Author Topic: Load data  (Read 4635 times)

Offline chfields

• Administrator
Load data
« on: March 31, 2015, 03:28:44 PM »
I just started reloading recently and everything is going great so far. I have been using 124gr Berry bullets w/AA#2 powder and its working great, however, I no longer have the Berry 124's and now will be using Hornady XTP 115gr bullets with the AA#2 powder. The problem is, I can't find any load data for it, only shows 90gr or 124gr. Can anyone help me with load data for this combo?
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Radom

Re: Load data
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:14 AM »
This data is not specific to the Hornady XTP, but it is from an older Accurate Arms paper publication:

Powder: AA #2
Bullet: 115 gr FMJ
Start Load: 4.0 gr
Maximum Load: 4.4 gr
OAL: 1.100"
Max Load Peak: 29,900 CUP
Max Load Veloc.: 1,092 fps

Note the narrow "window" for such a fast-burning powder in 9mm.  If you have been using it with 124 gr bullets, you have some frame of reference, of course. 

I am not a fan of using AA #2 in 9mm for best results. but it is safe and workable.  Your results will be better than factory ammo with good technique. 

Offline chfields

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 01:26:56 AM »
Thanks! I am currently using 3.9-4.0 gr of AA#2 with the 115gr XTP HP with an OAL of 1.06-1.07 and seems to be working well......The 124's I was running before were Berry's RN running 4.2gr AA#2 OAL of 1.16.....Right now I still have around 2lbs of it left and 1lb of the Universal clays. After that I'm hoping to get some titegroup....

Thanks again for the info..it's a big help
CZ 75B SA
Hogue Wraparound Rubber Grips with Finger Grooves
CZ Compact (Steel, No Rail)
CZ Rami BD 9MM
CZ 712 G3 W/extended mag tube
Member USPSA
Member IDPA
Life Member NRA
Captain of the CZForum.com shooting team
Proud Army Dad

Offline noylj

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2016, 01:42:06 AM »
TiteGroup is a whole lot LESS well-behaved than AA2. It burns really hot and can produce pressure spikes. I MUCH prefer AA2.
Berry's are plated, so use lead bullet data. Get the Lyman manual (either standard or cast bullet manual).
124gn lead/plated and AA2: depending on the mix of components, my manuals have a start range of 3.7-4.1gn AA2 and a MAX range of 4.1-4.6gn. I would work up 3.7, 3.9, 4.1. That, in this case, is where I would stop, but, if there are no pressure signs, you could work up to 4.3 or 4.5gn.
For comparison, my manuals don't show TiteGroup loads at all for lead/plated (TiteGroup doesn't always play well with lead bullets), but jacketed data shows start loads of 3.3-4.1gn and MAX loads of 4.2-4.4gn. This is a bit narrower than with AA2.
With a plated bullet, you can usually work up from start to mid-range jacketed data, which would give you pretty much just the starting load range to work in: 3.3, 3.5, 3.7, 3.9, and 4.1gn.
All manuals used modern psi pressure data and all met SAAMI pressure specifications.
If you are shooting for accuracy, then get some Power Pistol, BE86, or Silhouette. If you are into action pistol shooting, I see absolutely no reason to change from AA2.