Author Topic: Student Enlisted in the Marines  (Read 10224 times)

b5.5dan

Student Enlisted in the Marines
« on: June 02, 2012, 12:02:09 AM »
So, as many of you know, I am a US Government high school teacher. Well, today I got a message from a student I had 2 years ago (he was in my first ever class!) that he had enlisted in the Marine Corps. He has family all around him, but the most they told him was an off-hand "I'm proud" said with all the enthusiasm of someone looking at a week-old Fenway Park Hot Dog. It's a real shame. Anyway, if you ever get bored, send mailto:wahodges411@gmail.com and let him know he's doing an amazing thing.

I'm proud of my students who decide to go the extra mile. I wish their families were as well....  :angry:

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
Re: Student Enlisted in the Marines
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
       Just sent an e-mail to your student. Not much just a thank you but it's more than some of us ever got. Congradulations on your teaching skills, someone was listening.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Offline ZG47

• Firearm Safety Instructor, Shooter, Hunter
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:37:25 PM »
Thank you for telling us. You must have made a good impression on him if he shared the news with you. It is a shame, though, that he is not better connected with his family.

My father's mother put up boarders for years, mostly coal miners. One of those boarders died in the Mediterranean theatre and Johnny (my dad's father) received the next of kin telegram. Knowing him, he would have got straight on the phone or (more likely) used his lifetime bus pass to visit the young man's father, several hours drive away.

You do what you can, do the best to tell the truth and sometimes you can be surprised and gratified by people's reaction to your efforts.

Keep up the good work.
A good shot at close range beats a 'hit' at a longer range.

cjusmc28

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 09:54:25 AM »
Enlisting in the Corps is a step that few have the drive to take. It's not the easy choice as anyone who knows anything about the US military will tell you. On my "boot leave" (10 days leave after completing boot camp) I visited on of my teachers. Teachers have a huge impact I applaud you. 

kevinqjhps

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »
       Just sent an e-mail to your student. Not much just a thank you but it's more than some of us ever got. Congradulations on your teaching skills, someone was listening.

Ain't that the truth. When I got back from Vietnam I tried to join the VFW. They told me NO that Vietnam isn't really a war. It was to the 54,000 who never made it back. I am a disabled Marine and now get the 'welcome, come join us' offers monthly.
The VFW didn't want me then, I don't want them now. God bless those of all branches who put on a uniform.

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 05:32:11 PM »

Ain't that the truth. When I got back from Vietnam I tried to join the VFW. They told me NO that Vietnam isn't really a war. It was to the 54,000 who never made it back. I am a disabled Marine and now get the 'welcome, come join us' offers monthly.
The VFW didn't want me then, I don't want them now. God bless those of all branches who put on a uniform.

Amen to that! And I see you with a Welcome Home.

We have many members here that served in WWII, Korea and I think at least one that did time in Hell also before he retired. And I respect them more than they will ever know. And if you don't mind an Army guy saying it, then “Semper Fi” Marine,  Fair Winds and Following Seas.

If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

Qasoswat

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 12:04:22 PM »
Semper Fi ! Devil Dog.