. Most folks thought he walked on water bare foot, I figured he used waders in case he hit a rogue wave. The man was nothing if not carefull, practical and a living encyclopedia on shooting.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »
rogue wave...  :laugh:
I will probably get a P-07 this year. I need to wait before I make another gun purchase haha! I loved the one I got to try though. Very nice