Author Topic: P-10C recoil spring and what is original?  (Read 4035 times)

Offline Bart Noir

P-10C recoil spring and what is original?
« on: June 16, 2018, 01:04:01 AM »
Not my first CZ but this is my 1st post.  I just bought a used-price but basically unfired P-10C.
The 1st owner put on some after-market enhancements and one is giving me trouble.  He put in a stainless steel recoil spring guide rod.  The spring is now loose and it is a lot of trouble to reassemble into the slide.  I have only been successful by using a small clamping pliers (aka vise-grips) to hold the spring compressed on the guide until I can get the guide into place.  I do not like this method.  Not at all.  I may injure myself with trying to find a 3rd hand to compress the spring and clamp onto the guide. 

I simply wonder if the original recoil spring was a captured spring type. I saw one video online which seemed to show that.  The owner's manual and CZ website just show "recoil spring".
Is it a captured spring?  Will CZ sell one to me?
Bart NoirWho is looking forward to discussions of all his other CZ products.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
Re: P-10C recoil spring and what is original?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 01:51:15 PM »
CZ list most parts for the P-10 as not yet available.  Wolff Springs shows lot of springs for the P9 but does not seem to list the P-10 yet .  You might want to call CZ Custom and see if they can help you.   
https://czcustom.com/cz-parts-all/cz-p10-c-parts.html

Offline jimmyj321

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 09:19:47 PM »
The original P10 spring is a 20 LB. captured design. I replaced mine with the SS guide rod and loose spring. You are right. It is somewhat difficult to assemble.

Offline Bart Noir

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 01:34:57 PM »
After CZ joined other manufacturers in designing and testing new pistols for the US Army competition, putting them through extreme endurance testing, why would anyone want to "dink with" a fundamental part like the recoil spring assembly?

Fixing something which isn't broke???  You know the saying about that.

Once you have changed the recoil spring, how do you know you have a truly reliable pistol?  You are happy with "X" number of shots without any failure, but how do you know it will go past "X plus 5" shots?

By buying the pistol, you buy the testing that went with it.  Buy changing parts, you negate the testing you have just paid for.

Bart Noir
Who wants to restore it to the original design.

Offline jimmyj321

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:11:22 PM »
Often, in a rush to get a pistol to market, manufacturers cut some corners to accomplish this. For the pistols I have upgraded, the after market provider is filling a need. One of the most common threads I see is often a replacement firing pin for a model of  pistol that is experiencing broken or deformed pins. Common sense tells me a SS guide rod will be more dependable than the plastic one that comes on most pistols. I am not an advocate of immediately start modifying a new pistol, but research, read, and the users will soon let you know what is going on with a pistol.

Offline Bart Noir

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 01:17:46 AM »
Jimmy, my gunsmith knows that I have "upgraded" many guns, so I am in agreement with your hypothetical shooter.  I only had regrets and needed to undo one mod, when it came to a Glock 43.But again I wonder how I can know that the modification will last 10 or 20 thousand rounds :lipsrsealed:   Those military tests  do stress the items under test very much. 

Anyway, I have the answer to the questions in my first post on this forum and I look forward to being a somewhat regular member.  Nice meeting you, gents.
Bart NoirWho wonders why a gun forum has a spell-checker which thinks "Glock" is a misspelling.

Offline Rodolfo Fierro

• Global Moderator
    • TRAIN 2 SHOOT
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 07:52:02 AM »
Common sense tells me a SS guide rod will be more dependable than the plastic one that comes on most pistols. .
Does anyone else believe that a plastic guide rod acts like a "Shock Buffer" ?  Of course they do not last as long as a steel rod.

Offline techspec6

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2018, 05:30:48 PM »
HB Industries sells a captured steel guiderod and spring.

https://hbindustries.net/store/shop/cz-p10-steel-guide-rod-assembly/

-Jason

Offline Bart Noir

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2018, 07:23:08 PM »
Perfect response and thanks, techspec6 (what happened to the first 5?)

I ordered the recoil spring assembly from HBI and since I was on their website, I just had to go shopping.  The order also includes the trigger kit  :shocked:

I had found that the factory trigger safety sometime caught on the side of the frame opening, at least in dry firing.  So I was planning on removing it and doing some gentle sanding of the offending edges.  But once I saw the HBI titanium colored flat-faced metal trigger, I had to order it.

I've been very happy with some HBI parts which I installed on my Evo Scorpion. 

Bart Noir