Author Topic: A "History of Modern Warfare" section  (Read 21370 times)

Offline GhostWarrior

• I'm very humble, you can ask me.
  • Administrator
  • Benefactor & Life Member NRA
A "History of Modern Warfare" section
« on: June 27, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »
       Every weapon I own is considered as "Hot" by everyone in my home and also by my Friends which all have seen the Elephant one way or another. Of course that list is relatively short at this point. But I NEVER have a weapon in a "Cocked and Locked" condition not ever.

Everyone is different and has their own take on how to carry their weapon. I personally have no intrest in having the damn thing go off when I wasn't ready or expecting it to. Let alone shoot myself in the process or worse a ricochet hurt  a non combatant.
If at first you don't succeed, then Skydiving is not your sport.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

Re: A "History of Modern Warfare" section
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 08:53:19 PM »
That's me. I'm a Condition 3 man.  :laugh:
People keep telling me that there is no point unless you are "ready to rock and roll", but I have small children in the house, and have that to worry about. Could the extra second it would take to chamber a round count? Sure. But my kids are in by my nightstand a heck of a lot more than any BGs.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 07:04:39 AM »
     OK so you are going with Condition 1 as "cocked and locked", Condition 2 as "hot"  the hammer down. And condition 1 is "loaded but not Hot"?

Works for me. and ya As soon as My daughter could talk I made sure the weapons were up high and that she KNEW touching them was very very bad. Never had to lay a hand on her to make that happen, she simply accepted the order and never touched my weapons until she was older and I took her shooting. So ya kids scare me to death.

Welcome Home every Veteran and active Service personnel and Thank you from the bottom of my heart for your sacrifice

b5.5dan

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »
Was that Conditions 1, 2, and 3? Then yes, I think. I keep the nightstand pistol fully loaded, empty chamber, hammer down. I need to take my children shooting, but selfishly I haven't bought anything that they can handle easily. And now convincing the wife that we need a .22  isn't working too well...  :cheesy:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »
      I keep the nightstand pistol fully loaded, empty chamber, hammer down.This is what I would call Condition 1 but I'm still trying to figure out the DefCon codes when they scraped them for the color code and I am not ever going to TRY to figure that fecal matter out. Who ever came up with that was doing some serious acid (what ever it was, sure as hell wasn't something mild like a Window Pane or a Christmas Tree mix). {oh umm I said that out loud didn't I? ah would you believe I didn't inhale?}  and then put it into whatever everyone was drinking when he or she or it pitched the idea for the colors.

Anyway, that's as good as you can hope for especially if it's high enough they can't get to it when you are sleeping but you can in a second. As for the .22 for the kids good luck with that Buddy, All us guys are right behind you backing you up, way way back of you and hiding. Wives are scary as heck, Someone else's wife is really scary.

Try telling her that since it's not like a BB Gun they can't manage to put an eye out with it.  :rolleyes:

OK who got that reference and what's it from?  :lipsrsealed:

b5.5dan

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 09:41:01 AM »
Well, even though we are nowhere near stovepipes, we made it to page 3!  :cheesy:

Here's the acid-dropping founder of the modern technique...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper#The_Modern_Technique

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 10:47:30 AM »
      yep we drifted off a tad. Maybe I should run this over to G. D Board, and I had no idea, never read Coopers Bio or anything about him, Good stuff and at least his color code makes sense. The one Homeland uses is not the same as his and theirs is the one I am talking about. They differentiate with a color the difference between a twitch and a tick, When they are damn near the same thing. I am glad they got rid of that color coded crap and when with plain English threat alerts.

b5.5dan

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 10:58:48 AM »
Move the Jeff Cooper info? A "History of Modern Warfare" section sounds like a cool little spot. I like history. It's what I do. History and research, history and research. It's good to get paid for doing what you love!  :cheesy:

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 11:44:29 AM »
Off topic I know but if I EVER try splitting and moving topics again I hope someone puts me down before I actually try doing it. :angry:  Don't get me wrong here, it needed to be done and I am so green at this sort of stuff means I no doubt made it a lot harder than it had to be to get everything where it needed to go. But I really REALLY don't want to try this trick again.  :embarrassed:

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2011, 09:56:54 PM »
Mine and my wife's carry pistols are always loaded and chambered but hammer down and safety on. In my draw motion I can cock the hammer and take it off safe before my pistol is at 90 degrees. Also, my holster has no strap, less to get in the way.

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2011, 12:35:25 AM »
     Good Moves. It's how I allways carried except for the safety part, since with CZ's you can't set to safe unless it's cocked and locked. Which I refuse to do. No that I ever used safeties even when I could use them with the hammer down. But then I got trained differently and a very long time ago, for what I was and who I worked for. So actually even though most folks these days learn the flip off the safety and then take the next step in their trained responce, I actually would probably get myself killed because I forgot to release the safety.

b5.5dan

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2011, 12:20:27 AM »
OK. I'm going to ask you guys. I saw a bunch of videos where the gun was carried in Condition 3 but the guys could chamber a round by "punching air", thus racking the slide and being ready for action. I tried punching air with my RAMI (unloaded, of course), and even without a cart in there to make things difficult, the slide never left battery. Not for a fraction of a moment.

How do they do that? Sloppy recoil spring?

Offline Angryvikingman

• Senior Writer/Editor/Moderator
  • Si Vis Pacem Parabellum
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2011, 09:51:11 AM »
LOL, I watched that and tried it. Got mine to "half cock", and I have an 11lb recoil spring. So that guy must have had a lower poundage than I do. Think I hurt my freaking elbow too. LOL.

b5.5dan

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2011, 11:23:30 AM »
I hurt myself when I tried as well.  :cheesy: But I didn't even get mine to half-cock!

Offline GhostWarrior

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2011, 11:44:14 AM »
     I'm thinking about giving it a try. But with my luck I'll end up with it flying out of my hand and going to pick it up and falling over.  :laugh: