Author Topic: First 9mm, thinking CZ  (Read 7637 times)

nj22

First 9mm, thinking CZ
« on: October 31, 2011, 08:13:37 PM »
I'm looking for a range gun--accurate and reliable. CZ's are always at the top of that list. Unfortunately, it's difficult for me to find them in NJ, and when they're here they're expensive. Almost as much as the sig p226 I'm also considering.

So here's my question. Since I can't find a CZ to try out at the range, how does the DA/SA work? There's no decocker, right? Does that mean that the first shot is always DA? Or is there a way to make every shot SA? I'm worried that the first shot being DA will screw up my accuracy with round #2. I do know they they make an SA only version, but I'm wondering if the standard platform can be used SA only.

In all likelihood I'd go with the 85b combat, but I thought I would post this as a general info question about the platform.
Thanks!

b5.5dan

Re: First 9mm, thinking CZ
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2011, 08:40:38 PM »
Welcome to the CZ Forum! If you find a 75 (or 85) you will love it for the rest of your life. As for the SA first pull, just cock the hammer. It's a glorious SA, but you want to use snap caps for the first 200 pulls. It will make a HUGE difference. I shoot great with mine, and I'm not a great shot. Well, I'm not TOO bad, but the 75 shoots way better than I do. You won't be disappointed!

If you are looking to spend as much on a 75 as you are the Sig, I would recommend gunbroker.com or gunsamerica, or even Impact online. $499 for the pistol, $25 FFL Transfer, $20 shipping. You are still doing way better, and I would take ANY CZ ofver ANY Sig, ANY day.  :cheesy:

I'm not just saying this because I'm a CZ fanatic. THey are great pistols and they WILL outshoot the Sig if you do your part. Full Stop.

Again, welcome to CZ Forum! Great place full of awesome, kind, and knowledgeable people!

nj22

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2011, 08:51:32 PM »
Thanks for the info!
The problem with buying from out of state is that the mag for the cz is 16 rds. Jersey has a 15 round limit. So the broker has to swap the mag to a 10rd before shipping.
I'm also a little concerned about the trigger. I hear they are creaky compared to the sig. But I should do a more thorough search of this site for trigger info I suppose.

b5.5dan

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2011, 08:55:51 PM »
No! Darn it! Move to Utah with me! haha!
Seriously though, Impact has a 10-rounder (if not now, then they will within days. I'll check), and I believe it is only $10 more (Kalifornia Tax, so to speak). It shouldn't be difficult, and any gun broker worth a box of .22lr should have something in place to deal with reduced capacity restrictions.

Here's a 75 Compact...
http://www.impactguns.com/cz-75-d-pcr-compact-cal-9-mm-luger-alloy-frame-decocker-black-polycoat-14-rd-mags-01194.aspxI know it's not what you're looking for, but it's a start. I will keep my eyes open!

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 09:06:40 PM »
I've shot just about every pistol on the market. Here's my "top 5" list:

1. CZ(SP-01, P-06, 75B in that order)
2. Springfield XD
3. Beretta 92F-FS
4. Sig
5. Glock (Gag!)

Those are all good guns, CZ is the best, springfield won over beretta because of the capacity and it just points more naturally, the beretta is more accurate at range though. The sig is great, just too expensive to be anyones first gun, and glocks, well, ick... but they work.

nj22

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 09:16:56 PM »
Thanks for the list.
In your opinion, why does the Sp-01 beat out the 75b? I've heard that the sp-o1 eats oil and has a tight recoil spring--overkill for regular rounds.
Still leaning toward the sp-o1 however. But lets say between the these two, which would you prefer: factory sp-01 or custom 75b with trigger job, hammer, and polished internals?

b5.5dan

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 09:28:34 PM »
Not that anyone is asking me, and AVM is WAAAAYYYYY more knowledgeable than I, but I prefer the 75B just for looks alone. I LOVE the SP-01 and hope to get one for Christmas or by March, but while the 01 is newer (and likely "improved"), the 75 is a classic in every sense of the word. Tac is nice enough, the rail is super-useful, increased capacity (in most states  :wink: ), etc. The SP-01 is, in all regards, bad ass. But the 75B to me, is as close to the embodiment of rapier at dawn duels-romantic-timeless as a firearm gets. Something like the 1911 is also a classic. But it screams "combat".  :wink: he 75 whispers "finely crafted lethality with Olympian-grade (think Zeus with a 9) accuracy to boot.

Megan Fox (the SP-01) is hot, and I could put her to proper use. But the 75 is Marilyn Monroe and Lauren Bacal with a little Bette Davis thrown in for good measure. Elegant. Timeless. Perfection.

I do believe I may have gotten a little carried away just there...  :laugh:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2011, 10:08:55 PM »
Meh, maybe a little. I'll say this for the 75B, its thinner and a little lighter than the Sp-01. Easier to conceal should you decide to move to a reasonable state and get a carry permit. (and you can have high cap mags. Not that you couldn't just carry a bag full of 10 rounders and keep reloading. Who are they kidding? yes... themselves.)

As far as a factory SP-01 over a tuned 75B, well, IDK about that. I know that after some rounds down range, the SP-01 will polish itself out. And as far as eating oil, mine doesn't, and I've shot it in the sand, mud, rain, ect in competitions and its never failed me once. (even in the rain I never oiled it, but I hosed it out after the competition. lol)The replacement springs for the SP-01 are cheap as hell and fix the "slide slap" of the factory recoil spring and the hard pulling main/hammer spring. 11lb recoil and 13lb hammer is what I'd recommend and you can get those for I think $12 after shipping. If you want something sleek and sexy that will make people pee themselves, then get the 75B, but if you like beefy, tactical, steel toe kodiak grip workboot kick to the face, and make people poop themselves in fear, then go for the SP-01. Thats my 2 cents.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2011, 10:41:37 PM »
       Frankly there is not a thing I could add to either of them, Dan is a teacher so he do wax poetic now and again. AVM well he don mince words none, Me, well I told you, I have both of them pistols, actually a couple each of those 2, (OK OK gees so it's more like 4 or 5 of both.), anyway the point is 2 of the SP-01 are CZCustom shadow Competition models straight from the loving hands of the Gunsmiths at CZCustom. And the 75 and the 75B are all straight out the box as are for the most part the other SP-01's One had some work done on it.

Put it this way, you want a pistol for carry and Competition and built like a tank and handles like a Shelby Mustang then the SP-01 is the way to go. Or if you want something that easy on the eyes, easier to carry all day, and still shoot the whiskers off a Gator at range, and while we are on the word range, the 75 or 75 B are better for a full day or plinking. Lighter and maybe a tad less aggressive, and slightly more comfortable to carry as it lans some of the SP-01 boxey edges.
          Then again if you want everyone on the range to come see what the heck you are shooting, then I would go with the CZ 52, More or less a necked down 30 cal with a serious attitude. And still a tack driver after all the years they have been out and about.

Oh well so much for not much to add,  :laugh: oops
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

nj22

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »
" but if you like beefy, tactical, steel toe kodiak grip workboot kick to the face, and make people poop themselves in fear"
See, I kind of get that vibe from the sig p226.

Around here CZs are few and far between. Sigs are everywhere. I like the look of the 75b in person, but can't seem to find a sp-01 anywhere--and definitely not one to rent at a range. Plus, once I get one, not too many gunsmiths do regular work on them. If I hate the trigger I'm stuck mailing it out or hoping the local guy knows what he's doing.

I guess I'll keep looking for the sp-01 in person. Until I get one in hand it's going to be hard to decide.

Logan

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:55:44 AM »
I ended up going with the CZ75B over the SP-01 partly because of the looks, partly because of the weight (though honestly at that point there isn't much difference). The SP-01 was high on the list though, I just couldn't find any to handle.

The way CZ has done the DA/SA trigger is the best way to do it in my opinion. You can indeed shoot with first shot DA and all subsequent SA, and if you ever have to pull it for self-defense, I imagine that the difference really isn't going to matter as you'll just be pulling the trigger as fast and hard as you can.

But it also gives the ability to carry it cocked and locked, and I like the SA pull so much I decided to train myself that way. It has a nice, wide safety lever that is very comfortable and easy to hit. The decocker model doesn't allow cocked and locked of course.

It's been a very nice pistol. I truly enjoy shooting it and look forward to each outing to the range.

nj22

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:59:07 AM »
I actually decided to go with the 85b. I shoot lefty, and the 85 was my original plan. Couldn't get my hands on an SP01, but I really like the looks and feel of the classic 75. So far it's eating everything I feed it and is super accurate. Very pleasant to shoot at the range as well. I tried some poly 9mm, and the recoil is just night and day in steel.

Offline sirgilligan

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 04:09:02 PM »
Congratulations on the CZ 85B.

Post some photos of targets and range results if you want. I love to see that kind of stuff.

b5.5dan

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 06:16:16 PM »
Congrats on the 85. Very nice weapons. I'll get one some day. Next on my list is the SP-01. You will find that the 85 WILL eat anything you run through her. I have had every wepon I've ever owned choke on Blazer Brass, but my CZs eat that crap up!

Also, I'd like to see some range pictures. Either here or in the picture forum. Maybe both! Have fun and shoot safe!

nj22

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 08:10:58 PM »
I'll see what I can do. Planning to hit the range again this week. But if the bullets don't go where I tell them the pictures might accidentally disappear from my phone...