Author Topic: For all those that have sacrificed, and their Families  (Read 11627 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
For all those that have sacrificed, and their Families
« on: February 28, 2011, 10:56:29 AM »
       You know we talk about the 2ND Amendment, and Shooting Sports and so on, but I do not ever actually remember seeing a board dedicated to the Armed Service's personal, Currant and Retired AND Especially the POWs and MIAs, nor have I seen one for the Police, Fire, First Responders and so on that have in one way or another sacrificed a great deal, including their lives, so that we ALL, both here in the U S of A and everywhere in the world that has or is striving  towards freedom, could /can enjoy the freedoms that many of us take for granted without a second thought as to why and how we have those rights.

This entire board is Dedicated to each and every one of you, your families and friends with my profound thanks and utter respect.

Please feel free to post your Name, Rank, and Service if you wish to. And the same for friends and family that are no longer with us. This is not a Discussion topic and I will not let it become one, this is only intended as silent service/memorial for those that wish to post so that they may be recognized by all for their efforts and scarifies made.

If anyone uses this topic to do anything other say thank you, I will erase the post, and if it's in anyway derogatory or denigrates or dishonors the purpose of this topic/board, I swear by any Deity you recognize, that I will ban you and your IP Instantly and without mercy or appeal.
<a href="
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 11:03:53 AM by GhostWarrior »
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

JoeInCT

Re: For all those that have sacrificed, and their Families
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 08:36:41 PM »
GW, I wish to have recognized members of my family, some of my friends, as well as some classmates whose ultimate sacrifice I found out about by various indirect means.

My paternal grandfather, who served in the Coastal Artillery in the New England area, and who was discharged sometime after the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month of the year 1918.
My paternal grandmother's cousin, who served in the US Cavalry until being thrown, kicked in the head, and killed by his horse in 1924.
My godfather, one of my mother's four brothers, who served in the Communications Branch of the US Army Air Force in North Africa, Sicily and Italy during WW2.
My Dad, born in 1920, whose service I have described in greater detail elsewhere in the Forum, and who passed away in 1980.
My boyhood friend and Best Man who served aboard a US Navy freighter which performed UNREP (UNderway REPlenishment) duties at Yankee Station off Vietnam. I lost touch with him for several years and then heard from a mutual friend that he had fallen off the deck into one of the holds of his ship and was killed during operations off the Vietnam coast.
One of my college classmates who enlisted after college in 1969. The best information I have was that he threw himself onto an enemy grenade in order to keep his squadmates from injury during combat operations somewhere in Vietnam.
Another college classmate who made it back home after four years in the Army, two of which were in Vietnam. On 9-11-2001 he had made it in early on his second day of a new job in the North Tower of the WTC in NYC. He was near the top of the building and so was blocked from using the stairwell. He was a good man who, I am sure, greeted St. Peter with a snappy salute upon reporting at the Gates of Heaven.
A neighborhood friend who enlisted after high school in 1965. I found out a few years later, after having moved from my first home to a larger house in the same town to accomodate my baby sister, the last of the 5 of us, that he had lost both of his legs below the knees to a North Vietnamese mine.

The cost of freedom is high. My son has several friends and classmates who have volunteered and suffered various kinds of wounds, both physical and mental, during their tours of duty. Some volunteered and ended up in some notable units; two were in the Screaming Eagles, one was in the 10th Mountain. Most have returned home; one or two have given all, and I sense his loss of those friends. The stories are remarkably similar; the names and places are all that has changed from one generation to the next.

Where do we find such people? I fear too many of us not in uniform are undeserving of the cost they have paid.