Author Topic: difference in 2017 527 Carbine ?  (Read 5236 times)

Offline Old-Duckman

difference in 2017 527 Carbine ?
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
Was just on CZ USA site and pulled up the 527 parts list and clicked on "stock". I have the youth carbine and wouldn't mind having an adult stock to go along with it too.

Well they have a carbine stock but it says "STOCK 527 CARBINE 2017 NEWER". The pre 2017 stock is sold out.

Just wondering what changed. Did the barreled action change or just stock dimensions ?

I am assuming that it was a change to the barreled action but don't know what that might have been.

Offline david

Re: difference in 2017 527 Carbine ?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2018, 05:12:12 PM »
On the older CZ 527 rifles with fixed sights the barrel has a buttress where the rear sight dovetail is cut. This part of the barrel is slightly wider than the rest of the barrel.  The newer 527 rifles use a screw on rear sight with no need for the barrel buttress. The older stock has a relief cut where the rear sight sits. I dont know if the newer barrel has the same overall profile as the older barrels but if they do have the same profiles cutting the barrel buttress relief wouldn't be all that hard. The relief is only about 5/8 inch long and less than an 1/8 inch wide on each side. Its not unusual to have to relive these cuts slightly when bedding the older barreled actions. Just careful use of a scraper. Good luck in your quest.

Offline Old-Duckman

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2018, 05:22:46 PM »
On the older CZ 527 rifles with fixed sights the barrel has a buttress where the rear sight dovetail is cut. This part of the barrel is slightly wider than the rest of the barrel.  The newer 527 rifles use a screw on rear sight with no need for the barrel buttress. The older stock has a relief cut where the rear sight sits. I dont know if the newer barrel has the same overall profile as the older barrels but if they do have the same profiles cutting the barrel buttress relief wouldn't be all that hard. The relief is only about 5/8 inch long and less than an 1/8 inch wide on each side. Its not unusual to have to relive these cuts slightly when bedding the older barreled actions. Just careful use of a scraper. Good luck in your quest.

Thanks much David. That makes sense I know exactly what you are talking about, in fact I like that detail in the barrel and am glad I have the older version. I would have no problem inletting the barrel into the stock w/o that relief, I've done my share of inletting in my time. But, as you said, the newer version of the barrel would, hopefully, have the same profile/taper as the older models.

Thanks again !

Offline david

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 03:18:36 PM »
A call or E-Mail to CZ customer service couldn't hurt. Nothing to lose by asking. Good Luck

Offline Thisisdenny

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 10:21:01 PM »
If you still have your youth stock I have a standard carbine stock I’d be willing to trade you.

If you already found a replacement stock I’d also be willing to buy your youth stock if you still have it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2019, 11:25:41 AM by Thisisdenny »