Author Topic: Suggestions for progressive press?  (Read 11005 times)

Offline noylj

Re: Suggestions for progressive press?
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2012, 01:26:56 AM »
Re: problems with ARs jamming and not firing.
It wasn't JUST the ball powder. It was the fact the McNamara and his egg-head staff thought there would be no need to clean the new rifles and the troops weren't issued a cleaning kit.
Now, you are in combat, firing full-auto with a direct-impingment action that dumps the gasses and soot directly in the action, and NOT have a cleaning kit or been instructed how to use one, and tell me if there is any possible problem? Then you add a powder coating that basically forms a ceramic on the hot action, and you've got problems even with a cleaning kit. Thank JFK and McNamara

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »
              Oh I totally agree which is why I said one of the reasons. Another one that few actually know about is that they designed and built the original weapon. but totally forgot to have ammo made for it. So they sent .222 ammo instead of .223 and gee what do you think happens when you have the wrong ammo in a full auto? Or did some one shine me on? I do know that one I was issued even 3 years After they were sent out to select troops to field test, they were still Stove piping, FTF's. both kinds. To this day I will not own a rifle with a round seating assist plunger. I don't care what they have improved, or the ammo being "correct". If they have to add an assist then the weapon was poorly designed, and should have been scraped. Cause clearing a weapon is one of the biggest reason troops and LEO's are KIA's. If you are busy clearing your weapon or having to push the round then rest of the way into the chamber, then you aren't returning fire and become a target.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline jonnie

• NRA Patron - LifeMember
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2013, 09:48:32 PM »
I didn't see this before and am really happy to have found it. I think that a reloaders's corner (board) would be a good idea. It might not get much use but I think it would be an excellant resource because more and more of us seem to be looking at reloading as being a way to allow us to enjoy our sport more and at a better price. I have found a lot of really helpful info here in this section. 
And separating "Store bought" from Reloading seems like a good idea too.
Just my 2 cents.

If you ain't havin' fun, you ain't doin' it right!

Then or now, Welcome Home Brother!

NRA Instructor, Red Cross Instructor -  CPR/AED/Wilderness/First Aid, WA Hunter Education Instructor, Washington Trails Assoc., Int'l Hunters Education Assoc.,

kobus

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2013, 10:38:56 AM »
yes a board for re loading is a good idea.  i am a member of a few other firearm forums with dedicated ammo / reloading boards and there are lots of 'traffic' on those.

my first press was a Lee Pro 1000 which i still use occasionally. i have 'upgraded' to a Dillon RL550B that i use more.

i shoot a lot and therefore load a lot of my own ammo. re loading one's own ammo results in considerable savings that pays for the equipment very quickly.  re loading is also a fantastic hobby which allows me to shoot more.  :grin:
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 01:21:12 PM by kobus »

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2013, 11:17:39 AM »
I could be wrong, but I thought this was a dedicated ammo/reloading board

CZForum.com »
Commercial Ammunition and or Reloading-R-Us »
Ammunition
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

kobus

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2013, 01:17:56 PM »
I could be wrong, but I thought this was a dedicated ammo/reloading board

CZForum.com »
Commercial Ammunition and or Reloading-R-Us »
Ammunition

oops!  :embarrassed:

i saw this question by GhostWarrior ...

OK here's a couple of questions. ( I lied 4 questions  :laugh: ) One of the reasons that the M16 when it was issued back in 66-67 for  field testing, they had so many FTF's and jams was because they used powder that was little balls. They fixed that issue buy using extruded powder (rod like instead of ball like) and now it's 40 years later and as I am, after 30 years, going back into reloading, I see both powders sold for different purposes. The only powder I have ever used in the far past was Hurco Smokeless Shotgun Powder, for loading .38, .357's and 9mm

1) What would be the best type of powder to use, ball or rod? For 9's, Mak's, .380, 40's and 45's and also for 308 for both the 550 UCS and the Saiga?

2) any reason why 308 NATO (hotter round then the 308 Winchester and not recommend apparently for civilian sporting rifles?) would be a bad idea to use with the 550 or the Saiga?

3) And last how many rounds approximately (give or take a 100 or so) will a pound of power last for?

There are other questions, but I'm going to be ordering a couple or three reloading books, so I think I can figure the rest out.........

Also what do you folks think about my adding a Board covering reloading as a separate topic from Ammunition? Worth the effort?

maybe i misunderstood the question?

« Last Edit: January 21, 2013, 01:33:21 PM by kobus »

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2013, 03:10:24 PM »
I don't think you misunderstood the question, I think we decided to leave the reloading and ammo together as they pretty much go hand in hand.....
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2013, 10:35:05 AM »
DANG! Yes that's a great idea, and we shall do it. I have just recently gotten back into reloading and despite double and triple checking each round and having two set of Mark I eyeballs on it, somehow we got 3 squibs that scare the living beejeebers out of me. I'll talk about it later once the Board is up and I manage to get caught up with everything that has gone by the wayside, because of illness's, ya more than one and back to back, in the family or from trying to catch up with my catching up. 

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2013, 11:31:57 AM »
The squibs do make you pay attention.  Just so you stop when the gun farts instead of going bang you will be okay.  BTW a brass rod only cost $8 but the shipping cost as much.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18180&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1286&top_cat=79

kobus

« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2013, 10:56:23 AM »
8mm wooden dowel works well.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2013, 01:45:00 PM »
Got them both, actually in a couple different diameters for big barreled pistols. Most likely never use them but they are in my firearms tool box, and when I go shooting that box goes with me. I hate not being able to shoot because something went sideways and I couldn't clear it one way or the other safely. Especially considering time to range, range fee's, gas and food and drink (water mostly, never booze of any kind when shooting or cleaning, oh ya and re-loading also), going through all that trouble only to have it aborted is shall we say frustrating? :cool:

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2013, 01:56:54 PM »
The squibs do make you pay attention.  Just so you stop when the gun farts instead of going bang you will be okay.  BTW a brass rod only cost $8 but the shipping cost as much.
http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?pid=18180&step=4&showunits=inches&id=1286&top_cat=79

I think age is getting the better of me (turned 51 today).....Will have to start slowing down and paying more attention.... :laugh:
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Proud Army Dad

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
DUDE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!! AS THEY SAY LIVE AND LEARN, BUT ESPECIALLY LIVE TO LEARN

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2013, 03:42:02 PM »
Thanks!!
CZ 75B SA
CZ Rami BD 9MM
Member USPSA
Member IDPA