Author Topic: Cleaning  (Read 14412 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Cleaning
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 11:34:06 AM »
   If PETA ever sees that pic they ever figure out who you are and where you live, they will be over in a shot, Wanting to try some beer feed goat, expecially if it's BBQ'd or cooked on an open flame.  :laugh:
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »
Hey is this the first page 3 we have ever done? I don't want AngryVikingMan killing my buzz because I got it wrong :laugh: ..............again. :tongue:

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 11:42:23 AM »
   If PETA ever sees that pic they ever figure out who you are and where you live, they will be over in a shot, Wanting to try some beer feed goat, expecially if it's BBQ'd or cooked on an open flame.  :laugh:
PETA.... Ugh...  :rolleyes:
Seriously though, I'm surprised no one has taken issue with that in this day and age. But back to the topic at hand, I'm interested in the mercury. I know it's bad, dangerous stuff, but if it will dissolve lead, it seems like there must be something "more advanced" out there that I could use to try and get my bore back. Granted, it's a 70 year old rifle which may well have been fired at Nazis in the Big One, and has probably seen thousands of rounds of corrosive ammo, but still. I'd like to be able to use it for another 50 years or so.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 12:38:42 PM »
Wait! why did you say ugh?  Doesn't PETA stand for People Eating Tasty Animals? And Goat is about as tasty as it gets.  :cool: 
     And I am really sorry but I have NO idea to suggest to you as a means to remove the left over lead. Especially really OLD lead buildup. It's like the older it is the harder it gets at least on the outside, sort of like a shell. DeeDubya had this to say a couple posts down and I'm going to quote him here and then add a comment or two of my own
"Lewis lead remover is worth every penny. It consists of a short T-handle rod with a compression rubber on the end. A brass wire mesh is held in place and scrapes the lead out of the barrel as you pull it through. It works amazingly well. Sometimes only a pass or two will pull all the lead out. My Colt Python knows ole Lewis all too well." DeeDubya posted on: June 09, 2011, 04:17:22 PM .
     I have one and have had it so long the serial numbers are all in Roman Numerals. :cheesy: But that aside mine is/was only made for Pistols and wheel guns, not long guns, And it works just fine, Not sure that it's quite as easy and fast as his is but it works. oh what the heck it's surfing time so hang on a sec. well make that a lot of seconds. Apparently Brownells bought the original company and they have it. They also say they have one for cleaning rifles and shotguns. Call them first to clarify just what shotguns and or rifles they have it for.

b5.5dan

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 12:44:56 PM »
I forgot about the Good PETA. My locality is besieged with hippies who set things on fire to try and stymie the regional mink farming industry. I mean, don't get me wrong; I love hippies. As long as they are around I need never worry about shortages of soap and razors.  :laugh:

I really do try, believe it or not, to keep threads on topic. It just doesn't always work out that way. I will give Brownell's a call when I get some $. "Unfortunately", the extra I get this month is, I think, going for an 82. I also want some Red Star grips...

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 12:51:26 PM »
Sounds like a really good plan, Keep the baby Faith

Offline DeeDubya

• NRA Life Member
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 01:21:35 PM »
Well there's the electrolysis device that removes all metal fouling. Honestly, if your barrel is washed out and/or pitted there's not much you can do but get a new barrel.  :sad:
DW
CRA / NRA  Protect Your Rights
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
~ James D. Miles

b5.5dan

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 01:32:15 PM »
Meh. It's a 43 round receiver Nagant. I paid $129 for it and the rifling is good and it's more accurate than i am. A shiny bore would be nice, but it will still probably be around long enough to go to my 6 year old when he grows up

Offline Majin

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2011, 04:14:45 AM »
I clean my Shadow with STP Engine degreaser, except for the Fiber Op.. then wipe dry.
Use Castor Edge as oil.
But I use hoppes for the bore to be sure lead etc. will be removed

MrWright

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2011, 01:36:53 AM »
For around $100 you can get a Hornady sonic gun and brass cleaner.  That will get into every area really well.  It looks lake a fryer but it's great for the 1000 round cleaning.  The bore snake works great for the everyday cleanings.

Has anyone tried Militec1?  It is supposed to impregnate the metal and lubricate much longer. 

b5.5dan

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2011, 01:41:16 AM »
Haven't tried the militec, but I love the bore snake. I own several. And since don't reload, I guess this thread isnt really for me :laugh:

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2011, 06:36:34 AM »
But back to the topic at hand, I'm interested in the mercury. I know it's bad, dangerous stuff, but if it will dissolve lead, it seems like there must be something "more advanced" out there that I could use to try and get my bore back.
BENZENE is a little more advanced and probably more dangerious, but it will disolve lead too.

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #42 on: December 11, 2011, 09:05:56 AM »
Thats why I use jacketed bullets. Going to start reloading at the first of the year. Going to try to do production level manufacturing with a type 6 FFL. GW, I'll be sending you some bullets to chrono for me. (Probably bout 500 or so) Going to try and set a price point of $8.50 per 50, depends on our wholesaler.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: December 11, 2011, 09:07:19 AM »
Done and Done

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #44 on: December 11, 2011, 09:28:38 AM »
Going to start with a Lee Load master, then get a Dillon XL650 about 5 months down the road. It can produce 1,000 rounds per hour. Then I'll have 2 machines. :D If anyone has any used ones for sale I'd be interested in them.